Day 1- Get on the flight at 8:45 am. Fly to Cincinnati. Arrive in Cincinnati at 2:30 pm only to find that your connecting flight to D.C has been canceled and that the employee at your gate can't help you because she was "too busy". Go to the Delta help desk and have the employee there cheerily tell you that your flight was canceled due to "availability of crew" and that you have been re-scheduled for another flight the following day at 11:00 am and to not worry, Delta is going to comp your hotel room and give you a 7 dollar food voucher..... Ask her if you can get on another flight that leaves today. She too tells you she can't help you and to use the black phones on the wall to call Delta and take it up with someone at the call center. You do. You are on the phone for half of an hour. They finally get you on a United flight that leaves at 7:15 pm. They also give you a 7 dollar airport lunch voucher that barely gets you a meal at McDonalds. You wait around for 5 hours. The 7:15 flight was delayed. You finally get on the flight. The pilot gets on the speakers and tells you that you will be touching down in 20 minutes. You finally land 45 minutes later after multiple circles around the airport and serious airsickness from all the circles. You go to baggage claim, your bags never come out. You file a lost baggage report, United tells you that they will deliver your bags tomorrow. You finally get in the car with Mike and Kim who had been waiting for 2 hours.
Side note- You were originally supposed to have a non-stop flight to D.C. but a few weeks earlier they informed you that they had made a change to your itinerary to include a layover... You are angry.
The 5 hour wait
Finally eat the cake that was supposed to be eaten the night before when we were supposed to arrive at 4:45 pm and celebrate little Meg's birthday. She was very patient.
Day 3- Mike goes to work and Kim takes Megan to her Notes class. You and Taylor visit the Holocaust Museum and every single monument and memorial D.C. has to offer (almost). You take tons of pictures at each monument. However you only post a few of your favorite.
World War II Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
The White house
Get your nails done at Spa Megan... They look fantastic.
Enjoy one of the best hamburger and fries you've ever eaten at Five Guys and Fries and accompany Mike and Kim to the symphony at the Kennedy Center.
Thank you for everything Mike and Kim. You are great hosts and we had a fantastic time!
P.S. If anyone is interested, Taylor shaved off his "Taylor Bear" look and went for the Deputy Oberg look instead. He still hasn't shaved it off...
28 comments:
Looks like you guys had a great time, and I love your white coat. I am going to try and keep my husband from seeing the last picture of Taylor, I do not want him to get any ideas.
I saw the picture, but I am still enthralled with the bear look. I am hoping next time Megan sees me she will have two bear uncles. I ordered a box of Rogaine today to speed things up.
I am more than impressed at all the things that you were able to fit in your trip. I am sorry about the awful mishaps that you had on the flights there. Sometimes I hate flying.
Loved the sightseeing pictures, and I have to say that those little cupcakes sure did look yummy, and cute too. I like how Megan is holding it like a treasure. I am sure that it felt like one after waiting in line for it.
You look great for having to deal with all the airport drama, you don't look frazzled or upset in anyway. I am glad that you were able to capture a picture of Mikes (shared) office. I was starting to think that he was the office mail guy. So glad that you had a nice trip, what fun place are you headed to next? Hawaii. Europe. Texas.
The moral of this story is:
A) If you travel with Crystal EXPECT your luggage to get lost (remember the family cruise in 2004).
b) Whenever you go visit Mike and Kim your flight will be delayed, overbooked, cancelled or even DAYS late (also remember your trip to visit Mike & Kim in Texas).
c) Crystal and Taylor have the "Most Unlucky Travelers" Hex!! Travel with them at your own risk!!
d) Consider a trip to visit Jared & Carolee in Vegas. We can guarantee an on-time arrival(exactly when you want) AND with ALL of your luggage!
Ha! Looks like you had a fun trip dispite your travel woes!!
PS The correct answer is D
Oh my gosh, what an awesome trip, I am jealous, I love DC, it is so great, and you guys packed a TON of stuff in, I am very impressed! At NYU March is "Mustache March" Bryan thought about growing one like that, Taylor is so fun!
ps. You are totaly in the "mormoms without offspring" club, we need to start another one of "mormons without offspring, bringing home the baccon while putting spouce through post-grad degrees!" ROCK ON!
The trip looked awesome! I just want to say that the last pic is less deputy oberg and more lead singer of metallica oberg. Whatever the case, i think taylors grooming habits are hilarious! I guess you can do that kind of stuff when you dont have a "real Job".
What fun we are to visit. Let this be a lesson to anyone who is considering coming.
P.S. I was saving your pictures, and I'm surprised at the blurriness of some of them -- have you been checked for bells palsy? Do you ever accidentally jab your patients with a scaler?
P.P.S. Less like "Deputy Oberg" and more like "the guy who was driving that pickup truck with the full-on flag pole and flag in the bed of the truck."
p.p.p.s. I was under the impression that my posture was improving. I guess not.
I think "frostfamilysouthweber" forgot to comment on our post, which was up first.
A pox on your house.
I love DC and the whole area! It is really cool you shared with us! And by the way I like 'Deputy Oberg'. Sorry about all the sucky flight issues. I really hate layovers!
