Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Camping with a 5 month old anyone??

We had our ward camp-out this past weekend. Taylor is on the activities committee and was in charge of the dutch oven dinner for 80 people. He put a TON of work into it and of course, as is with everything Taylor does, it turned out perfect (albeit, a tad bit late. But, they were dutch ovens... it seems like you ALWAYS have to wait on dutch ovens).
Taylor's only consolation for serving on the activities committee (not his favorite calling) is that our great friends the Ostler's, are the committee chairs. So really, fulfilling his calling just means that we get to hang out with our friends. It's great. Plus, Mindy loves Hazel as much as I do, so it's a win-win situation for everyone.
We had a great turn-out:
And Hazel was dream baby the whole time.
I think it's safe to say that she was plenty warm (she slept in her carseat, in the tent, with footy jammies and 3 blankets)
and the next morning, woke up one happy little camper.


24 comments:

Erin said...

This has never happened before, I'm the first to comment! Usually I'm like 524th or something. So, your camping experience turned out a heck of a lot different than mine would have with my kids, had I ever decided to do something so insane. I'm sure Shiloh would've jumped into the lake or the fire, or both, and in that order. Hazel Bean is the cutest! If Asher weren't so meek I'd be confident that he could beat up any other of her many suitors, but alas, it may just have to be Hazel's choice in the end. I still laugh every time I think about your anniversary pic :). So glad I have someone who shares my unphotogenicity ;). Whatever, that's like the only pic you've ever not looked perfect in. :) Man, I sure miss you guys! We should be coming for an extended stay in July at the latest, Alix should be getting married on the 10th. I better hurry and publish before someone snags my #1 spot!!

Erica said...

You are crazy! I can't go camping at the age of 22...5 months? But, nice to see she was extra bundled. I love the peek a boo picture. I giggled extra loud. She looks SO old in those last two pictures. Extra cuddly though. Give her a good squeeze from me!

P.S. I hate dutch ovens for their lack of cooking. I get super frustrated at the thought of it...

Erin said...

Just wanted you to note the time of my first post and Erica and Daren's. I was totally justified in worrying :)

Sammy said...

Oh my gosh crystal i LOVE her in that hat and those jammies! I just want to kiss those cheeks! She is SO good at camping, she loves it already I guess! Looks like so much fun, I wish our ward did a campout.Taylor is quite the dutch oven chef. mmm mmmm

The Shaws said...

Whatever!!!She is so stinkin cute!

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh she is so freakin cute! I love the little beanie - what a little doll face! You are daring to go camping with a baby - camping for me is a hotel without room service. Nuff said.

Donene said...

Little Hazel is sooo cute, I just want to pick her up and kiss her little cheeks. Way to go Taylor with the dutch oven cooking, I bet it was delicious!

Ostler said...

Oh Crystal...how is it that your baby is so freaking cute that I can't even stop from smiling HUGE even when I'm just looking at her picture on a computer in the computer lab?!? Seriously. People probably think I'm weird with the whole "proud mommy" smile at my computer. They'd even be more weirded out if they knew that I'm not the proud mommy. However, your facts were correct. I do LOVE that baby!!! :) Also, I'm glad Taylor finds some pleasure in serving on activities. However, I am sure that between the 2 of us, (4 counting you and Erik) we will be VERY happy to be around in activities the next few months, eh? ba ha ha. Also the food was delicious, you guys are so AWESOME!!! Thanks so much for doing it!!! I hope baby Hazel is feeling better! And I'll see ya tomorrow. Bright'n'early. p.s. do not pull any of your happy morning person stuff in the morning..."this is such a great day!" At 6 in the morn, I won't be able to handle it. Moowahahaha.

Melissa Rees said...

I love that Taylor doesn't love his calling. I don't think there is any calling I would like, especially one involving camping and food. Nevertheless, how stinkin' cute is Hazel in that beanie hat?! She's like a fluffy white bunny ready to be squeezed. Sorry about my blog post confusion. I guess what I meant to say was, it's a boy but sometimes girl parts can look big too.

Maria said...

He, he, Hazel's outfit is so cute! Props to your hubby for all the hard work he put into that dinner. That's a lot of people to feed. It's hard being on the activities commitee because you put so much work into it and no one really appreciates it.

April said...

Oh my goodness Crystal, she looks so adorable all bundled up. She's such a good baby! How do you do it? Please share your secrets with me. :)

Mary Ann said...

I love that you took Hazel camping. I have pics of me sleeping in the trunk of the car with my parents on the ground outside. Weird times...I mean we did not even have car seats! Hazel is the cutest thing in the world. I would love to take her camping!

Steven and Megan said...

Oh i love that last picture! Hazel is just so CUTE!!!

Anonymous said...

SO CUTE!!! Love the picture with her all wrapped up with her cute little face just barely peeking out! LOVE IT!

hoLLY said...

oh she is looking so big in these pics!! and so adorable & snuggly...i love that last pic of her!
we have not attempted camping with trae yet, and im pretty sure it would be a nightmare! ha jk....
how fun!

cheeks said...

ok....she totally wins the cutest little camper award! we haven't attempted it yet....maybe because i'm nervous about the night??? or maybe it's cuz we don't have mountains to camp in! ha!

love the little beanie! did you make that? i remember your sweet crocheting skills at RS when we learned to make those burp cloths with the crochet edges! uh, i think mine is unfinished in a bag somewhere!

Props to Taylor for the great activity....and i really wish i could have eaten that food cuz i'm sure it was amazing! way to go! miss you guys!

shauni said...

She is so cute, I can't believe how much bigger she has gotten in the last month! I'm glad she was so good for your camping trip. I am really craving some dutch oven cooking now, mmmmm.

Melissa said...

WOW! hazel is so cute! I love her little hat! I can't believe she slept so well in a tent! Thats incredible! Good job with the dutch oven dinner...sounds fantastic!

THE WOODWORTHS said...

How fun...Josh and I haven't even attempted camping with Ethan. I love how snuggly she looks in those last pictures:)

Casey and Samantha said...

AWW... So sad that we have moved. Looks like so much fun! I totally wished I could have had some of that wicked awesome dinner. I'm sure it was fabulous! Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

So cute! Next time you guys do a girls night, I would love to come. I know I am just inviting myself but it would be fun to get both groups of girls together. I seriously haven't seen any of them for a super long time.

Becca said...

Seriously you guys are quite ambitious. I am impressed.

paige and jord said...

so im glad my hand is on my bum in that picture...for everyone to see. how lovely.
but boy did we have a great time. thanks again taylor.. you did an awesome (and very tastey!) job!

ps. we are aware that you are always watching. we are very careful now ;)

rupee40 said...

Ah, the days of a child sleeping in the carseat. You lucky! Camping is quite another challenge when she starts walking around. But it's just that much funner! Hazel is getting so big and is just so cute!