Thursday, July 07, 2011

4th of July 2011

I don't even know where to begin.  
So much fun, so many pictures;
So I'll keep the narrative short

We celebrated the 4th of July, 
in an over-the-top, 
gluttonous, 
all weekend, 
sort of way.

Too bad Hazel spent the entire holiday with a fever, 
throwing up 
and giant cankers in her throat.  
Most of her time was spent like this:
although she did perk up a little to give us a cross between a sexy dance and the "Elaine Benes"




 We had a really great movie night in the backyard.

 We had a delicious "Breakfast Dinner",
complete with hula dancing,


and fireworks.

We had to work off at least some of the food we'd been eating, 
so we did a 5k/10k race on 4th of July morning. 

And just as a little treat for everyone, 
I will include a picture of the 5k-walk gold medalist.
  That's right folks, 
my mom took first place out of 60 women; 
this girl has legs like a gazelle, 
I'm not even kidding.  
Boo-yeah mama!

After our race, 
we partied it up Frost-style 
with inflatable toys and water games

and then moved the party up north to the Obergs, where we continued right on eating

We went to the fireworks, 
where I got a little carried away taking pictures of the glow sticks.

And concluded the fun with 4-wheeling adventure the following day...

...that was, perhaps, a little too adventurous.
(Mike, you're my hero.  Thanks for saving me)

15 comments:

Frost Family said...

#1-Yes, my leg does look HUGE in that photo- Daniel Bolt

#2-How do you get that upside down on the 4 wheeler, that takes talent...

Mary Ann said...

Wow! are you ok? How did you do that to a quad? Your mom is amazing! I see where you get it from! And looking at the dancing skills of your daughter she will be the same! Wahoo! What a fun time you have with families.

Jed and Kera said...

Fun post! We sure miss you guys! We were somewhat the same for the 4th. Dalton had Hand, Foot, and Mouth and would never go away! Hey we will be in SLC sometime between September 19th and the 23rd before heading to Twin Falls for Jed's brother's wedding. I'll give you a better estimate when I can but PLEASE pencil us in at some time.

leah jane said...

Ha! Hazels dance has me totally cracking up. It's a total Elaine! And what a fun-filled weekend. Happy belated fourth!

Sammy said...

That is so scary! Glad you are ok?! you'll have to tell me all about it. what a great weekend, isn't the 4th the best?! so fun, Way to go Susan! That is so impressive, first out of 60 women! love the cute hula dancer and mini elaine, too funny

Susan said...

I am laughing and crying at this post--what a fun time we had!!! All that planning was worth it--I have a FABULOUS family! P.S. good thing I wasn't there for your independence day after crash--I am freaking out just looking at it---Love you so much, do not ever do that again--can't wait for the festivities to continue next week at Lake Powell....

Erica said...

I had so many things to say throughout this entire post but then all was lost as soon as I saw your injury. What on earth happened?! That should have been a post all in itself I'm sure!

anyways, when did Hazel learn to become such a dancer? I rewatched that video a couple times(the first video) it was hysterical!

Mike and Kim said...

Mr. False Start, I definitely won those races, defying stereotype once again.

Every once in a while I think back to the moment when I saw the four wheeler upside down in the trees, and it makes me laugh. I wasn't expecting that, based on your statement that it was "in the bushes."

Good times. Fun family. Glad Hazel is feeling better. Have fun in Lake Powell.

Melissa Rees said...

Lol my sister did the exact same thing with a 4 wheeler, and took a picture of it too! Hope Hazel is feeling better!

April said...

So much to say about this post--first, wowser! Are you ok!? You looked pretty scraped up. I get nervous on 4 wheelers because I always hear stories about them flipping upside down. I'm glad you weren't more injured.
Second, I just love you and Hazel's 4th of July outfits! You look smokin' hot Crystal!
And finally, I think you have a little dancer on your hands. Loved the videos! And you're right, the first one is very Elaine-esque. Glad you had a happy 4th.

cheeks said...

um hello....please try NOT to kill yourself before i get to see you again! i didn't drive all the freaking way across the country (with 2 kids) to not be able to see you! haha!

i hope you are ok!! you will have to fill me in on what happened. you guys are having waaaay too much fun :) i will have to try your amazing steaks and "soup!" hazel is hilarious!

i will call you! what about getting together towards the end of next week? possibly? i'm not really sure what's going on....

hoLLY said...

oh my goodness!! Im so glad you are okay!! scary! yikes! your arm!
but overall looks like you guys had a such a fun 4th!!! Hazel is hilarious!

shauni said...

What a fun weekend! I love all of Hazel's red, white and blue outfits. I also love her dance moves- we need to get her and Abbi together sometime for a dance party, it would be a riot! Way to go on the 5K, I am so impressed by Susan and Carolee (and she claimed she's not a runner) I guess we have two more options for team members when we decide to do the Ragnar again. I'm glad you weren't hurt in the four wheeler incident, it looks like some serious business.

Colby said...

I'm sure Mike wove a tapestry of expletives when he saw the 4 wheeler. I'm thinking that your wreck may cast a shadow on my wave runner crash. Thank you.

paige and jord said...

okay first of all.. im kind of peeing my pants at hazels video at the top. are you kidding me?!? i miss that little GENIOUS girl.
and i LOVE your outfit on the fourth. it makes me want to go shopping.
and i get sympathy pain REAL bad so you can imagine how much my arms hurt looking at those pics. OUCH girl. are you okay?!?
oh ya, and we miss you guys alot! you should just move down here already.