If memory serves me correctly, I haven’t been sick for 11 months, so I guess it’s about time I got a visit from the old Mucous Fairy.
I forgot how much I HATE being sick.
(Don’t worry yourself; it’s not swine flu or anything like that. Taylor forced me to go to the Instacare yesterday because he was worried about the fact that I sound like a circus seal every time I cough. I was informed that I have the not-so-serious bronchitis.)
I have been laid-up all weekend with chills, an achy body, and weakness to conquer all weakness.
(P.S. Thank you Mindy for watching Hazel babe for a few minutes. I’m pretty sure Hazel could have gotten into a stack of hypodermic needles and I would have been too exhausted to try and stop her)
Anyway, today I had just put Hazel down for a nap and I went in to my bedroom to lie down. As I was laying there the only thing my little heart desired was to feel my warm husband curled up next to me.
C: “Taylor will you come snug me?”
T: “No. I’ll get you an extra blanket though.”
C: “I don’t want an extra blanket, I want a snug.”
T: “I’m reading the news (online). It’s my routine…”
C: “Please come snug with me”
Reluctantly Taylor came over to the bed and lay down. I lay there for a minute all warm and content.
Then I looked over at Tay baby to see if he was as happy as I was; he wasn’t
I asked him if he could fall back asleep and he said “probably not”. He then told me that I needed to take a nap and tried to hand me my earplugs (yes, we sleep with earplugs, get over it).
“No, this is not about taking a nap. I just want you to snug with me”
We lay there for a few more seconds, when the next thing I know Taylor has pulled an extra blanket up over me, pulled down the blinds and turned off the baby monitor.
“You need a nap,” he tells me.
“Are you really going to act bothered by my one request to snuggle with you? You would probably be happier if you were a swingin’ bachelor and no one to bother you with silly requests to cuddle.” (I’m a brat)
I put in my earplugs and despite my attempts to stay awake and angry I drifted off to dreamland.
I woke up an hour later feeling much better. Taylor was walking up the stairs to get the babe who had just awoken from her slumber too.
He brought Hazel in to me so that I could feed her and disappeared back downstairs.
In the few minutes that followed I could hear quite the commotion downstairs, dishes clanking, silverware scraping. I assumed Taylor was preparing our Sunday dinner, but secretly I was hoping against all hopes that he was really washing the dishes.
Every time I leave the dishes for the following morning, I always cross my fingers that the ‘dirty dish elves’ have done their work while I lay fast asleep upstairs.
This never happens. I’m always left holding the dishrag, so to speak.
In preface to this story, I must inform you that Taylor despises doing the dishes; it is his lot in life, his downfall if you will. Achilles had his heel; Taylor has the dirty dish. This hatred is fueled even further by the fact that we don’t have a dishwasher so every last utensil is washed by hand.
I must also mention that last night Taylor made homemade pizza AND cookies AND prepped everything for our Sunday dinner.
Obviously, the sink was overflowing with mountains of crusty dishes.
Today was a day like any other. I walked downstairs hoping against all odds that the dishes were done but knowing with every fiber of my being that the Leaning Tower of Dishes were going to greet me when I turned the corner…
…What the what!? Clean dishes, clean counter tops, all the leftovers covered and put away, and a husband drying pans?
HALLELUJIAH!
“Taylor your really DO love me!”
Some of you might not see the love in this scenario, but believe you me, I would give up snugging for the rest of my life for this one instance of a sweet husband cleaning the kitchen while I lay fast asleep upstairs
(Incidentally, Taylor loves to snug me, just not while he’s working through his morning “routine”)
17 comments:
Oh Crystal, how I love thee. I've had the barking walrus cough for about 2 weeks now, and I can't see to shake it. Everytime I go to the doc they say it's nothing, so I haven't bothered to go this time.
I also sleep with earplugs and I'm so glad someone else does too! I stopped for awhile when Deacon was first born, but now I'm back to using them! I'm addicted!
What a great guy Taylor is for doing the dishes! I love when I hear Terry start loading the dishes (sorry, we have a dishwasher). It's not to often, but I still love it when he does it.
Oh my heck, you crack me up. I love this! "Snug me", so funny. I've come to expect LeRand to do the dishes (he "gets mad" when I do them, which I think originated way back when we didn't have a dishwasher and he was paranoid that I wasn't getting them clean enough, so he volunteered to take over that duty, so it's really not as sweet as it may sound ;) ), so when I "do" them (rinse and put in the washer) he's happy. When he doesn't do them as soon as I'd like then I get irritated. I'm a brat, too. That's why we're such good friends. I really miss you. And I really am jealous of your winter wardrobe. Mine still sits lonely in my closet as my summer clothes become more and more faded.
such a nice boy! he knew what you really needed (more than a snug) was to not wake up...still sick....to have to attack that tower of dishes! good man! it was so great to talk to you today! i'm glad you're feeling better!
