Monday, April 30, 2012

Birthday Celebration Part I... FAIL!

Back in March, Hazelnut turned 3!
I had racked my brain, 
trying to decide how I wanted to celebrate her birthday on a Monday.

We had just got back from Vegas the night before, and we had to be back in Logan for Taylor to work.
That cancelled out a celebration at Chuck E Cheese in Layton with the families.

In the midst of moving and packing I was in no mood to have a handful of pre-schoolers running in my house,
so that cancelled out a friend party in Logan.

And, 
the fact that Hazel's "best friends" are spread between Logan and Layton and everywhere in between,
made hosting a friend-party 
at the Fun Center, 
in Logan, 
on a week-night 
next to impossible.

The decision was made that we were just going to have a simple celebration with the three of us on her birthday,
and throw a big family party the following sunday.

I thought this compromise would satisfy everyone,
but Hazel kept asking when her friends were going to come to her party...
fail!

We went to the store to get the girl some balloons, 
which happened to be the main request for her birthday.
It also happened to be the windiest, stormiest day we'd had in a long time.
Just as I was opening the front door, 
and congratulating myself for making it home with a bunch of balloons 
in a tiny car, 
with a load of groceries, 
a 3-year-old, 
a pregnant body, 
in the midst of a tornado;
 a giant gust of wind blew those damned balloons into a bush 
and popped two of them...
fail!

Hazel isn't a birthday cake kind of girl, 
but was insistent that we make a cake,
so I suggested cupcakes.
We both agreed to Lemonade Cupcakes with Fresh Raspberry Buttercream Frosting.
Hazel helped me whip them up,
 and could hardly control her picky, little fingers when i told her they were too hot to eat.
 We opened presents when daddy got home from work,


and sat down to a menu per Hazel's request:  
Quiche and Strawberries
 Then we took her to the Fun Center where she could play arcade games to her little heart's content
(which must be noted is her FAVORITE thing to do.  
Every coin she finds on the ground is saved so she can play arcade games).
 Thankfully Aunt Karli met up with us,
and took my usual place 
chasing and playing with Hazel in the giant soft-play
(Bless you Karli!  
I don't think my pregnant body could have handled all of the kneeling and climbing),

 and "roller skating" in the empty space behind the soft-play.
Maybe next time I'll actually pay for you to roller skate so you won't have to pretend, 
hahaha... 
fail!
Hazel could hardly wait to get home and try her cupcakes.
After tasting the frosting earlier, she asked for one without.
After tasting the cupcake without, 
she decided she just wanted to eat more strawberries
and then asked me why I didn't just make her a cake like she wanted....
fail!

Who knew it would be so hard to live up to a 3-year-old's expectations!?

Thankfully, I have the sweetest little girl ever;  
she was so happy despite all of the hiccups in her day.
Love you little bug, Happy Birthday!

8 comments:

Jed and Kera said...

If it makes you feel any better I planned out and bought all the stuff for Dalton's Pirate Party (which was his second choice after I told him he couldn't have a Pink Party). After all the planning and money spent for food and decorations, I forgot to send out the invites and didn't remember until Friday, which was the day before....big fat fail. :O) Happy Birthday to Hazel!

Sammy said...

She is SO BIG! Seriously she has grown like a foot, her hair has grown about a million inches, she just looks so much older! Oh I miss that sweet Hazel girl. She is so sweet and looks like it was a success despite all the "fails". but I'm sorry! I know how it is to plan all these things and then have it end up raining (literally in our case) on your parade. Give that sweet girl kisses for us, and I will get her present sent ASAP! I feel so bad, but this way you'll get 2 for the price of one.
PS we should skype soon so we can see you guys! Violet would love to see "Crys" "Tay Tay" and "Hayz".

Melissa Rees said...

Sometimes parties are just hard to plan! I did two for Evan and still hardly anyone showed up. Grr.... Love the Foofa doll! Big Yo Gabba Gabba fans at our house!

cheeks said...

you totally didn't fail! it looks like a blast....she will totally remember that she loved her birthday!

Erica said...

Haha on no!!!! I'm so sorry. birthdays are tricky... I've only experienced one. and how could she not be a cake girl??? This is blowing my mind. She is a sweet girl. 3 years ago she was born! I can't believe how fast that has gone. I need to hang out with her. if she likes babies we can do something at the fun park. next time you can invite me.. id be there with bells on!

Steven and Megan said...

Hazel is getting so big! Looks like she got some fun presents and those cupcakes look tasty. I think it looks like she had a great birthday :)

April said...

Happy Birthday to Miss Hazel! Crazy to think she is three years old. I think you did a great job with her birthday. 2 going on 3 year olds can be a tough crowd to please. I think it's awesome that Miss Hazel has so many friends/family groups to choose from to celebrate her birthday.

Mary Ann said...

It doesnt look like a fail to me! How great that the two of you baked cupcakes together!!! That is way cool.