Monday, October 25, 2010

Pumpkinman Triathalon

It finally came and went,
(and I'm especially relieved that "it went")
the Pumpkinman Triathalon.  

We loaded down our little car and made the trip to Vegas
(which went really well thanks to the Yo Gabba, Gabba downloads on the iphone)

and stayed with my brother (and triathalon partner) Jared and his family.
Hazel died-and-went-to-heaven when she realized she had "cu-sins" to play with 24/7.
 
 

and I died-and-went-to-hell (ha) when I realized how suffocating our "speedsuits" were.
We spent Friday night hashing and re-hashing out all of the details for the race. 
The stress of it all was enough to give me an ulcer.  
Can you imagine showing up to the race without something essential!?

(i.e:  essential item = timing chip, race numbers, wetsuit, swim cap, goggles, body glide, towel, racing shirt, sports beans, water bottles, Gatorade bottle, bike helmet, bike shoes, sunglasses, GPS watch, socks, running shoes, visor, etc.)

But we must have hashed it out enough because it all turned out really great...
...except for my swim 
(anxiety, hyperventilating, back stroking, doggy paddling) 
but I'm trying to forget that portion of the race.
 
 
 
 
 
Due to the intensity of the bike portion (12 miles uphill), my goal was to finish in 2 hours.  
I finished in 1:58:48.

Jared's goal was to place.
He took second in his age group with a time of 1:26:40.
(I thought we came from the same gene pool, what's the deal!?)

Way to go Jar!

But the biggest award of the day goes to Taylor and Carolee for chasing after 3 crazy kids all morning.

Naturally, the rest of the time was spent at some of our favorite "out-of-state" eating establishments: Capriotti's, Super Mex, Claim Jumper and In-N-Out.
(yeah, I know there are 5 in Utah now...but the crowds, OH THE CROWDS!)
We also dressed the kids up and took them out for a night on the town.
 
 
Trick-or-treating,
 games,
 live performances and dancing,
 and balloon favors!?
 Could it get any better?
I think not.

We had such a good time that it was hard to go back home;
and even more difficult since Yo Gabba, Gabba wasn't strong enough to hold up to 9 hours in the car with no nap (yikes).

But, apparently the camera-flash makes our delirious, little, girl very giggly;
because as soon as I tried to capture a moment of hysterical crying,
she went from this:
to this:
 
 
Who would have guessed.

Carolee, thank you for watching the kids, letting us stay at your house, eat your food, and play with your toys.

And a big, fat 'thank you' to Jared for being my triathalon partner and motivating me through the whole experience.


And again, 
for my records, 
the stats:
Overall: 232/379, Division:14/31, Sex: 67/158, Swim (.75K): 16:00, T1: 4:33, Bike/T2 (12 brutal miles): 1:10:59, Run (5K): 27:18

24 comments:

Susan said...

All I can say is your are awesome!!! Way to go .... (course I knew you would both do fabulous)

Monica said...

Congrats Crystal!!! I am so proud of you and hope that some day we can do one together. You rocked your time (and those shorts).
Hazel's Halloween costume is so darling-I love it!

cheeks said...

crystal! you are awesome! way to go! you look so good...shorty shorts and skin tight wet suit too! and way to go on your time. and congrats to jared, that's sweet!

hazel's costume is adorable! and i'm totally cracking up at the car pictures :)

Sammy said...

way to go! I knew you could do it and would do great, looks like a great trip. I'm so jealous, LOVE vegas capriottis, in and out, how fun, Hazel's first trip! that is great that she made it that long 9 hour drive, I can hardly make it!

Sandy said...

Congrats on the triathlon. Looks like it was a lot of fun. Hazels costume is adorable. You look great. As always.

Michele said...

Wow Crystal, I never knew you were so hard core. Congrats on your race.

Kattie said...

Congrats! that is awesome. We were in Vegas last week visiting also:) And Capriottis is a must everytime we go.

Alisha said...

There is too much to comment on. The craziness of doing a triathlon, the food, the costume, the flash pictures! Good job on it all.

Erica said...

I love that you posted a picture of you in the speedsuit, or whatever it was called. I'm so proud of you. You have accomplished so much this year. Look at you go! This post made me laugh multiple times. I love Hazel's little costume. I'd say 1:26 and 1:58 is two times which could totally come from the same gene pool. Oh Crystal, buddy, you are amazing.

KCraig said...

Crystal you are amamzing! I can't imagine doing a triathalon like that. Way to go...And Hazel's costume is beyond adorable.

Jed and Kera said...

ok first off way to go! super woman! haha! you work that wet suit! you are so motivating! awesome!
second i love your hair in the picture of you guys eating! your hair grows so fast! I'm still trying to grow mine out and i can barely put it in a ponytail.
third LOL I love the pictures of hazel. all of them! i think it is so funny that she started laughing when you took pictures of her. she seems like she an easy going little thing most of the time. AND holy cow is she so smart! Tricky tricky? wow! I've stopped comparing dalton with kids his age especially little girls! wow they talk so much! dalton says 25 or 30 words that's it! he jabbers a lot though. everyone laughs because he will give you "up the road" if he is mad at you but you don't know a word he is saying. :O)

hoLLY said...

Wow Crystal, what a huge accomplishment! that is so awesome! and that you had your brother to be there with you! You look awesome! Amd what a fun weekend for you guys, Hazels's little costune is adorable! i want one in my size! ha

Melissa Rees said...

I kinda think you're nuts but way to go!! What's your secret? I just started running and it's been good, but I don't know how I could run marathon!

The Shaws said...

You're my HERO!

shauni said...

Way to go Crystal! You guys are awesome- and you look super hot in your speed suit. You both had great times on the race! It souds like you guys had a fun weekend. I love Hazel's Halloween costume.

Donene said...

Oh, Crystal you are my hero! Way to go girl!! That is so awesome! What a great experience! thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

WOW. You are incredible. Heck, if completing a triathalon in two hours gets me out of watching the kids I think it just might be worth it...not to mention all the time I would need to train...I think you may be on to something, my friend. Love Hazel's candy corn witch costume, btw. Also, I think Taylor should have this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_t1YMGo7FDdA/TI5P5orRjMI/AAAAAAAABq8/yKm5tVEF_ew/s1600/il_fullxfull.173801604.jpg

April said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
April said...

Crystal! First of all, you make triathalon wet suits look good. You're definitely rocking that! Second, CONGRATULATIONS! You are simply amazing!! It is quite an accomplishment to do something so hard like a triathalon. You continually impress me with all of your athleticism. Finally, Hazel looks lovely in her costume. She's one cute girl, just like her mom.

Becca said...

Crystal!! YIPEE~ great job, seriuosly that is awesome. So lets plan one together up in our neck of the woods. Or are you not wanting to do another one? What was the worst about the swim- too many people, or just fatigues?? You did look great in the wetsuit. Hazel looks great for halloween!

Mary Ann said...

W O W What else can I say. I am so in awe!

Melissa said...

Crystal! You are so amazing! You look so good - and you sure know how to rock those short shorts! HOT!

Hazel looks so cute in her costume! Can't wait to see more Halloween pictures!

Hazel's face change in the car is funny! I love her cute little smile! :)

rupee40 said...

Lookin good in those speedsuits. You are awesome, congrats!!

Maria said...

You two are such an amazing power couple! Congrats on your times and Hazel's dress is so cute!