Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
Beets are fine.
Bears are alright.
But Dwight really hit the nail on the head when he decided that Battlestar Galactica was awesome.
Rewind
It was final season of Battlestar Galactica and Taylor had just started watching the show. Oh how I mocked him.
What with all the "fracking" and geeky Cylon/machine references, how could I not?
I complained every time he watched it,
I tormented and teased as much as possible,
I even compared it to Star Trek.
When we subscribed to Netflix a few months ago, Taylor put the entire series of Battlestar Galactica on his queue and then approached me with the offer to watch it with him from the beginning.
In that moment I had a choice. I vividly remember saturday afternoons as a kid when there was nothing to watch on tv aside from those crappy Star Trek re-runs and oh, how I loathed those re-runs. I almost said 'no', but in the spirit of having a common interest I agreed to give the first episode a try.
Bada Bing, Bada Boom, I was hooked!
The whole series was carefully crafted and intertwined. I'm sure the writers thought of every teeny detail before they even started the filming. This was not some wandering series that tried to wrap things up when they found out they were getting axed. They had a plan from the beginning and every episode played a part.
All I can say, was that it was AWESOME and now that we finished our last episode I almost feel like I lost an old friend. After calculating how much time Taylor and I spent snuggled up on the bean bag watching our show, eating popcorn and Taylor's homemade peanutbutter-chocolate-chip cookies; I came to the conclusion that we actually spent 3 1/2 straight days of our life watching this show. No wonder I feel lost now that we don't have anything to do once we put Hazel to bed.
Farewell Galactica, Admiral Adama, President Roslin, Lee, Kara, Helo, Athena, Six, Gaius, Colonel Tigh, Chief, Sam, Ellen and all the rest of you that I spent 80 hours of my life with.
And a formal apology to Taylor for teasing you ruthlessly
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
oh crystal what a trooper! I just don't know that I could've done that! Way to go, I'm sure that Taylor loved having you there to share that with him. I love that scene from the office "identity theft is real jim!" oh boy. I too have poked fun at battlestar galactica fans (Erik included), i guess now I'll have to give it a try!
You are a better sport than I am. I do try to find that common ground with Daren and it fails. However, I did turn him to the darkside and he loves Disneyland now, he wants to go back! Anyways, I'm so glad you have found a love for Netflix(and Battlestar Galactica I suppose...) I have a stupid fishing movie that has been sitting by our tv for 2 weeks now that Daren is not watching fast enough for my liking. If you find any new hidden gems in the Netflix world send them my way.
That is so funny because Bennett has begged and begged for me to watch with him and I have never gave it a chance. I will have to reconsider.... maybe.
yay for netflix....we just joined a couple weeks ago! i'm not sure about BSG, but you are a good wife for going along with it! you make me laugh!
when do you leave for the land of sand and sun?!?!?! will you be there on your bday?
That is hilarious!! Scotty and I did the same thing, I LOVE the show, we still are not finished but I agree it sucks you in!
Which bear is best? Ba ha ha. I love it. You guys are the best. I feel the same way about LOST. Now, we're going to have to go to church...well oh well. What could it hurt?!? Ba ha ha.
What a crack up! Just the other day Colby and I were just talking about how you guys were watching Battlestar Galactica (and laughing at you a little) and that exact phrase was said, Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica. I love it! Glad to hear it was worth it!
I love that episode. When I first saw it I laughed and laughed and cried and laughed. Thank youf or the laugh!!
Interesting! I have so many shows I need to watch, but so little time....
I (Megan) haven't seen Battlestar Galactica but I do love The Office! Haha funny show :) I love watching shows with Steven at night after the kids go to bed.
I'm glad you swallowed your pride and gave it a chance. I still haven't gotten Kim to watch Arrested Development with me, let alone The Wire. At least we are watching Modern Family together now, at your suggestion.
Battlestar Galactica is high on my list to watch once we get Netflix again.
Crystal and Taylor, now that you don't have anything to watch may i suggest Dexter... I know I have said it before and I will say it again. It is one of the best series that I have ever invested my time in. Watch at least the first three episodes and if you aren't hooked I will eat my words.
ha you crack me up! thats how we were with 24 ! just counldnt stop! but yes Office we have been fans since season 1, love it!
Mike and I are doing a super sprint triathlon this Saturday. I think it is the one that you did back in 2008 when I was pregnant with Olivia. I have noticed that doing all three activities has been a lot easier than just running on my body. I have always wanted to do the Top of Utah so maybe we could run it together. I can't wait to hear about your Ragnar race. Mike has wanted to do something like that in the past.
I saw the Insanity infomercial 3 nights ago and thought of you. So Mike got it for me and my goal is to start on Monday. I think I can do it and even if I can't drop any weight, hopefully I will be fit.
I've heard that BSG was good. I think this might convince me to watch it. Especially now that summer is here and TV usually sucks as a whole. We also have Netflix it is a good thing. Now you'll have to watch LOST. I KNOW it's on Netlix, so you have no excuse.
This post was so good for so many reasons. I haven't even watched the show but i can understand how you can get hooked into a series that you never thought you would (mine was LOTR).
okay girl! lets do it! top of utah or I was even thinking th Layton half would be fun(Oct.9)???let me know what gina says?!:)ewww im nervous just talking about it! eekk
Post a Comment