We were told to congregate at the Spectrum (USU's basketball arena) at 10:00 on Sunday morning.
Problem... Hazel takes her morning nap from 10-11 and she has decided that she lacks the ability to fall asleep in our arms and can only sleep in a crib (or occasionally carseat when we're driving). Oh well, it was more important to go to church right?
Sunday morning rolled around. I rearranged Hazel's nap-time, I skipped the shaving that my legs so desperately needed. Taylor hurried to get our dinner started (yes, he makes our sunday dinners). I hurried to get Hazel ready which took much longer due to her stuffy nose that I had to suck out a million times and TWO dirty diapers. But dang it, we made it out the door almost on time.
We started the 10 minute walk to the Spectrum.
We were almost to the Spectrum when we saw a bunch of "church goers" walking away from the doors. I stopped one of them and got the news that the Spectrum was at capacity and that they were not letting any more people in.
Taylor wanted to go home and go back to bed.
I told him that I did not rearrange Hazel's whole nap schedule AND put a dress on to give up now. Taylor indulged me, and said he thought it was being broadcasted at the stake center. So we walked all the way back home, got in the car, and drove the two blocks to the stake center.
Upon arrival we saw that the parking lot was almost empty; not a good sign.
I got out and checked the doors... locked. Awesome. I looked through the window and saw that the doors to the chapel were open and optimistically thought that it really WAS being broadcasted and that someone just forget to unlock the outside doors. We drove around to another door.... unlocked. Finally. We got Hazel out and walked inside to the chapel.
Totally dark, not a soul there.
We saw another family walking around. They told us that they went to another stake center and that it wasn't being broadcasted there either... GREAT.
By this point I was totally irritated by the mass of mormons at the Spectrum who took all of the seats, bothered by the fact that none of the churches we went to were broadcasting conference, and even more bugged that weren't told where to go in case the Spectrum was full. So I said a few choice swear words,
at which point I stopped and thought that maybe, just maybe, this was a life-test that I was failing miserably.
There was nothing more that I could say that would convince Taylor to keep looking. By now it was 10:40 and we headed home.
I was so excited to see Henry B. Eyring in person that I insisted:
- we come home last night from Taylor's parents' house instead of sleeping over, just so that we could make it to church on time
- on juggling Hazel's nap
- that Taylor get out of bed and go to church
- on packing up the diaper bag with everything under the sun for my sick little babe
- on walking my butt all over Logan
only to end up going home!
I can't believe that I put make-up on for nothing (although, Taylor told me my face looked pretty so I guess that part wasn't such a waste after all).
So now I sit here not being uplifted or edified but instead using my time to complain (and so I continue to fail my life-test).
To make myself feel better I'm posting the beautiful pictures I took last weekend on my walk around the cemetery.
We drove to the top of Logan Canyon and looked out over Bear Lake, which was also beautiful.
20 comments:
You should've called me...I'd send you to "my" stake center. I know that feeling...it's like when I've packed my car and loaded the pups to head down to Daren's parents and we end up not going. Ha! I hate it. You look great in those family pictures! I love the Oberg family!
Oh My! That's a lot of work! I'm sorry things didn't work out as planned. Hazel's eyes are so pretty in the pictures! She's such a cutie!
on the upside....you look fantastic in your new feather headband!
Sorry for the wild goose chase....and no president eyring at the end. You made a valiant effort though, so that counts to The Man Upstairs!!
This should most certainly make you feel better about our temple trip: I'm pretty sure it's the 2nd time since SHILOH's been born that I've been to the temple, and the first for LeRand. And now we're paying by having to travel 7+ hours in the car, get a hotel (still don't know anyone in Orlando), and go one at a time so someone can stay with the kids (each trip should end up costing us around $300, assuming we can get another $20/night hotel like we did this time). You most certainly shouldn't feel bad about not going every month, my sweet friend. Just for the record I'm not complaining; the Lord most definitely gave me plenty of opportunities to go with my husband, do a session in under 3 hours, and be home without spending more than 20 mins. worth of gas. It's me who took it for granted and now am realizing just how easy I had things. But this most certainly wasn't meant to make you feel more like you need to get to the temple (that's the Spirit's job, not mine ;)). Hazel is the cutest, I really miss her, and I miss your pretty face, too, with or without make up. Sorry to say, but I'm pretty sure this day was just the first of many like it. And you only have one baby. Those were the days...:)
Ouch. I've learned that if something ends in "conference" it means stay home and sleep in. No muss, no fuss and no crowds. Although there's no edifying either, so I guess that doesn't help you. :)
I can't believe all that effort you guys put forth and didn't even end up getting to go! Those pictures are adorable looking over Bear Lake, you all look great in them.
