Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I'm busy, bored, stressed

Busy:

doing a little temp work here and there lately, 
mostly for Dr. B (which I love, it's just like the old days), 

but also a couple of times for a new office.
In which have discovered that it is hard-work being a "temp". 
Always being the new girl.
Never knowing where anything is.
Running late because you're used to having an assistant.
Trying to figure out their way of charting.

And can I just say, I have not taken a legitimate FMX since my days in school 
(just pano's, BWX and PA's as needed)  
and they are BEASTLY!  
You might as well kiss away half of your appointment time, 
because the x-ray head won't reach the opposite side of the patient without a LOT of finagling 
and bumping in to their face,
and the exposure button is all the way down the hall,
and the Dr. doesn't have digital x-rays, 
so you end up in the darkroom using a daylight loader to expose 18 films
and then fumble around while trying to mount them in those tiny, little, plastic sleeves...

I kind of wanted to shoot myself when the third full mouth x-ray walked through my door,
but in the same breath, it was kind of a fun challenge,
and very satisfying when all 3 turned out almost perfect...


Bored:

Cache Valley can't seem to talk the sun in to hanging around longer than a couple of hours at a time, 
so Hazel and I continue to hang around the house most days, 
watching the rain/snow, and longing for the pool, the park, the duck pond, snow cones... 
really anything,
besides the play area at the mall 
or the inside of our house.

Stressed:

For some crazy reason, I agreed to run another half marathon with my brother.  
Between the bad weather, lack of motivation, and trying to find someone to stay with Hazel, I haven't done much training.
In fact, I went out for a 9 mile run on saturday, and by the time I got home I wanted to collapse in to a giant puddle on the ground and evaporate in to the sidewalk.  
My heartrate was fine, my breathing was under control, but my body, 
OH MY BODY! 
Exhaustion, blisters, chaffing, nausea, headache, burning hamstrings... 
Let's just say, things were not quite as optimistic as this run.
Despite the fact that I told my brother I wasn't ready, 
and thought I called off the race altogether,
I'm somehow still planning a 12 mile run on saturday 
and a half marathon the week after that.  

I've got chronic "nervous tummy".

And that's it.  That's what I've been doing.  That's why I haven't blogged.


12 comments:

Melissa Rees said...

Oh Crystal!! Temp work DOES suck, even though I've only do it a few times. I got my tail handed to me in Phoenix where I worked. We had to do an FMX on every new patient and update it every 5 years. I got to where I could do one in 2 1/2 minutes and get them in the machine in 1. It will get better! As for the half-marathon training, keep at it! The longest I ever ran was 6 miles before my race. I did all my training on a treadmill which I am SO grateful for! It's twice as hard to run on one, so running outside is twice as easy. And race day gives you lots of adrenaline too!

April said...

Oh Crystal! I'm sorry. It sounds like things aren't too hot right now. I feel bad because I don't really know just HOW bad it must be because I've never done temp work in anything, and never have ran a 1/2 marathon, which by the way, I think you are totally awesome for doing. Anything over a 5k is a big deal in my book. Warm weather should be here before you know it. No worries. Hang in there, and good luck with your 1/2 marathon! You'll do great!

Mary Ann said...

Temping is hard! Winter is harder! Running is hardest!!!!!
and FMX are absolutely irritating! I could not help but smile at that. I have only taken ten or so since school. Mounting is definately time consuming! You are such inspiration to me. A temping, running mother! How great is your life!! I hope it gets warm and that you are able to run to your heart's desire!

Ali and Andrew Hyde said...

Would you like me to go on a run with you and then you can really see what an out of shape body is like? I'm pretty sure I would barely make it down the road with you- 9 miles is AWESOME! Um, Hello, you are home... I am home... why don't we get together? Don't be surprised if me and Jackson come stop by sometime soon ;)

Mike and Kim said...

"Boo Ya" to the wonder woman you are. The wonder woman title especially goes out to the "bored" portion of the post, surviving dreary weather with a 2 year old really is a great accomplishment.

Sammy said...

That xray mess sounds horrible! you crack me up, hitting them in the face ha ha. sounds like a nightmare, but i bet its kind of nice to get out of the "bored" stage and get to work and have some adult conversations!
I agree, can't logan get something new to do up here in the winter? and would the sun please stay out an entire day? i feel like violet and i will be playing on a blanket in the "backyard" and then the sun goes behind a ginormous cloud and we have to go in cause it's FREEZING.
you'll do great in your race, you are such a champ and so motivating to do these races! good luck

Ostler said...

Crystal, you are the HERO. I just love how good you are at running. It doesn't matter how crappy you felt after---you STILL RAN 9 MILES!!! Oh my gosh. That's so awesome. I am so proud. You are just the BEST! Plus, I wish we lived closer. Penn and I would come hang out with you and (baby) Hazel every.single.day. You know it's true. And it would ROCK. Well, tell Hazel hi and I love her. And I hope it warms up soon. Also, Erik and I are probably coming up the day before graduation- so if you guys will be up there and want to get together, let me know!!! love you guys!!!

Mike and Kim said...

Write one of these for me, because I don't have time.

cheeks said...

oh crystal! i temped a little right out of school....totally blows! yes, being the 'new girl' sucks ...you have to search high and low for everything....you definitely go home exhausted at the end of the day.

FMX----bleh! my office here in OH does them on all NP and every 5 yrs. I hated them at first, then got really fast...until i was 9 mos pregnant...i'd just tell my pt's to take them out for me so they didn't have to wait for me to waddle back to the room 20 seconds later! I'm glad that even after all this time of you NOT taking them that they are still pretty much perfect!! you rock!!

i'm so proud of you for being such a runner! i still need to talk to you about the insanity business. i was 100% for about a week and a half. then i felt like my body was shutting down. it's been a week :( i feel like i'm 80 yrs old. i need you to give me a pep talk! good luck on your 1/2 marathon! you'll be great!

Erica said...

I heard you temped for another office, I bet it was tough-- we are a great office. Dr. B isn't a tough office though to temp for, right? I bet if you went now (without me) it'd be a whole new fantastic experience.

Anyways, I too am feeling all 3 of those things but for completely different reasons. You'll do great with the run! I know you're stressed about it but it'll all work out in the end! I just know you'll do great. And really, eventually I'll star running with you. I'm itching to get back at it ...I still can't laugh, sneeze or cough without my incision hurting.

Come visit please!!

Maria said...

I'm not ashamed to say that I am the Queen of Temping. I can adapt in approximately 30 seconds to ANY office. Ha ha. And you had an assistant?! Dang girl! Assistants are a rare luxury.

Monica said...

Ok...first off-congrats on running another 1/2 marathon! I think it's great, despite that fact, it would kill me to do so right now! Yuck. But good luck with that! ha ha.

I just had to laugh about the dental post. I have never taken a FMX since school...and sure as heck don't want to! Your description made me laugh! It is always hard being the "new girl". Especially when patients say something, and you tell them you are filling in, and they automatically think you suck and don't know what you are doing! I guess it's something we all go through. At least we are able to temp and bring in some extra cash, but not have to have an actual job. That's the bright side, right? And btw, this commission stuff is THE BEST!!!
I miss you and hope all is well!