Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay 2010

What do you get with 3 guys over 50, 3 girls, 4 middle-aged suckers and a 12 year old?

"Pretty Much the Best Relay Team Ever!"

Seriously folks, we rocked.

We had a team meeting the night before the race, where we smiled with our sweet team t-shirts and were totally oblivious of what awaited us....

The Team
back row: me, oldest brother Jared(#1), father-in-law Craig, dad Ron
front row: sister-in-law Marcie (Dan's wife), sister-in-law Shauni (Colby's wife), 3rd brother Colby, 2nd brother Dan, uncle Steve, Marcie's brother-in-law James
missing team members: nephew Logan (Dan and Marcie's boy), James' friend Jared (#2)
The Frost crew
The girls of the team

The next morning we met at the starting point in Logan.
Somehow I was confused for a person with creative capabilities, and was put in charge of vehicle decoration.
I tried to transform the trucks into Ligers to stay in theme with our mascot, but the majority of the time they were mistaken for mice...
Come on people!  Didn't you notice the MANE?

 
Logistics of the race: 
  • 188.5 mile relay race from Logan to Park City
  • A team consists of 12 runners
  • The team is split into two different vehicles
  • The first 6 runners in vehicle 1 and the last 6 runners in vehicle 2
  • Each team member runs a leg before starting the line-up over again.
  • Everyone is responsible for 3 legs total

And so, we commenced the race from hell.
(for the most part we only saw the half of the team we were in a vehicle with, for that reason I don't have many pictures of the second half of the team)

 We ran:
 

We supported our vehicle mates (with overly zealous safety precautions):
 

We did a lot of "exchanges":

We drank chocolate milk like it was going out of style:

We ate random things at incredibly random times:
Double cheeseburgers to start off the race
a lopsided PB&J (and pretzel) sandwich at 4:30 am after 2 hours of sleep
And Taco Bell to reward ourselves for a job well-done.  I think I earned every bite of that cheesy crunchwrap supreme.

Speaking of sleep, we didn't get much:

But we tried to catch some z's whenever and wherever we could:

And by the end of the race, our decorations were 'dragging' as much as we were:

But it felt so great to be finished with our legs:

and even better to run across the finish line with the other half of our team:
(missing from the following picture:  
Craig- he was in a car headed for California by this point.
Logan's team shirt- it could have been in Logan, Park City, or anywhere in between.
James' face- my big head was blocking him...sorry James!)

All in all it was an incredibly difficult, tiring, sickening, hot, but extremely rewarding experience.  
Thanks for letting me run with you guys, it was an honor.

But, let's just say, if I have to see this kind of line for the 'honey buckets' ever again, it will be too soon!


Stats (for my own faulty memory):

Crystal- runner #4:
The only girl in vehicle number 1 with Craig, Logan, Dan, Colby and James
  •  5.1 miles (approx. noon)- road begins to ascend Avon Pass
  • 4.2 miles (approx. 10 pm)- Milton-Morgan Leg passes through quiet residential areas
  • 3.8 miles (approx. 9:30 am)- Route plummets into Heber Valley. FAST!

Our team finished in just under 30 hours 
we placed 195th out of 660 teams in our divison 
and 320th out of 1051 teams overall.

23 comments:

Melissa Rees said...

I'm tired just from reading that!! Congrats on finishing!!

Erica said...

Crystal, I've been waiting anxiously for this post! I'm so proud of you! I passed so many runners that morning and was hoping to see you and cheer you on(for like a millisecond) . No such luck. I can't wait to hear more and more about it(Lunch tomorrow still?) Next year if you do it can you count me in? Seriously, I'll find myself a team cause I love this, if I can get BACK into shape by then ;)!

Sammy said...

I am so impressed! sounds like you had a blast! I don't know that i could ever do it so kudos to you, I HATE running shhh don't tell craig! Looks like you had a blast, what a good looking team!
(as for the nursery pictures, not even close to being finished with it! hopefully this week)

Ostler said...

HOLY COW! Crystal...You are a runner now. There's no stopping it. You are awesome! Nice job. I wish I could run that well...Also, I LOVE the ligers theme. What a great movie. Love it love it.

cheeks said...

crystalllllll! way to go! that's so awesome...and sounds so tiring! i'm very impressed! did you see any of brett's fam chillin' in morgan?! brett's bro and his wife (from nibley) ran that....and she called me sunday to talk us into next year with a family team...should i do it?!?!? i'm on the fence! i love all the random food...how do you feel running after a double cheeseburger?! ha ha! please tell me you rewarded yourself with a tasty carmel apple empanada at taco bell??? i always think of you when i'm there! way to go on the race! i loved your liger decorations and that you were the only girl in your truck!

April said...

Crystal! You are my hero! I can't believe that you ran such an awful sounding race! You definitely set the bar high for the rest of us.

Jed and Kera said...

Crystal! You are amazing! I really am just so proud to know you!! Ha! No I am really serious!! :O)

Maria said...

That is so cool! Congratulations! I would like to be able to do that someday. You look really good in running shorts :)

Donene said...

Wow! That is fantastic! That is a lot of running!!!

Colby said...

It was fun to have you in van 1, even though I know that you wish you hadn't been privy to some of the conversations that took place during those 30 hours!

Carolee said...

I was super impressed with you! You did a great job! Maybe in 6 more months we will forget the pain and want to do it again. I call I get to be in your van!

Carolee said...

by the way, the previous comment was me (Jared). You should feel special; I rarely check out blogs and never comment.

Sandy said...

Congrats on such a great accomplishment. Looks like you had a great time.

Lonna said...

Wow!! that is awesome, I like that so many of your family members were in on it too, what a great thing to be able to talk about for the next...forever.

I wish that I looked as good as you do in running shorts. Now what are you going to do to top this one? Just kidding you should take a break.

hoLLY said...

oh my goodness! how fun is that? I would have loved to do the Ragnar this year but no such luck for me! you did awesome!im so proud of you what a great accomplishment!!!I totally want to do it next year!
ps. super hot in shorts!

James and Jenni McBride said...

That picture of James looking out the window at you almost looks like a picture of him hitting on you! I love it!!! Thanks for letting James be part of your team. He had a blast!

SHELLYFINCH said...

WAY TO GO! Your so skinny! I love it! once again, I'm hoping your skinny sexy body will encourage me to loose some extra love on me! You rock!

Mike and Kim said...

Well, I feel like I'm not a part of the family after seeing this post. Me and Chelsey are apparently going to have to do our own activity -- how about a readathon, Chels?

Congratulations. I'm impressed. And Jared's mohawk looks nice.

paige and jord said...

holy cow crystal... mrs. superwoman. way to go! you should be so proud!

Melissa said...

WOW! Crystal you are AMAZING!!! It sound like it would be so exhausting and rewarding at the same time! I am so proud of you! And I didn't know it was possible to look so fantastic while running! You're a babe! Way to go on the race! :)

Grandma and Grandpa Mac said...

You guys are animals!
Looks like you had lots of fun (?)

Becca said...

You guys rock!!! I am so proud of you- sounds brutal. that is awesome you got Ron to run! you look amazing

Jena Hendry said...

Good Job Crystal! I am too scared to do that relay :) Maybe one day! You rock!