Monday, January 04, 2010

Christmas 2009 and New Year's 2010

Each time I sit down to start this blog I get overwhelmed and get right back up again. I almost thought about skipping this post and moving on with my life. Buuutttt, I recently discovered how handy my blog actually is while filling in Hazel's baby book and couldn't remember all sorts of dates, names, feelings, etc... If not for entertainment, this post will definitely be practical. So for posterity (and my leaky memory) purposes, here goes Christmas 2009.

A Christmas of 'firsts'

The 'first' AND last rousing (aka intensely competitive- which is why it was the last) game of Settlers
It was all just fun and games folks (ok not really)...


Hazel's 'first' Christmas dress
(and our MANY attempts to get a good picture of it)

Hazel's 'first' tooth!
Finally... I thought she would have to gum her food forever. #P has broken through and is so adorable. Although, you'll have to take my word for it, this is as close a picture I have of it (not so close). But as you can see, drool abounds.
the 'first' time I've been back up skiing since having the babe
(thanks to a wonderful mother who watched 3 kids all day)
(and a special thanks to Mike for risking frost bite to take these pictures with naked hands)(and yes; we do ski more difficult terrain than the "slow" hill. It was just a good photo-op, no?)

Hazel's 'first' "first Christmas" paraphernalia (was that confusing?)

Hazel's 'first' Christmas Eve, Oberg Family style
(with accompanying picture taking, eating, game playing, and present opening)

The 'first' time we heard the big announcement that another baby Oberg is on its way
(congrats again Erik and Sammy!)
Baby Hazel's 'first' Christmas morning
(this was a big one)

Hazel's 'first' pony
"sweet mother, what is this thing?"
"whoa; it moves AND makes sounds!? I LOVE it!!"

The babe's 'first' pair of mittens and hat
(don't be fooled, she does not love wearing them as much as that smile would lead you to believe)
 'First' Christmas Dinner at Dan and Marcie's house

'first' jam session with cousin Baileigh

Our 'first' New Year's Eve at the Obergs
(despite all of the fun you see, I still ended up going to bed before midnight)
Hazel and Parker's 'first' playdate where they could really interact with one another...

The 'first' time the Oregon Ducks have been to the Rose Bowl since 1996.
(to all of you Buckeye fans, it would be wise not to leave any negative comments (this means you Kera and Jami))

Phew! I'm DONE! As long as that took for you to read, imagine how long it took for me to put together...
But, I'm glad I have it.

15 comments:

Melissa Rees said...

Love the rocking horse! Deacon is mad that he's to little to get on his by himself, but I'm sure in a few months it will be differnet! Looks like you had an awesome Christmas!

Sammy said...

Where to start! don't you hate posting long posts? ha ha such a pain but the result is great! First off you are so good to play settlers, i can't do it but looks like you enjoyed it! I LOVE that picture of hazel in her dress by the tree, her chubby arms! oh i could eat them. so sweet, her dress was too adorable. Her chubby cheeks and that dimple! oh my goodness. so sweet she was so fun to be with christmas morning, so much fun. Thanks for another congrats! I love it, and i also stole that picture of erik in the santa beard and hat. ha ha so great. I love your christmas pictures you all look beautiful!!!

Ostler said...

Oh Crystal. I have been WAITING for this post! Thank you!!! :) You guys are so cute. And seriously, I called Erik in here like fifty times to make him look at cute baby Hazel. Seriously. She is so cute. I need to come spend some quality time over there. But not Tuesday. Noted. Anyway, we need to plan something soon, because we haven't really seen you guys yet. Only for a late night soy sauce need...And that doesn't count!
Anyway, just know that I just love love love your little babe. I can't even stand it. I can't wait to find out what kind of little friend she's going to have. We only have 11 more days!!! Give her a kiss for me. Or like 2 or 3. And I will be over sometime soon!!!
(Also, your hair looks fantastic in all the pictures. Nice work.)

Erica said...

Crystal, boy I've missed you in the blogging world. I figured you were up to some serious fun stuff with the family. I don't even know where to begin, so I probably will keep it short. I love that little babe of yours. Little Miss Hazey, and I do mean little compared to cute big boy Parker, is adorable on that pony. Oh my, I just love this post to pieces, glad you didn't skip it!

shauni said...

I am very excited to see this post, I have been WAITING for it, knowing that it would be a good one, so I'm glad you decided it was worth posting. I can see why it was so overwhelming- you have so many pictures (and so many good ones!). I'm glad Hazel had a good first Christmas, I love her Christmas dress, the striped grey and white sweater and her pony. She looks so big standing and riding ponies! I am a big fan of Settlers, but every time my family pulls it out Colby bails. Maybe you guys can talk him into playing next time we are in town.

cheeks said...

oh, i too hate posting these dreaded long posts, but i love reading them, so thanks for that!!

oh how i LOVE SETTLERS!! we've stayed up many late nights here with friends playing that game! it gets pretty brutal, lets just say brett and i get mean!

