Tuesday, February 02, 2010

And so it begins

Is it safe to say that I have a toddler?

Last week I had the Hazel nut in her exersaucer while I was washing the dishes (ok, really just rinsing and loading into the dishwasher, boo yah!).

To keep her entertained while she sits there, I sing (loudly, and if you ask Taylor, probably a titch on the obnoxious side).

Anyway, I was just getting into a rousing rendition of "When You're Helping You're Happy". I checked on the babe (you know, to make sure she wasn't stuck to the cactus that is haphazardly placed right next to her exersaucer...) and then turned my back to rinse a few more plates

"and we sing as we go, for we love to help mother for we a..."
AHHH!!
Not more than 45 seconds later I turned back around to see this!
Is this humanly possible? How in the world did she actually get her legs out of the leg holes, turn her body so as to avoid a "header" and land safely on her feet, all without making a peep and all under 45 seconds? Riddle me this.

I think it's obvious that this girl is all over the place,
(excuse her underoos, I wasn't about to put her dress on hours before church started)


and frequently gets her groove on,


You may be asking yourself how she avoids major catastrophes with all of this new found mobility

I assure you, she doesn't

For the most part, she's fine (as seen below)


But there are those occasions (and this happens on average twice a day) where she gets a real doozy. Like yesterday,

where she went face-first into the TV console

and she cried hysterically

and then she had blood all over her face

and then I discovered it was coming from her mouth

and then she kept trying to suck her thumb to soothe herself

but then kept crying because she had just busted her mouth

and now she has a fat lip, an open wound on her maxillary labial frenum and a giant hematoma on the underside of her lip (which of my dental peeps remembers what the proper name for that area is?)

(excuse the food on her face. Lunch time was the only time that she would willingly open her mouth for my pictures)

18 comments:

Lonna said...

Poor little thing, but hats off to her for her stealth like skills and cat like reflexes.

I think that there have been more than a few times when I have been baffled by the cleverness of the kids, and then kicking myself at the same time for not having padded walls and furniture.

Her mad skills will only increase, as will the doctor bills, the battle wounds are such an awful part of being the mom. I think you are doing a great job, and bonus points for using all your dental knowledge.

Erica said...

Holy shit, sorry for that, but that is like all I can say. Watch that baby cruise and give me a new tour of your house since giving the switcharoo to make room for this baby genius. Holy hannah! Baby Hazel is Lil Hazey from this point on in my book. However, I did call AJ Baby J until he was probably 5. That lip makes her all the more old for some reason, maybe cause it comes across like she's cooperating and understands you saying open wide. Oh my, I think I just died from shock!

Steven and Megan said...

Oh my heck I am laughing so hard at that video of her dancing! I LOVE it! Lincoln has just recently started to "boogy" and I think it's the cutest thing. I am sorry about her lip though... that's no fun :(

Susan said...

Too, too cute! I was laughing my head off as she was booging to the music--she is doing new things daily!! I hate not seeing her everyday--I love our baby Hazel nut...

Jed and Kera said...

ohhh so sad! Little Hazel's mouth. :O( She is just so cute! You have a Houdini! :O) That's impressive! We miss you guys!

cheeks said...

oh crystal...first, i CANNOT believe she really got herself out of the exersaucer?!?!?! PURE MAGIC! i just laugh even thinking of how she did that so sneakily! well, look at it this way, it's one more baby gadget you can store away to relieve yourself from baby-stuff clutter!

second, she is such a great little cruiser! she seems too petite to be running all around the place! i'm sorry about her poor little lip. it's so sad when they bonk!

and third....i had to wrack my brain (seriously stop, and think) as you described all the anatomy! ehhh...maybe i should go back to work so i don't feel so stupid! ha ah! probably not though!

Sammy said...

I can't believe how fast she is growing up! only 10 months old and she's as mobile as can be, her poor little mouth, that looks so painful, and seriously how in the world did she get out of her exersaucer! (i love that name, is that seriously the name for it? its great) what a genius baby.

The Shaws said...

Poor little Hazel!

I sing to Linkin all the time and it drives my hubby CRAZY, but we are mom's and our chillins love it so the husbands are going to have to get over it right :)

I can't believe she got out of her bouncer. HAHA LOL!! She is getting way too big!

Nick and Kandi said...

Oh my goodness, she is getting so big! She sure is a cutie. Zoey wants to walk so bad and is close. I'm sure that when she does, I'll probably wish she would stay put instead!

Unknown said...

I can't believe she got out of that exersaucer. We have one, and pulling a baby out of that sometimes can be no easy task!

Melissa Rees said...

What the holy?! How did she get outta there? Deacon did the same thing to his FRENUM (ha ha I hope that's right). It bled like crazy but luckily it healed fast!

Maria said...

What a little Peking acrobat! That girl's got talent; get her in gymnastics!

Ostler said...

Oh my heck. She's so cute. Seriously, I'm getting worried. But, just reassure me--- my baby will be so cute, and I will be a good mom, too, right?!? Oh my... Also, I'm pretty sure that you just barely had her. I don't know why she's walking around. I got a little bit teary-eyed thinking about it. Because, you know, in that long twisty way she's somehow related to me, too? But, seriously...I've watched her grow, and I'm so attached! :)
I need to come see you guys again soon. Soon soon.

Mike and Kim said...

We laughed about the daring exersaucer escape. Kids just get more and more amazing with their acrobatic skills. I'm sure you don't recall, but our second post ever was about Megan climbing all the way up into her high chair, which is a pretty amazing feat for such a little monkey. What this really means is that you can now look forward to the moment when you go to get Hazel up from her nap, and she has already finagled her way out of the crib, taken off her diaper, and is playing away with her toys. And smoking a cigarette.

Melissa said...

Ah- I am in love! Hazel is so adorable! I can't believe that she is just cruisin around your house like that (in her little underoo's - CUTE!)! Hardly seems possible! AND how did she get out of her saucer!?! Flexible! I'm glad she didn't get into the cactus. That might need to be put somewhere else. ha ha Sorry about her little lip! Poor thing! I need to see her again! I'm so glad taht you posted these videos...totally made me smile - esp her dance moves!!

Melanie said...

That is too funny! Emma wasn't that fast at getting out of things until closer to 18 months. Good luck keeping up with her.

Melanie

April said...

I think that it's safe to assume that you do have a toddler...and a darling, well developed toddler she is! I can't believe that she has such awesome fine and gross motor skills. I'm very impressed.

BreAnna said...

She is so so darling. I love her little walk, Steele is walking too, but his legs are so much bigger than hers it looks entirely different! Don't you just love this stage, oh it is so great!