The ring has not been found, but I've discovered that my wedding ring is insured.
Hallelujah!
I'm still upset that I lost my original wedding ring.
You just can't get back that sentimental value.
Like how every time I looked at it, I remembered exactly how I felt, and how it smelled, and everything we did the summer that Taylor and I were dating.
Or the excitement I felt when we went wedding ring shopping for the first time.
Or looking for our first apartment together.
Or like the rigmarole we went through getting the ring custom made. We were waiting to make the news official until I had a ring, but the jewelers were taking their sweet time getting it finished. Taylor went in to check on the progress one day and they told him that it was going to take even longer because they lost the bezel and they were going to have to order a new one.... Taylor must have walked outside with his dejected-head down because on his way out to the car he found that elusive bezel sitting in the parking lot.
Or like when Taylor proposed on our way to dinner on the evening of July 2 2004. He pulled into the parking lot at Dee Memorial Park and haphazardly parked the car. Then without a word, he got out of the car and took off running into the middle of the park. Of course I got out of the car and ran after him. He picked a random place to stop, where we both sat in the grass. He looked me in the eyes and asked if I loved him, I said yes. Then he asked if I would marry him, I said yes... and there it was; Taylor's style of proposing. No bells, or whistles, or cheesy lines with cheesy activities. It was simple; all that mattered was if I loved him. We walked back to the car engaged and that was that.
Yes, I am sad that I don't have that ring that so reminded me of that time in my life, so of course I'm still on the perpetual hunt for it. But in the meantime I have insurance money that is going to pay for a new one.
So, here's the question:
Should I try to re-create my ring to look like it did before?
(and hope it comes out the same)
or should I make a new one that will remind me of what my life is like now?
(and then force Taylor to propose to me all over again, hahah)
16 comments:
I don't think i've ever heard your engagement story and i love it! that is so fun all those things you remember from your ring, but i'm still so sad that you have lost it, who knows it might just turn up one day like lynnettes did! so crazy. I don't know what I would do as far as getting a whole new one or getting the same... so tough. i LOVE your ring so I would say get the same one, but wow that is such a hard decision, and it would be fun to get a completely new and different one... good luck! can't wait to see it.
also it was fun to have you and hazel down the other day, come any time! thanks for letting me borrow the book, loving it so far
That's tough Crystal. If you got the same one you would always remember all the lovely memories that you listed (LOVE the engagement story btw) but do you think you'd always remember that you lost your ring too? Or maybe you'd deeply miss it if you got a new one? I loved your old ring based on the picture in your other post, but if you do decide to go with a new one I bet it would be just as unique and cool....it's your call. Sorry, I'm wishy washy when it comes to opinions :)
Funny how something that decorates your finger for so long that it feels like a part of your body can also carry with it such a wonderful list of memories.
I like Taylor's no fuss no frills way of getting things done. So not more than a few days after reading about your poor lost rings we headed out for an adventure and James came home without HIS wedding ring. Yep he totally lost it somewhere in the wild of a Texas wilderness. I am sure that he is not as sad as a woman would be. but I do think that he was pretty bummed.
I told him that if I lost my ring I would do something different because my tastes change and I like to try new things. But that is just me. Which ever you choose I totally think that Taylor should propose again.
Chelsea and I actually talked about what we thought you would do with a new ring....I think you should make a new ring. I wouldn't recreate that one because you wouldn't want it to ever be recreated. Not that it wasn't a gorgeous ring!
I love the sentiment associated with your ring. It tugged at my heart. I wish you could find the ring and hold onto those memories! They are amazingly perfect.
As for your new ring. My personal feeling (remember this is just me talking) is that you can never go back. Start now. You cannot replace or redo anything. You can still have the memories with the feelings, but life will be new tomorrow no matter what.
(and I did a typo on my post. the mid singles are 30-45. sorry)
Love your engagement story. While it would be nice to have your old ring I think it might be nice to find something that fits you now. Then you can have nice memories of both of your wedding rings. :)
Sad...You will miss your old ring... I don't know what i'd do. Even if you do recreate your old ring, it still won't be that ring... I think if you've seen another style or ring that you LOVE. I would do that. Your old ring will be pretty hard to beat though. I loved your ring!
Its a tough choice. I might try to find something that had some of the elements that your old ring had. So even though it was new it still was a reminder of your old one. Your ring was so unique. Good luck!
Oh my heart is breaking!! I was at the mall the other day, and YES I looked for your ring but didn't find it :( You should definitely make a new ring and cherish the memories you have of the old one.
oh that is a hard one. one piece of advice. if you try to go in a new direction you should think about another bezel setting. i really love my ring, but i hardly ever wear it at home because it really scratches dalton a lot and gets caught on things.
That was the best 26 dollars you could have spent this year. I have been so sad about your lost ring, that this post really made me happy. I am going to see what kind of insurance we have on such things.
Good luck, on choosing a new ring that is a hard call. But I do like the idea of Taylor proposing again, for funzies.
If you try to recreate the ring, it wont ever be the exact same. I would say, don't even try. Try something new, and when you lose this one in 4 years you can get another one. Just be sure to keep paying for that whack insurance.
My opinion is to live in the now!!!!
If this happend to me ....which im so sorry this happend to you!!!!i would totally get something different that i liked now, dont get me wrong Im sure you still love everything about that ring and I feel the same about mine but i would get something that represents where you and Taylor are now, cause really you will always have those wonderful memories!! with or with out the ring!!!
Well good luck deciding! ohhhh im kinda jealous really?!!!
hummm...At first I thought that you should totally go for the same...but now I think I would do something different. I'm so happy that you spent the $10/year to insure your ring! Lucky! Decisions...decisions...
totally go for a new one. what if you find the original? then you will have 2!!!! So sorry you lost it! i loved your ring. Is your sis still single? She is adorable and my brother in law is still single;)
I would probably get a new ring to remember this time in your lives now then you can have a whole new story to tell. I also like the idea of him re proposing! haha. Lee did it twice because my first ring was falling apart so we had to get a new one made. I wasn't expecting him to re-do it all but it was fun. Such a fun story! Sorry about your ring, that truly is such a bummer.
Post a Comment