Saturday, May 15, 2010

On a Saturday Morning...

Would you rather:

1).  Stay in your jammies and watch your "shows" (aka: Wonder Pets) from the comfort of your very own red, Radio Flyer wagon?
OR

2).  Run 8 miles?  Yes, I said 8!
Although I was oh so tempted to do the former, I HAD to go out and do a long run today since I've been putting it off for the last 2 weeks.  
Seriously guys, 8 miles!  

I was the kid in Jr. High that came in from the mile-run in a blazing 22 minutes, totally winded and with the reddest, blotchiest face you've ever seen.

I'm not a runner.  
I've never liked it, I've never been good at it.
(I still don't claim either of those two things) 
but I actually jogged the longest distance of my life this morning and when I finished I felt like a million bucks!

  Last night after I mapped out my route, I called my marathoner father-in-law and got the low-down on how I should actually be running.  With all of his tips in mind I had the best (albeit, not the fastest) run of my life.  
I actually smiled the whole way...
I almost can't believe it myself.

  Top Of Utah half marathon, here I come! 
(maybe....I only said maybe, don't hold me to it)

Post Edit:  I realize that 8 miles to someone who runs 13, 26 or even 50 miles might seem uninspiring. But let's get real here, I'm not one of those people and so I'm giving out a 'Boo Yah' to my 8 miles!

21 comments:

Lonna said...

I would totally pick watching t.v. from the wagon. I am really impressed with you and your dedication. 8 miles, that is awesome!!!

I think that you should tell everyone that you see today that you ran that much and see what they have done with their day. I think that you will win hands down!

Donene said...

oooh, I am impressed! I am not a runner either and you gave me inspiration!

Jed and Kera said...

Crystal Oberg! That is awesome! Look at you! Haha I just love the Hazel watches "her shows" :O)

April said...

Wow Crystal, you are inspiring. 8 miles sounds absolutely horrible. You are quite the wonderwoman.

cheeks said...

crystal! you really are so so amazing! i can barely smile when i run up the stairs!! way to go!

i think i would have opted for red wagon and jammies with hazel today!

cheeks said...

ps....i was just looking at your mother's day pics again and thought i commented. i didn't! what a great day you had! i think it's so sweet that your dad gives everyone flowers! so thoughtful! you look beautiful!

Becka and Bennett said...

Ok I am so proud! Way to go! I told you, you could do it! Wasnt it the best feeling?! You can do anything you put your mind to. It is totally a mind thing. I really hope you run the top of utah. There is just something about accomplishing something that big that makes you feel like a million bucks! DO IT! YOUR AWESOME!

Maria said...

I am so impressed! I couldn't run a quarter mile if my life depended on it. I need to start getting better at cardio.

Melissa Rees said...

Uhhh ya I vote for the wagon. It's totally Super Why and Yo Gabba Gabba at our house :)

Brad and Jen said...

OH...Look at you go girl...That is so awesome! I just love the "Long" runs..."wink wink"...when they don't kill ya!

SHELLYFINCH said...

Her radio flyer is awesome...my oldest is still obsessed with his! EIGHT FREAKIN MILES!!!~Are you nuts? I'm so proud of you! Your seriously inspiring me to get off my fat butt and do something! Thanks!!!!!

Erica said...

Crystal, I'm very very impressed. I was the girl even behind you running the mile. I love how motivated you've become. You're a true inspiration to me. Too bad once I stand up from the computer the motivation leaves me and I eat food....

Carolee said...

Boo Yah! I am totally impressed! And I live with Mr. Runner. Way to kick butt.

The picture of Hazel in the wagon watching TV makes my LAUGH!! And it makes me think of Taylor!

shauni said...

Way to go Crystal! You are going to rock the Ragnar!! I love Hazel's little red wagon, and it's so cute that she's sitting in it in her jams watching cartoons- how grown up is that??

Steven and Megan said...

Geeze.... Great job! :)

Sammy said...

Crystal! Seriously that is amazing! you honestly are an inspiration, i really was one of those kids in P.E. too, red faced the WHOLE rest of the day after the one mile run, people would ask me all day if i was ok. SO not a runner. You really have inspired me to lose my baby weight and get runnin after baby girl is born (inspired... we'll see if it actually happens!) way to go, seriously amazing. LOVE the pictures of Hazel, Erik and I got back last night and we were laughing our heads off, she is so adorable.

hoLLY said...

you rock girlfriend! that is amazing!
i swear as im reading your post its like im reading my thoughts, I feel the same as you about running! I ran a 5k on sat and then we ran back so thats 6.4 and i was happy about that but 8 ! you are amazing! My neighbor keeps bugging me to do the top of utah with her and i just cant bring my self to commit! I think you should do it! whata great accomplishment!
Anyway good work !!
ps love the pic of little H!

Mike and Kim said...

Your eight miles totally impresses me. I remember dreading every other friday at NLJH, where I was forced to run the mile around the field. Take advantage and do the half marathon, the Ragnar and anything else right now while you are in shape -- who knows if you'll ever be this fit again?

Melissa said...

Crystal! I am totally amazed with how dedicated you are! 8 miles is HUGE! Way to go! You'll need to be my personal trainer and teach me how to enjoy running...ugh!

Hazel is so cute sitting in her wagon watching her shows...how long will she watch tv? cute!

Sandy said...

8 miles. That is awesome. I think 9 miles is the longest run I had before I did the half marathon. I think you should totally do it.

If you can recruit someone to do it with you, I think having a partner makes the time go faster. And finishing is such a huge accomplishment.

Monica said...

Way to go Crystal! I am right behind you... I signed up for the Bryce Canyon Half in July...just started my training, so I'm not up to that kind of mileage yet. And I feel like you! I am a total "jogger", if I can even call myself that! HA!
You are totally rockin those skinny jeans!