no way! we were in the spectrum and it never filled to capacity! there were tons of seats left (although all really bad ones behind the speakers & up high.) i can't believe they didn't let you in! crazy!
I can't believe they didn't broadcast it!!?? Did they really think that ALL of Logan was going to fit into the Spectrum. Especially when Pres. Eyering was speaking. Why did no one think ahead like you? Sorry that you missed it. That totally sucks. On the upside, you totally have a super cute family.
Is Hazel related to Deacon? He won't nap anywhere but his crib either!! Church hasn't been uplifting at all since he started walking. It's a 3 hour wrestling match! I will say he did really good yesterday. We made it all the way thru Sacrament without having to take him out. He decided to sit with the people behind us instead!!
Well you are better people than me... at least you tried! Sorry it didn't work out. Hazel sure is cute though and you look cute with your new feather headband!
oh yeah, and it was broadcast at the toaster and the chapel way behind lees. (down the street)
ha ha! You're funny! I can't believe the effort you put into going to this regional conference.
It was never announced in our ward. Eric even asked in one of the meetings and they said that it was ward conference. Well, my mom told us that it was regional conference at 10...we decided that it was a vacation day. Our church vacation days seem to be use it or loose it...so we took a day off. It was so nice that Eric didn't have to go to the church at 6:30am. Sorry that you went to so much effort. I would have been upset to get ready and put so much effort into going...only to go home without hearing the message. I wonder how many other people this happened to!
Hazel has a stuffy nose?! Is she okay? She looks so cute in her 'mummy' shirt. Parker has a shirt that says "I want my mummy". He seems to be wearing a lot of shirts lately that have something to do with his mommy (I love mommy...) ha ha! It's good for my ego!
You're quite the photographer! The trees look so great at the cemetary. Looks like a beautiful view of Bear Lake.... cute headband!! :)
Well if that had happened to us we probably would have headed out to breakfast and then home for naps, if you are going to take a hit why not make it a good one.
I am sorry about that ordeal, yuck. I totally know how you feel, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, its not like you were missing on purpose, and seeing as we just had conference I am sure that you were edified there.
I love the Halloween shirt on Hazel. she is so darling, I can hardly stand it. Where did you find leggings for her size they are so cute. By the by I was in Gymboree the other day and they have all the little Christmas dresses out and I was taken back to last year when I was on the hunt for shoes for Hazel, and I will admit that I was saddened that I had no new babies to buy tiny clothes for. You better get to work.
I am laughing so hard, I almost peed my pants! That is awesome- one of those forever memories that you can laugh about- later- it's maybe too fresh.
to go from cloud nine to not edified is horrible, im so sorry I feel you motherly frustration!! but on a happier note you guys look adorable & I love Hazel's little outfit ! soo cute!
Hazels outfit is so cute! You crack me up-we don't even attempt stake conference anymore! what's the point? I'll be walking the hallway with a cranky kid who won't sit still. We barely manage sacrament meeting! But I would have been disspointed too... :)
Someday our lives won't be run by our babies' schedules-right? Probably not!
I totally thought I already commented on this post. bless your heart.... I can just see this whole story in my mind. What a bummer....but wow do you look great! and I love little Hazel Jane's outfit!
Crystal that SUCKS!! I was so sad to read your post! You could've had our seats... and I swear there were open ones everywhere. I had no idea that they were locking people out. :( We skipped church the week before because neither of us remembered to turn on our water heater at our new house when we moved in the day before and I got in the shower with just enough time to get ready only to find that the water was freezing.... and so... I failed a life lesson as well I think :) At least YOU had a good excuse :)
Crystal, I truly hate it when my careful planning fails. It just about tests my patience. You gave your best effort. You are a wonderful woman-mom-wife!
Post a Comment