When I was about three years old,
I suddenly grew a head full of gorgeous
long, straight, blonde hair.
Throughout my younger years
I always wanted to cut my hair,
which my mom firmly discouraged me from doing.
(love you, mom!)
She always told me that my hair was my
"crowning glory"
and kept a pretty tight reign on things...
Until
I got old enough to start making my own decisions,
and in true fashion of wanting what you don't have,
I spent a lot of years
perming, dying, bleaching,
curling, straightening and cutting my hair
(until about 4 years ago,
when I decided that I liked my head full of
long, straight, blonde hair).
So when my little, bald, firstborn
sprouted a head full of thick, beautiful, blonde hair;
I felt pretty good about my genetics on display.
But then one day
she came to me
and said she wanted to cut her hair "short".
Suddenly I had flashbacks
of my mom's "discouragement" of haircuts,
and finally understood
where my mom had been coming from.
However,
having been on the other side of "hair oppression",
I felt it my obligation to foster her feelings of independence concerning her hair,
much to my dismay.
Luckily,
my little sister is a Cosmetologist
and if anyone was more hesitant
about cutting Hazel's hair than me,
it was her.
I knew I could trust her to be conservative,
while still allowing Hazel to flex her autonomy.
And so,
we made a trip to Dexterity
so that Hazel could get her hair cut "just like Suzi's"
(a blunt, shoulder-length cut).
Of course we had to make a day of it
by stopping at the Disney Store first.
Before:
After:
While she looks darling with her shorter 'do',
I can now happily report
that Hazel is ready to grow her hair long again.
1 comment:
I'm obsessed with Hazel's hair. I would die for hair like that! She looks darling with both long and short hair.
Post a Comment