Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The End of an Era

Did it bother me that Hazel sucked her thumb at bedtime, 
or when she was relaxing?
No.
Was I ready for Hazel to give up her thumb?  
No.
Did I want to say goodbye to the last thing that made her my "baby"?
No.

So, why did we give it up?
Sheerly because I stopped when I was 3, 
and it seemed like a good deadline to give her.

When we first discussed the fact that she wasn't going to suck her thumb anymore, 
Hazel was pretty excited about the idea.
She was excited to put stickers on her chart,
she was excited to get a prize,
and most importantly, 
she was excited to be a "big girl".

But, when I put the tape around her thumb to help remind her not to suck, 
this was the look on her face...
...not quite so sure anymore.
 She actually got really quiet and started acting funny.
I put her on my lap, gave her a big hug and told her that if she ever wanted to suck her thumb, 
that she could come get a snuggle from me instead.
Hazel is usually such a trooper about everything, 
 that I kind of died a little to see her so lost and uncomfortable with the finality of giving up her thumb.

but, 
after about 2.8 seconds of snuggling, 
she got over it and was excited to show me her sticker chart,
and even more excited when I told her we needed to get dressed so we could go to the store to buy her prize.

2 weeks later
 and not one ounce of a struggle,
my little Hazel is now devoid 
of all of the things that made her my "baby"
and is officially read to be a big sister.

Good job little bug, 
I am so proud of you!
(and totally shocked at how easy you made this transition.  
After the first day, you said you didn't want tape on your finger anymore because it hurt.  
You said that you would remember on your own;
and you did!
In fact, if you ever slipped up for a tiny second,
you would immediately pull your thumb out and tell me that you weren't going to suck anymore)
 
I'll say you definitely earned your reward
(and a lot more, 
but we'll stick to dollar store prizes for now).


10 comments:

cheeks said...

way to go hazel girl!!!! that's so awesome! ok, the best part of the video is when you tip the camera down to look at her chart and she gets bugged at you!! haha! how dare you?!

shauni said...

Way to go Hazel! She seems so grown up, definitely ready to be a big sister. Also, I love your rain gutter book shelves. I've been wanting to come up for different book shelves for Abbi's room (soon to be the "little kid's room"), and would love to try these. Did you make them??

leah jane said...

Kay Crystal, you are seriously such a good mom! I am glad we get to benefit from your wisdom before having kid lets of our own. Hazel is growing up just splendidly!! Can't wait to meet #2...

Erica said...

How did I not know she sucked her thumb? Also, how did I not know you sucked your thumb? Hudson never needed his thumb or binky, which I have always been happy about. But maybe it wouldn't have been so bad had he started. Good big sister indeed!!! You two are a great duo.

Susan said...

Oh what a big girl!!! I don't know if I am ready for her to be so grown up--Hazel, I am so proud of you. Love you all lots.

Mike and Kim said...

At certain ages, you want to freeze your kid in time. At other ages, you want to send them to boarding school. It's a little sad to see Hazel growing up.

Donene said...

She is so grown up! I love that it was an easy transition for her, way to go Hazel!

Sammy said...

way to go hazel! That is so exciting, what a big girl. she really is such a trooper, wish me luck that Violet will follow in her footsteps when I get rid of her binki! She cracks me up and looks so pretty and old! She is going to be such a good big sister

April said...

I am way impressed. I've always heard that it can be a really hard habit to break, but then again Crystal, you make everything with motherhood look so easy :)

Steven and Megan said...

Great job Hazel! She is looking so grown up! I love the video. And the tape idea is genius! My poor cousin used to suck her thumb and her parents used tabasco sauce... Ouch!