I need to preface this whole post by informing the readers about Taylor and his culinary hobbies. Taylor loves cooking, and a few years ago he found a recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole in his Southern Cooking cookbook. He decided he wanted to make it, so we went to the store to get the ingredients. I went straight towards the yams and started putting some in a bag... This was when I got the lecture about how yams and sweet potatoes are two VERY different things.
Fast forward four years time. I was talking to my brother Mike, about how his Thanksgiving was. Somehow we got on the subject of Taylor's incredible Sweet Potato Casserole which ultimately lead us to the discussion of a sweet potato vs. a yam. My brother said that he had been confused between the two and that I should post about the difference to clarify any misconceptions. Actually after much research I've clarified some of my own misconceptions as well. This is what I discovered:
"Yams and sweet potatoes are both tubers that are roots of vines and both are vegetables; however, the similarities end there. Grocery stores are probably to blame when it comes to confusing the yam with the sweet potato. They seem to indiscriminately lump them together. " Very true. One year Taylor and I went to the store to find the ingredients for the casserole and came upon a display with "sweet potatoes", butter, marshmallows (FYI: Taylor doesn't use marshmallows) and brown sugar. All the fixin's for a great casserole.... WRONG! The store actually didn't have any sweet potatoes and the impostors that they were marketing under the same name were in fact, YAMS!
Sweet Potatoes are smaller than yams
Sweet Potatoes are grown in North America, Yams are grown in tropical climates (however, both are usually sold in grocery stores)
Sweet Potatoes have tapered ends whereas Yams do not
There are two different types of Sweet Potatoes. The first one must be what Taylor uses in his baking:
1) "thin, with light yellow skin. This type of sweet potato is starchy like a baking potato and its flesh is yellowish and, oddly enough, not very sweet."
2) "The other variety is what is usually masquerading as a yam. Its Halloween-orange flesh is a lot sweeter and its much thicker skin ranges from light to dark orange or even light red."
Yams contain more natural sugar than sweet potatoes and have a higher moisture content
There are 150 varieties of yams
This takes us to the end of my informative section of this post. I hope it has helped everyone become a little more savvy when taking a trip in the "tuber" section of the grocery store.
Now on to my very limited picture section of our Thanksgiving fun.
Proud Taylor and his smoked masterpiece (he must be happy with how it turned out, note the seldom seen, but always sexy smile)
Taylor was so tuckered out from all of his eating that he couldn't even enjoy his pie sitting up. This is what I call some serious lounging.
I know this is a horrible picture of me, my face looks like a banana or a crescent moon of some sort, but I had to post this picture because it was such a good time. We had a Wii extravaganza and for any of you who haven't played the Olypmics, you are missing out! I wish we had video of this. We were running the 100 meter, but instead of running with your feet you run with your arms (obviously). It was so intense that my arms muscles are still aching.
I've had requests from out-of-state family members who want to see how baby girl is growing, hence the following pictures. The first picture was taken on October 28 and the second picture was taken on November 26. I posted both of them so you could see how much she's growing, and boy don't I know it! Putting on my shoes almost causes my eyeballs to pop out.
25 comments:
Crystal- you look so good pregnant! I hope you guys had a good thanksgiving- loved the info on sweet potatoes/yams.
You look so great! so cute, i can't wait to see baby girl. That is too funny, I am always correcting people about yams and sweet potatoes at work when i take a sweet potato for lunch, i love sweet potatoes but HATE yams! that recipe was delicious!
I feel so much smarter!!! I still have no idea if I bought sweet potato's or yams for my "Sweet Potato" Casserole. But I do know that it turned out great!!!
I love all your holiday festivities! I think I should corporate those activites into my holidays. I love bingo (and grandma's hair)!
You are looking so cute! Why does you're hair always grow so fast? Don't blame it on the baby, because it grows fast even when you're not pregnant! I miss you Crystal!!
Thank you for clearing up that misconception. I hate to admit my tuber ignorance, but I had no idea that they were different things. Crystal, you look hot. I hope to look half as stunning when I am pregnant. Glad you all had a happy Thanksgiving!
Thanks for the info....I never knew the difference i just figured there was one but not really sure why. You look wonderful by the way! I am all sorts of jealous! I am so glad Wii-lympics were awesome! Hope you got some lounging in also!