Hazey-j's little christmas dress is just too cute! i love all her firsts! you guys partied NON-STOP! do you have room in your house for that stallion?!?! ha ha! What a hoot! she looks so cute in all those pics riding it! Did you name it yet? :)

i'm sad we missed out on the play date....although, i'm glad Emri still has her eyes! ha! parker is playin hard to get! teasin the girls already?! seeing you guys was what i was most looking forward to on that trip....i want to swear! dang sickness!

how exciting to have another oberg on the way! that's so great!

As far as negative comments go....i won't leave any! i was thinking of taylor during the game....i remembered he's a big O fan. i'm actually surprised we pulled it off....buckeyes seem to always choke when it counts. good game anyway! miss ya!

April said...

No you are not bad parents for not taking her to see Santa. In fact, you are probably better parents because you did not bundle your beautiful little Hazel up and submit her to the cold outside world. Plus you get bonus points for a Christmas dress. It is adorable! And I definitely did not get one for my babes, so I think we know who the best mom is :D. I bow down to your mad mothering skillz....and yes, I did use a "z" in "skillz" I find I have more street cred when I use it that way. Glad you guys had a Merry Christmas :)

Mike and Kim said...

I seriously doubt that was the last Settler's game -- Taylor has yet to beat the unstoppable duo, and he won't rest until he does.

I don't remember getting mad at you twice in Utah, only once. What was the second time?

No skiing pictures? I sent them to you to include in your post, dammit.

It was great to see you guys.

Jed and Kera said...

bahahahahahahaha!! That's in replace of a negative comment.:O)

I loved the post! I love the picture of Hazel on Christmas morning just standing there....like one of the first ones. I also love the picture of the three of you ....not the one wear Hazel looks like she is clawing away from Taylor to try to get to you, but the one right before that. I your shirt and I wish Jed would wear a sweater over his shirt and tie like that. I've always really liked it when men so that....but alas Jed is my own personal heater;O) and get way to hot to layer. boo. ANYWAY you all look great as always. Love that lil baby girl!

Steven and Megan said...

Good job on making it through such a long post! My favorites are of Hazel on her pony and of her cute hat and mittens. I'm glad you guys had a good Christmas and it was fun to see you over the holiday!

hoLLY said...

What a fun Christams of firsts for little miss Hazel! I know how you feel I was dreading my christmas post! so many pics to choose from! I love hazels Christmas dress! super cute! glad you guys had a good holiday season!

Melissa said...

Hazel is so adorable in her Christmas dress….I love the matching color scheme with the other grandkids…cute! (who’s the little boy in the argyle vest?!? Ahhh!) Your Christmas looked great! Who made Hazel’s stocking! So nice! And I love her cute pink pony! Can Parker come up sometime and try it out?! (I was going to say - take her for a ride – but that didn’t sound right! Ha ha) I love her little hat and mittens…she has the sweetest expression in that picture!

I’m so excited for Hazel to be getting some teeth…not that it has slowed her down any…sounds like she is well fed! Ha ha Her one little tooth is so cute.

Way to go skiing. It looks like the perfect day!

Hazel looks so sweet with her little Christmas bow on her head. I just love to see her suck her thumb…AND her EYES!!! WOW! They are so pretty! I still can’t believe how blue they are…pictures don’t do them justice. Pretty!

Sorry about Parker ‘honking’ Hazel’s nose – he’s been really into that lately! I’m glad she still has her nose and both eyes. Yikes! I’m so glad that you came over! It was so fun to see you and Hazel. We need to do that more often! Hazel is a total babe! I still can’t believe how well she gets around! Ahhh…I’m not ready for that stage! They look so cute sitting next to each other on the couch! Love her!

Monica said...

That was such a big post! Hazel is just to dye for cute! I love you face when she rides her new pony-did she get spoiled or what??? I love it!

I am jealous of your cusinart-I have mini-which I am grateful to have that-but wish I could do "full loads". So awesome!!!

And you always make me laugh when you post on my blog! You will never believe where I go my scarf??? Yup...Walmart-$7! I even tried going back and buying more for my sisters and I can't find it anymore!
But thanks for the compliment!
And I am planning on UDA on Friday only. I still need to work out a sitter, but lets meet up for sure!

Erin said...

Oh my, I never would've been able to cover that like you did (as you can tell by me not having any Christmas pics on my blog)! You're awesome. My favorite, other than cutest baby Hazel pics, is Taylor's face in all the Settler's pics, and how he doesn't appear to have moved a muscle. We have a neighbor with whom we have a standing game night for Settler's as soon as she gets it in the mail. I'm still feeling sensitive about losing Killer Bunnies the other night, though.

I wish we were closer to you guys!

rupee40 said...

All those firsts are so much fun! Hazel looks adorable in her Christmas dress. It was fun to see you guys even though it was only for a minute...it seems we are never back home for long enough! Looks like you had a great holiday!