Oh sorry that you are sick! Colby has been fighting it, and I'm afraid the babes has come down with it too. Feel better soon. I love this post! Taylor really does love you, and he knows what's best for you too :)
You are too funny! It is even funnier because I can totally relate to this story. I didn't realize that Taylor and Colby had so much in common, Colb also has his "morning routine," doesn't like to do dishes and will not "snug me" during the day for fear that he will fall asleep (and he does not like to nap). So glad that Taylor is taking care of you, I hope you get feeling better soon.
I can relate to this post, but I am Taylor. I think you need The Snuggie. Ha Ha.
P.S. I love to "snug" with Mike.
Yikes I am sorry that you are not feeling so well. It is one thing to be sick, and a totally different thing to be sick with a baby to take care of as well.
This post made me want to cry a bit. James is NOT the dishes man at all. In fact I don't remember the last time he did the dishes, it is a real treat if I catch (meaning hint to him) to rinse out his glass, and he does it.
He is also not a snuggie kind of person, he is like Kim, a need your space while sleeping person. I think that is so sweet that Taylor not only let you take a needed nap, but he did the icky dishes, cleaned up the kitchen, AND was ready to take care of Hazel. What a great guy you have there.
Crystal, so I cried. Yes, I just cried at that beautiful story. Granted, it could be because I'm a little emotional at the lack of love shown my direction in this MONTH(ya know the whole birthday thing...) That is the sweetest thing Taylor could have ever done! Oh the jealousy bug definitely bit me hard this morning due to this story. Can Taylor give Daren a kick in the pants? I'm glad to know your sickness is nothing more than a little brochitis, no swine flu for me!
That is so cute! I hope you're feeling better, now! I went shopping a lot this week and I'd have to admit to being one of those people, you know, the ones who glare at the ones with the walrus coughs and wonder, "why the heck didn't you stay home!?" I know that's mean!
I can't remember the last time Rory did the dishes! Seriously. He used to do them all the time back when we both worked. Now I wouldn't let him if he wanted to. He just wouldn't do it right :) He did attempt folding and putting laundry away, I pretty much had to re-do all of it though! I think I'm a control freak.
Oh my gosh!!! He cleaned the dishes?!? I cannot believe it! I'm so happy for you. Good job to Taylor!!! YAY! That is so cute, too, because he was trying to take such good care of you. I might have teared up a little. Oh my. Also, I will take baby Hazel whenever you will let me. That night, I got home, and told Erik that I got Hazel for a minute. He's like "Oh wow. I'm sure that was enjoyable for everyone involved..." I am not sure if it was sarcasm...But I don't care. I had a blast. Anyway...I hope you're feeling better. I'll come see you soon to make sure. And then we will cut your hair someday.
that is hilarious, those boys and dishes, actually erik is very very good about it, probably does it at least once a week but its like pulling teeth to get him to do it, but when he does oh how i love it! I hope that you are feeling better, I felt so bad that you couldn't come to my boutique on friday i know you would've LOVED everything there, it was a lot of fun, but it was good that you were able to have a quiet night at home FINALLY for the weekend i'm sure!!!
Crystal, you are so funny!! Circus seal coughing - LOL! I also sleep with earplugs, so I didn't even flinch when I read that.
Get well, get well, we want you to get well!!
I hope you feel better. I love when Cory cleans up unexpectedly, and lets me take a nap, and takes care of the kids. Heaven! You're a lucky girl.
Crystal this is my life. Dan too hate the dishes with every fiber of his being. I hate the dishes with every fiber of my being. We do not have a dishwasher. It is rough. I finally got it through to Dan though. I said is is normal for the wife to work 40 hours outside the home the same as her husband. Dan said now-days yeah. I said is it normal for that wife to bring in more $$ than the husband? He said no but trends are changing. I then said If I work 40 hours and you work 40 hours outside the home then why am I expected to do all the house work? He had no reply. He finally admits it is not fair. He now does dishes and laundry. I am still working on the 'clean the bathroom'. But hey. I will take someone else doing dishes anyday!
Oh, I too sleep with earplugs! What brand are yours. I am having a hard time finding ones I like now that my usual are discontinued...the ones I have now do not block out Dan snoring as well as the other ones did.
Sorry to hear that you have been sick! I sure hope that you get feeling better soon! I think I would have taken a clean kitchen over a 'snug' most days. I HATE doing dishes...esp if they have sat in the sink for longer than an hour. Taylor is so great! I can't believe how many people sleep with earplugs!
haha. I can't read your blog at work because I seriously laugh out loud :) I love it. I wish I could come down to clean dishes but cleaning in general is JJ's worst nightmare!!
I hope you are feeling better!
I LOVE your stories... they are always so entertaining! You should write a book-seriously.
Post a Comment