Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Whiskers

I was going to break my posting "fast" with a delicious feast of pictures from a weekend spent at a cabin the Uintahs;
but instead, 
I'm going to give you this little morsel:
Hazel's first "whiskers" (stitches).

I'm going to have to preface this story by saying that Hazel is probably the least coordinated kid I know, double that with the fact that she's also one of the most fearless kids ever and you've got a recipe for disaster.

However, because she is constantly falling, tripping, bonking, scraping, cutting, bruising, it rarely phases her anymore.  In fact, I know when something REALLY hurts because that is the only time she ever cries. 

So last night, before bed, Hazel was cleaning up her toys.  
She bent down to get something off the ground and smacked her eye right on the corner of her toy organizer,
and she started crying.
I ran over to examine her and immediately saw blood spewing from a giant gash right below her eyebrow.  
Since we could see down to the "meat" we knew it needed stitches.

One visit to the Instacare, 
3 stitches, 
one near fainting incident (I'm not saying who), 
one popsicle,  
and an hour and half later, 
we were done. 

The doctor told Hazel that she was getting kitty whiskers put on her face,
she loves them.
So much so, that we had to call both grandmas this morning and tell them all about them.

17 comments:

Susan said...

Hazel is the most adorable little "whisker" girl...I wanted to cry just looking at those giant sad BIG eyes...wish I could have been there to give her love and kisses.

Ostler said...

How can this be?! My little Hazel is growing up. Well, not mine exactly...But you know what I mean. Anyway, Hazel girl is the CUTEST little whisker-haver in all the lands. And I hope her little owie feels better soooon!!!

cheeks said...

oooh noooo!!!!!!! the poor thing....you were right about only crying when it really hurts! she is a tough cookie! i'm glad she likes her whiskers! i'll be sending you pics asap :)

KCraig said...

Poor Hazel! That is so sad. But at least she likes them. Hope all is well.

leah jane said...

Oh sad day, but at least she's a trooper and so cute on her little video taken on the potty. :) love it!!

Steven and Megan said...

Poor Hazel :( She is still so cute though, whiskers and all!

Sammy said...

oh Hazel! Look at those tears, poor baby doll! I feel so bad for her, that just breaks my heart, I can't wait to see her tomorrow to see her "whiskers" and have her tell me all about them.

PS I about passed out just looking at the pictures with her boo boo all sewn up, I do not have a strong stomach. YIKES!

Carolee said...

What a trooper! That looks rough! We have yet to experience stitches (I hope I didn't jink us).

So, I am guessing Taylor had the near fainting spell? And is she sitting on the potty during the video??

Melissa Rees said...

Agggh! That's terrible! I have two boys and they've yet to get stitches (both have been to the ER though). And why the posting fast???

Erica said...

You were in my dream last night, it was a fantastic little visit to my house. Let's make it real now ok?

I loved that video. She is such a good little talker...completely understandable (unlike other children I associate with....) And can I tell you how genius the whole whisker concept is? Granted, if you told me I was getting anything like that I'd kill you...but I suppose dogs have whiskers? Any who... this seemed way less traumatic than I'm sure it really played out (or maybe I'm just pessimistic)

Mary Ann said...

Oh Crystal! that is so sad yet cute. I hope all is well and that the healing is fast and scar free!

April said...

Oh poor little Hazel! It gets me all kinds of sad seeing the tears still in her beautiful eyes. What a brave little girl. Stitches can be kind of scary for little kids. I still remember getting them myself. Get well soon Hazel!

Mary Ann said...

Oh poor sweet little girl! I love that the dr called them whiskers! That is just precious. I am sure the whole experience was horrible! I hope you dont have to repeat that ever again! ;)

hoLLY said...

oh how sad! the pic with the whisker and the tears coming down her face kills me!!so sad..what a doll!!

Erin said...

Please tell me your recording her while she's pooping. That's why we're such good friends. I would do that. Not I, myself, of course, but I would do that to my kids. (Shudder)

Lonna said...

I am sure that my computer is mental, I tried commenting earlier and it would not let me, but I have to say that is the saddest and cutest little video ever!! I can not believe how well she is talking, maybe better than my 4 year old.

I LOVE that she calls them whiskers, and she is just so dang cute talking about them.
Poor little thing, but hey look at the great story you have to tell for her entire life.

Mike and Kim said...

Poor little Hazel Nut. Those are the saddest pictures ever, the toy organizer will get you every time.

I guess now she can be a kitty for Halloween.

I