Friday, March 18, 2011

Stop number two:

Immediately after we returned home from the wedding weekend, I did some laundry, turned right back around the following day, and Hazel and I hopped on a plane bound for my brother's house in Washington D.C.

Mike was off (again) on an African stint for work, leaving Kim home with the kids for a month.  I figured since I was a stay-at-home mom, and Kim was a stay-at-home mom, we might as well be stay-at-home moms together.

Now, believe you me, I get worked-up over even the most benign conversation about polygamy (are there really any "benign" conversations about polygamy?), but after two weeks together, I've decided that having a "sister wife" is awesome sauce... two full-time moms!?!?  It was fantastic.  
I took care of the house and meals, while Kim took care of the kids.  
Grocery shopping, playdates, bathing, park trips, birthday parties, bedtime routines...all with 4 sets of hands.  Of course Kim and I were chronically exhausted, and usually had at least one loss of composure during the course of a day, but overall, I would highly recommend it 
(obviously minus the 'husband sharing' part).

60% of the time was spent supervising Hazel and Henry, who despite their mutual announcement that they were 'best friends', spent almost all of their time fighting and yelling at one another

35% of the time was spent in preparation for the multiple birthday parties that Kim threw for Megan's 'golden birthday'.

and a mere 5% was spent on sweet baby Eli, who was featured in only one of my pictures and although got plenty of loving, was the one that required the least of our attention (thank heaven for the vibrating chair).  I guess that's what you get when you're low man on the totem pole.
  

I know I said that Mike wasn't there, but I arrived a couple days before he left so I could see him. 

P.S.  Don't let this picture fool you, it might look like Mike knows what he's doing, but there's a reason he studied Political Science and not Chemistry.  I really should have taken an 'after' picture when red vinegar-water was clinging to ever last inch of the dining room.  

Although the science set claims to be for ages 5 and up, it really should take 'father's that don't read directions' into consideration. 

Good thing Meg had her safety goggles on.
 
 
 
 
 
 I had to visit my favorite cupcakery from our previous visit to Georgetown
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And, although it may look like it, Henry is not crying because he's wearing a princess dress, but rather because his poor, little fingers were getting crunched.  
I'm sorry Mike, but when Henry saw Hazel in a princess dress, he insisted on being a princess too... not a king, or a prince (per Kim's request), but a princess.
and there you have it folks, the fastest two-week "vacation" I've ever been on.

Next stop: 
5 days at my parent's house

7 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Whew! I love that you said a sister wife is awesome sauce! I get asked quite a bit about being a sister wife. It is my hot button also. Especially with current media spot lights. ugh.
But I am laughing at you Crystal! Thank you for cracking me up. I see your reasoning and respect your opinion. I love it! What a great post. Your life is wonderful.

Grandma and Grandpa Mac said...

Crystal everyday I thank the Lord that you were able to be with Kim during her time of need. I don't know how Kim could of done it without you...Thank You.

P.S. You know being Kim's mom I would have to quit my job to save her. I"m happy to say that I didn't quit my job and I give you credit for that.

Erica said...

Oh my heck, Henry is my favorite little man! I'm almost getting teary eyed over how adorable he is, especially in the dress. My niece and nephews are the same way, saying they're bffs yet yelling and screaming the whole time at one another. Well, as for the pologamy thing- thank you for not wanting to share your brother with his wife in that way. But I've always felt that way as well, if some other woman wanted to clean up dinner after I made it, more power to them. Heck, I'll even share my husband I guess ;) Ok, who am I fooling, I'm the most jealous person I know.

Mike and Kim said...

I looked back at your last D.C visit, and what a jammed packed visit of fun and sites. I think this trip was just as jammed packed with a little different fun and sites. But don't forget you saw the White House from the car as you were throwing gold fish back to Hazel.

And you look super skinny in front of Georgetown cupcake, we should have bought those jackets.

I am so glad that you came to visit. We were a great duo. Just remember the good moments, like when the kids were sleeping. I couldn't have done it without you. THANK YOU FOREVER! I would be a sister wife with you any time, besides the whole shared husband thing.

April said...

I bet your sister-in-law loved having you there too. And how great that Hazel got to spend all of that time with her cousins. Mmmm cupcakes sound good right now too. I bet they were good huh?
P.S. Colby's "golden birthday" is in like a week. If you have any great ideas, please please please pass them on. I'm a little desperate.

hoLLY said...

dang girl!! you have been crazy busy! how fun!
that cupcake place looks awesome!
Im lovin all the pics with Hazel & her cousins..so cute!

Sammy said...

That is hilarious, Paige and I were thinking the same thing about polygamy! Love it, looks like you had a fabulous time in DC, lots of work, that sweet Eli is too cute, the Golden Birthday looks like it was so darling, Hazel is getting so big, I can't believe she is going to be 2 on Saturday! Wow, she looks so adorable in those pictures