Tuesday, December 01, 2009

A Little Thanksgiving Sampling to Tickle Your Fancy

Thanksgiving... what a great holiday; am I right? A holiday that focuses solely on food with none of the stress of gift giving? I mean seriously, I just can't think of anything better.

So this year, as with every year, we kicked off the holiday with our annual Pie Day. All the ladies gathered together and whipped up 9 different pies; each one being a little slice of heaven.
The big day arrived.
Hazel put on her fancy shoes for the event.
Mama Sue worked up some serious eats in the kitchen
and Taylor made his 'to-die-for' sweet potato casserole.

Seriously folks, to-die-for. Just don't ask for the recipe, it's a secret.

Incidentally, I say it's not a secret if it can be found in a cookbook.
Taylor's response: "It's a very obscure southern cookbook..."

and then, because we didn't eat enough on Thanksgiving, we traveled up to the Oberg's house for a "second" Thanksgiving on Friday.

Taylor smoked the turkey for 10 hours.

I almost died in ecstasy upon my first bite.
Taylor couldn't keep the vultures (i.e me and Erik) away from the meat as he was carving the turkey. My favorite quote of the day was Erik's response to Taylor's repeated warnings to stop picking.

"I'm just taking a little nib of the carc"

nib=nibble
carc=carcass


and of course, love abounded for the little Hazel nut.




By the way, how does this look?
I know some of the pictures seem a little crooked.
But overall.... is it too much?

Before:
After:

18 comments:

Erica said...

I love your wall of many pictures. It's not too much because sometimes I'm afraid I'll go overboard with dog pictures(hey to each his own right...?) but now that I've seen your wall I'm good ;)

You look like you mean business with that mixer. Go you!

I totally know what Taylor means about the secret recipe. That's how I feel about the peanut butter cake. Yes, it can be found in a cookbook but I hold it near and dear to my heart. Had I not met you I would have never appreciated it in all it's glory. Thank you!

Melissa Rees said...

Please to explain how you smoke a turkey!! Terry is dying to either deep fry or smoke one. If I have to hear about it for another year...

Sammy said...

oh my word crystal i am crying because of Erik's Carc quote. oh my gosh! that is the funniest thing I've ever heard. oh dear. anyway, I think your pictures are great! Not at all boring like you said. I think you did a great job of capturing thanksgiving! that turkey looks delicious, I'm sad I missed out. Hazel just gets cuter and cuter, love those pictures.

cheeks said...

thanks....my fancy has now been tickled! ha!

i love hazel's sparkly shoes! it's quite the event, thanksgiving, a girl does need special shoes just for that!

i like your picture wall....you know me and my LOVE for pics!

taylors smoked turkey sounds wonderful! he is such a man! i need me a man that cooks as much as taylor does! the nib/carc line was pretty sweet! i can totally see taylor trying to shew you guys away from his prized bird!

oh how i wish i could sample each one of those delicious pies! and those rolls chillin in the pic with your mom and bro look A. MA. ZING. Glad you had a great holiday!

Mary Ann said...

I love the wall! How wonderful is your life? I love reading about it. Your family is so cute, fun and lovable! Glad I already got the hook up to the obscure southern cookbook ha ha ha!

Mary Ann said...

I miss my mom's smoked turkey. I LOVE smoked turkey left overs. So flavorful and wonderful!!!
Taylor is the best!

shauni said...

Yeah, another post from Crystal! I love Hazel's sparkly shoes and cute little pink bow, she is a doll. Also, love the picture wall (I just did something similar with all black picture frames, some of which are also crooked!) Your feast looks like it beat the pants off the Marriot buffet (my sweet husband said he just wanted to spend time with me rather than me spending time in the kitchen- not sure I believe that though). I am cracking up about Taylor's "secret" recipe. Glad you guys had a fun Thanksgiving- we miss you!

hoLLY said...

the new wall looks fab! love love love it! and can I just say hazel is stinkin cute!

Ali and Andrew Hyde said...

You can never have too many pictures! I love it! I'm read for a change in my living room too... You've inspired me!

Jed and Kera said...

first off Dalton take a triple look at one of the pictures of Hazel and then tried to jump off my lap to get her...humm this could be a problem! :O) you look amazing as always! :O) yumm everything looked so good. my stomach is rumbling now! i know i say it every time, but we miss you guys a lot. :O)

April said...

I love the picture wall. It looks just right, definitely not too much. Looks like Thanksgiving was a blast. I'm wishing I knew how to make pies. Your pie day looks like it's a lot of fun.

Maria said...

Wow, it looks great! You look so cute in the kitchen with your apron! I don't think I've ever worn an apron, let alone cooked.

Donene said...

The smoked turkey looks delicious! It looks like you had a great family time too. I love the pictures on the wall, you did a great job.

paige and jord said...

i think i have about three collages around my house. gotta love it. and what a scrumptious looking dinner... im starving.

Alisha said...

All that food looks amazing! Now I am hungery.

Melissa said...

Crystal...you could be a model! You look so good in all of your pictures!

Hazel is so cute with her little sparkley shoes! Looks like she gets plenty of love! :)

Your thanksgiving looks great! I remember hearing about Taylor's sweet potatoes in the past. How long has he been doing that? The turkey looks fantastic!

I LOVE your wall with all your family pictures. They are all so cute...I can see how it would have been hard to just choose one to frame. It looks really nice!

I'm up for getting together whenever... I work Wednesdays..other than that I'm free. Let me know if your coming down anytime...if not we can make plans to come up and see you and Hazel...

Lonna said...

You really know how to feast. Thursday and Friday, the full on dinner both days. Yeah I think that I need to make my way into your families.

I like the photo wall. I currently have a few walls that need a little before/after magic.

Love that your family does the pie making day, I think that is really a cute and fun little tradition. And I think that each year there seem to be more and more girls in the kitchen. You look so great in all your photos as always, I have to say that I am a fan of the 007 mixer photo. Only you would be able to make a mixer look fantastic.

Monica said...

Crystal! I've missed you! Your wall of pictures looks fantastic! And that word reminds me of you too!

You can't tell me that Taylor's sweet potato casserole is to die for and then not share the recipe! Because what are the chances of me being invited to a Frost/Oberg Thanksgiving feast for a taste test??? I'm guessing very minimal. Plus...I think mine is better! ha ha ha.

Little Hazel is getting so big! I see she is already getting into trouble-pulling stuff out! She is a cutie!