Wednesday, January 19, 2011

she really does say the darndest things

I'm sure everyone feels this way about their kids, but I seriously think that Hazel is so funny.  She says the craziest things.  I've been writing them down, and thought some of you might enjoy a little peek into the mind of my one and half year old.

Hazel was rubbing lotion on all of her body parts and naming them as she went "put it on my legs, put it on my face, put it on my chubs...."  (we call her chubby-double-chin, her "chubs" and apparently it is now the anatomical name)  
-19 mos

Hazel is very polite and uses her magic words ALL of the time.  She says 'please', 'excuse me', and 'thank you' to everyone and everything.  We have a giant bean bag in our living room.  One day I heard her trying to squeeze past it and then heard her say "excuse me bean bag"  
 -20 mos

I was cleaning the bathroom and Hazel kept coming in to see what I was doing.  I kept telling her to go out because I was working with 'poison' (a basket of cleaning supplies) to which she replied "but mom, your poison looks SO cute!"
 -21 mos

During a heated discussion that Taylor and I were having, he told me I was being a 'sourpuss'.  Immediately Hazel became very concerned and said "stop, STOP dad!"  We asked her what she wanted dad to stop doing, to which she replied "stop talking to mom about 'octopus'"   
-21 mos.

Hazel's grandpa was telling her how cute she was.  She replied back to him "I'm cute and smart".
 -21 mos

One night at dinner I was telling Hazel that we were going to start potty training her soon.  Immediately she stopped eating, got a huge smile on her face, looked at Taylor and said "come on dad, let's get our coats; we're going on the potty train".  
-21 mos.

Hazel was playing with Taylor's parent's dog, Ruby when I heard her say "ewww... Ruby smells like breath".
 -21 mos.

Taylor and I had decided that if/when Hazel ever pointed out body parts, that we were going to call them by their correct anatomical names.  So of course, I ended up being the one that had to explain her 'girl parts' to her when she asked about them.  I took it a step further and told her about the difference between girls and boys to which she responded "that's awesome mom!".
- 20 mos 

20 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Ha ha ha ha I can see you and Hazel and Taylor getting your octupus, chubs and coats and getting on the potty train. Ha ha ha. How do you two make such a lovely thing? ha ha ha

Sammy said...

Oh my GOSH! I'm laughing my head off, she is so hilarious! "That's awesome!" oh Hazel, she IS cute AND smart! ha ha, so darling. She makes me laugh so hard. I can't wait until Violet starts talking, I'm sure she won't be talking that well for a few years though, so darn cute.

leah jane said...

So cute!! I love reading these funnies from Hazel.

cheeks said...

she seriously talks like she's an adult! i love it! what a little smarty! so great that you've recorded all these things! thanks for making me laugh!!

Melissa Rees said...

Love it!! deacon recently noticed "the girls" and likes to pat them--in public. Terry's mom said she used to call them "tv's" so it wasn't so embarrassing in public!

April said...

Hazel has such EXCELLENT language skills for a girl her age. So so cute! My favorite one had to be when she said the dog smelled like breath. I don't know why, but that just cracked me up.

Donene said...

I love that you are writing them down, because trust me you will forget. She is so smart and adorable. I bet you love living with her!!

Erica said...

I do love the chubs. And I especially love her response to learning there is a difference between boy and girl parts. I really hope I get to see that lil thing soon. Sometimes I really wish my dogs could talk...granted they are now 21 and 35 years old...I would love to hear what they have to say to us. And won't it be nice when I have an actual child to compare to your child rather than my dogs. Apologies.

shauni said...

She is hilarious. It's hard for me to imagine her talking that much, I still picture her as a little baby girl. I love the "potty train" comment, what a riot. Also, I'm sooo glad to hear that the potty training is going well for you. Yeah Hazel! (and Crystal, let's give credit where credit is due!)

Steven and Megan said...

Oh my goodness I love her :) Could she get any cuter!? I love the things our kids come up with.

Monica said...

That is so cute and funny! She seems like such a good girl!

hoLLY said...

OH man she Is a funny little girl! AND smart too....trae wasn't even talking until after he was two!!! LEt alone full on sentences!!!

Mike and Kim said...

Maybe we can get Henry a seat on the potty train when you're out here.

Hazel is super smart. Let's hope she doesn't use her powers for evil.

Ostler said...

Seriously, just when I think I couldn't possibly LOVE her any more than I do...She goes and does something like this! I just love her so much! How is she so cute?!? I want her to hang out with Penn so much. I feel like they would be the best of friends. Because of course they would, wouldn't they? Of course. That's what I said. Well, I can't wait to see this little cutie this weekend. I hope I can!!! I hope she says such cute things like, "Shhh...We have to be quiet when baby Pene-o-pe is sleeping..." Oh my I can't wait!
Plus, me and Erik were just laughing about how we can TOTALLY see Taylor saying "sourpuss". His face and EVERYTHING...I may know you guys too well. If that's possible. I just don't know. ANYWAY, (I know I ramble) but I just wanted you to know that I STILL love Hazel, and I STILL want to STEAL (ha ha ha) her from you. All the time. And I STILL won't because Erik said that's rude. Whatev. Well, love you guys and we'll see you sooooon!!! (Plus, the word I have to type in for verification is squali. That's way funny, right? I feel like I should call someone that as an insult...I feel like it's a good one probably.

Susan said...

Hahaha--love that sweet little girl--"I feel so much better, I think I will have a parfait"---can't wait to see you in less than 2 weeks!!!

Casey and Samantha said...

Adorable! YOu're so good to write is all down (gives me some new dedication. thank you). BTW she is DANG smart. I can't believe she is talking that well and understands so much! Cute girl!! I can't believe I've never met her!

Alex said...

I have been laughing hysterically while sterling watches his car show! I love the cute things little kids say!

Jed and Kera said...

I don't know how I missed this post!!! hahaha Hazel is so funny!!!

Sarah said...

are you kidding? we were laughing so hard while reading these.

Melissa said...

Hazel is so funny! It seems like you are just talking to an adult! I love that you've written all of these things down...what a cutie!