Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Father's Day Eatingfest 2011

Once in a millenium,
a meal will come along that will absolutely change your life forever.

This is that meal:

(unfortunately, I was in a big freaking hurry to eat it
and ended up with a terrible picture.
Please get a better look here,  it does it so much more justice)

It was my Mom's birthday AND Father's Day so we had my parent's up to our house for dinner.
I was looking for something special to make 
when I ran across the most amazing looking/sounding meal on my friend's blog (see link above).
I don't really like gorgonzola 
(a little too much funk if you ask me)
or even steak for that matter 
(just something about chowing down on a huge hunk of bloody animal...)
but I knew that my family did,
so I decided to trust Alison's culinary judgment, 
and make all new recipes for my dinner.
I was hoping it would be a hit
and it was,
oh it WAS
In fact, I would willingly give my arm for just ONE more bite.
So would Hazel.
She thought the cream sauce was soup and took a big sip out of the serving bowl.
And like a junky, all it took was that one sip 
to get her hooked.
She'd get so upset when I wouldn't let her drink more "soup" from the bowl,  
so we compromised;
She dipped her fries in it,
dipped her artichoke in it,
and dipped her fingers in it,
but finally, grandpa gave in and just resorted to giving her spoonfuls.
Yes, it was THAT good.
(It must be noted that both Alison and I substituted Gorgonzola for the Roquefort cheese)

Recipe links follow:

To my parents:
Thanks for coming up here to spend your holidays.
Thanks for giving me a reason to make such a fattening delicious meal.
And thanks for accompanying us on our inaugural visit to Logan's Summerfest Arts Faire
(it only took us 4 years to get there)

We had so much fun entertaining my family,
that we decided to celebrate Father's Day 
with Taylor's family the following evening.

Per Taylor's request, I made fondue.
I wish I could say it turned out as well as my culinary masterpiece the night before,
or even just as good as it normally does,
but it didn't,
which was bugging,
because normally it's SOOO good.

The fondue was too thin, the veggies were too soft, the bread was too crunchy 
and the keilbasa was too cold
(at least that was my opinion.
Everyone else told me how delicious it was.  
If only they knew what it was supposed to taste like...)
But, nothing saves face like dessert,
which did turn out good,
judging by the scarcity of leftovers

And finally, 
a big, fat (literally-oh the gluttony...), Happy Father's Day to my man.
What a great father you are. 

We love you "big papa"!

9 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you, thank you Crystal and Taylor--it was absolutely the best steak I have ever had!!!! It truly was an "Eatingfest"!!! As equally great, it was just fun to be with the three of you--you're the best!! (and everyone must get these recipes--the dessert was to die for...)

Erica said...

Oh dear goodness...please do not post posts like this anymore. I LO-LO-LOVE gorgonzola. But I would probably try with the other cheese if your little girl can drink it up. You guys have some of the most extravagant meals. If dinner wasn't prepared in one pot I feel all fancy...actually that's not true it takes special ingredients...which would be gorgonzola- all useless information for a comment, sorry. Was that really your first year to Summerfest? I swear we've talked about it before? Again, I love summerfest, only for the food really though.
That cheese fondue, I can say, is stupendous.

I'm going to start gnawing on my hand now...thanks!

leah jane said...

Oh man, steak with creamy sauce is like a dream it's so good. I've made one with brie but I'll have to try this 'cause it looks so good. What a fun day!

hoLLY said...

oh crystal.... all this delicous food is making my mouth water!! yum
! Im so impressed by your cooking skills(im the worst so im always impressed when people cook),,,good job girl! Your blk outfit and brown belt is to die for ..love it!

Becca said...

You are quite the chef! That seriously looked amazing. We need to go boating together.... I keep hoping for a Lake Powell invite! We missed you at the wedding it was so fun to visit with Ron and Susie~

Mike and Kim said...

We are going to make that sauce. Sold.

Sammy said...

that dinner looks amazing! I love your friends blog, I've come across it here and there and love her! I didn't know you were friends, how lucky! :) thanks again for the delicious fondue, I love fondue thanks to you and I thought it turned out great!

April said...

So your food looks delicious! I am not creative when it comes to cooking, but I think I must try these recipies, but I am a little doubtful that it will turn out as good as yours did. Thank you for posting the links! Also, you look GORGEOUS in that picture Crystal! You are a so stylish and you look so skinny and fit...sigh. Can I just model my life after yours?

Susan said...

Crystal--mom just showed me your post and the pictures of our fabulous meal and it reminded me of our sumptuous it really was! Whenever I think of steak I will remember that one as one of the truly best steaks I have ever eaten!! (love that gorgonzola) The Brazilian lemonade and Russian Cream (how international...) was also fantastic. Thanks for having mother and I up to share such a fun evening. Love, Dad