Crystal I am so nervous to move there! It was very reassuring and a bit over whelming to see all there is to do there! Those pictures with you and little Meg are so stinking cute! We think you are the greatest auntie crystal and unky Tay! Dont you question where you stand with Ashden he secretely adores you both!haha :) Cant wait to see you guys in a couple weeks!
P.S. We did miss you guys over the weekend it just wasnt the same with out ya... but are still planning all the same fun hikes and adventures when you guys come for graduation.... totally looking forward to it!
Wow! I’m impressed with how much you were able to squeeze into your trip. You need a vacation from your vacation. I am super jealous of all of the fun things you were able to do/see! What a great experience.
Your little niece Megan is SO cute. I love the picture of her holding your purse and painting your nails.
Are those Sprinkles Cupcakes? I’ve only seen those on my favorite tv show on E!. They look yummy.
You look super cute in all of your pictures. I love the LONG blonde hair. What a hottie!
And finally, Taylor is funny. What a REAL MAN!
Crystal- You are such a doll and I enjoyed taking a mini tour of D.C. with you. I thoroughly enjoyed the part about the airport issues. Hope you had fun!
That is so fun! I've been to D.C. once before, and I just loved it, Iwo Jima was definitely my favorite. looks like you guys had a great time! thats good you got to spend some time with your brother and his family. We were sad you guys weren't there with us in Vegas, but i'm sure you had fun there too! I guess we're having taylors b-day on sunday? see you then!
Frickin DC! I wanna go to DC... Cass says its awesome. Your Husby looked a bit like Scott Brennan when he was bearded!
P.S.- I was dressed like Magneto of course! (Well, I photoshopped the helmet on). But, Strong Bad would've been cool. Sorry to disappoint you : (
First things first. Alisha and Noel look so much alike! I'll admit that when Noel was first born she didn't look like Alisha at all, but now they are exactly alike.
Second. The picture with you trying to get the snot from Megs nose (and you have your tongue out) reminds me of the year 1992. when every kid in the world would stick out there tongue because they swore that it helped them pass that damn savannah level in "The Lion King." Video game. Or the tank level on mario 3 when you have the coon suit.
P.S. The comment on alisha's blog was made by my wife. and that was her first comment ever and you made fun of her. She is crying as we speak... she isn't sure if she will ever leave a comment again...
Thanks dream ruiner.
You are a great aunt, even if you don't pick her nose for her! Letting her paint your nails is great. I'm nervous about travelling with you, you'll probably make it so Chelsea will NEVER do anything outside of Utah again.
Those cupcakes look delicious! Too bad you only had a slim selection. You're on a trip, you gotta do whatever you gotta do to enjoy that trip.
Looks like you guys had a fun trip! Glad you finally got your bags! D.C. is a lot of fun and very educational!
Crystal, i'm very sorry for calling you a "dream ruiner" it was ruthless. Megan wasn't really crying. i just said that to make you feel worse. so again i'm sorry. but i'm not sorry about the tongue comment because it is true. i used to get cold sores because i would stick my tongue out like that.
Well, the photo originaly wasn't magneto, but I figured since i had a photo of me in a cool suit I'd just put the helmet on it! Haha! I'm resourceful like that
crystal! I am really sorry columbus wasn't closer to cincinnati...that would have been so great to see you guys!! You look so cute...i can't believe how long your hair is! I CAN, HOWEVER, believe how long Taylor's is (was)! You look very fashionable in that white coat!
I'm glad you had a good trip...minus the whole airport/flight issues/baggage issues scenario...(i always think of it this way...at least it makes the trip more memorable right---how bout part of our honeymoon in pocatello?!)
Little Meggy is too cute! I love the pic of her painting your nails...she's got talent!! you guys got a lot in...i hope to visit DC while we're living "out east."
ONE LAST COMMENT...Taylor could totally hang out with Brett at school...some of the guys in class do "mustache mondays." i haven't let brett do it yet because i think the stache is for molesters, but you know he can grow a mean one!! ha ha
Cant wait to see your new hair pictures...? RED? You're my idol! Will you please go to hair school so that you can do my hair...we'd get to see each other every 8 weeks! :)
What a good trip! You really did pack a lot in. So... how is it making out with Yaylor and all that hair? Just curious.
That looks like so much fun, what an awesome trip. D.C. has so many great things to see and do, hopefully we'll get to visit soon. I'll use your blog to plan our itinerary! Sorry about your airport issues, glad you finally got there!
Haha, I haven't had a chance to read this entry yet but i had to reply to the comment you left on my blog: I figured with the plethora of comments you receive it'd be that much easier to overlook mine, and, my internet is poo (but free!) so whenever I've tried to post a comment in the past it wouldn't let me. But I pledge to be more commentative in the future, because I know how fun it is to read others' comments. I miss you! I will call soon, love you tons and tons and now I will proceed to ready your most recent entry, you make me laugh so hard, I love it!
I thought your napkin at the Moroccan restaurant was a skirt over your pants! I was thinking how stylish you usually are and was wondering if that was taken when you still hadn't gotten your luggage...then I noticed everyone else's "skirts". Whew! Travel as much as you can while you're still babyless, but even if you have one by the time we're in Monterey (CA) you have to come stay with us, then we'll finally go to San Fran like we always talked about.
Oh looks so fun! I am jealous, I want to visit D.C also.
Post a Comment