Thursday, October 25, 2012

Garden Update

Taylor planted a rockin' garden,
thanks to his green thumb we had:
tomatoes,
basil, 
sage,
thyme,
rosemary,
chives, 
spaghetti squash,
yellow squash,
zucchini,
onions,
sugar snap peas,
carrots,
strawberries,
and giant pumpkins.
we turned our tomatoes into 
the best salsa on the planet
and some pretty bangin' marinara sauce.
We made jars and jars of pesto,
we have enough prepped zucchini in the freezer to last a lifetime,
we've got boxes of onions, carrots, and squash 
in the garage just waiting for winter consumption, 
and we've loved snacking on our peas and strawberries 
as they ripen.

I've also been enjoying the fact 
that I can decorate with pumpkins and gourds,
without getting suckered in to the over-priced options 
at the store
(which I always do)

and

Hazel is pretty sure that these babies are getting carved....
All I'm saying is I may help her carve it, 
but I'm not gutting that thing...


4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

The pumpkin guts have got to be copious! Good luck carving that mamba jamba! Your veggies look amazing! I wish I had a green thumb. I try and I fail. Maybe next year I will get more than 3 radishes--I can only hope!

I hope trick or treating is spooky and plentiful!

Sammy said...

that is quite the garden! How fun and how nice is that to have all that food for this winter?! yum, nothing like home grown tomatoes. those pumpkins are awesome, i can't wait to see it carved! good luck:)

Erica said...

Crystal... I'll gut it! Seriously! I was sad we could only finger paint one this year.. (secretly I think I may put the bubba to bed and carve a pumpkin all by myself this weekend) You have no idea how jealous I am of your garden. my one tomato plant didn't work which means Daren says I can't have an actual garden. First you throw a pantry in my face.... now this!!! Gahhhhhh...

KCraig said...

You're garden was amazing! I', still dreaming of Taylor's pesto pasta. Thanks for sharing some of your produce with me. It was fantastic.