You look so good Pregnant! I'm so excited for this little girl to be here! thanks for the clarification on the yams vs. sweet potatoes, I know feel a tad bit smarter from reading your blog! :-) Hope all is well! and thanks for the congrats on my engagement! I can't wait!
p.s. I need your address for a invite
You are the cutest Prego Lady EVER!!! How are you feeling?
That info definitely cleared up some stuff for me. I knew they weren't the same thing but that just spelled it out for me. I LOVE that picture of sweet little Ruby. I gotta get Meli a dress up outfit for the holidays. My arms just hurt looking at that picture, where your arms just become so weak but you have to keep going. I can just feel the burn.
first off i had no idea about the yam and sweet potatoe thing, i was always confused though!! second is that your dog, ?Ruby...so cute! third I the the Wii Olympics, its way fun! and last you are super cute prego! it makes me miss it!
Now thats one sexy mama...at least thats what Taylor better be telling you at least once a day! In case he forgets though, there you go :) You look so cute, and have cute maternity clothes...I didn't know those existed! You gotta give me the 411 on where to stock up. I have a feeling there could be a baby #2 in our not too distant future believe it or not. But thats just between you and me, and whoever else reads your comments?!? Anyway, glad you had a good thanksgiving. I keep telling Greg we should just get a Wii and forgoe the gym memberships. Makes sense right?
I liked the pictures and yes you look very cute! Taylor sounds like Ryan when it comes to sweet potatoes and yams, that was a very good explanation of the diferences.I'm glad that you had a great holiday!
You look gorgeous!
Hahaha!! I love your crescent moon banana face! I was sitting here suppressing a laugh so as not to wake LeRand up, so you can just picture me lying here in my hugeness, a big trembling, silent mountain. Haha!! I don't get the "you're all tummy" comments anymore, not since I exploded a couple weeks ago. I knew it was coming. Bust out the belly butter. And I had to buy a bra that actually fits. Never imagined I'd have any legitimate reason to grow out of an A. Anyway, enough about my pregnant glory. Just grateful again that I can share it with you. We took some family pics at my dads over Thanksgiving, and I'll likely relent and post the least hideous one on the blog soon.
I was also wondering about your third eye in the last pic? I think people fail to mention that the pregnancy "glow" often comes in the form of a nice greasy glisten. ;)
You look great! And so does that turkey! Thanks for clearing up that whole sweet potato/yam thing. Maybe I would actually like sweet potatoes, I'll have to give them a try.
OH crap! Late on Thanksgiving eve my mother-in-law sent me to the store for some yams and now, after reading this post, I am pretty sure I brought her back sweet potatoes. Oops...she's so sweet she didn't even say anything. Crystal, you look so cute!
crystal you are adorable! only if we could all look as good....
Crystal! I was looking at Megan's blog and saw your comment. I didn't even know you were going to have a baby! I'm SOO excited for you! When are you due?
interesting...on thanksgiving i was asking the difference between a sweet potato and yam and nobody could clear it up for me like you did!
I love the prego pics! Can't wait to see you in person! Meliss said monday works for her...i'll be calling you to finalize! I can't wait!
My grocery store did it! I thought I bought Yams and they were listed as Yams, but they had pointy ends!!! AND you are Taylor have such an awesome relationship, with all his cooking skills I am sure the two of you can be found laughing in the kitchen on many occations! You look wonderful by the way, your bump is the perfect shape!
I am not surprised that the conversation that you had about yams vs. sweet potatoes took place with Mike.
The turkey Taylor made did look so yummy, and that is a great smile that he was flashing for you.
The next time you are up for a Texas sized adventure let me know there is this amazing burger place here that serves sweet potato fries and they are soooo good.
Glad that your holiday was filled with food, lounging, and some fitness too, can't beat that.
You look so great. I can't believe that you are going to have a baby girl soon, I am so excited for you, so that said I have somethings that I wanted to send to you so I will need your address...if that is alright. You can email it to me if you want lonna@mw3design.com
Thanks for the Turkey day extravaganza I think that we should all do pre and actual day feasts.
WOW! She is growing SO fast! I'm jealous! And, please be careful putting those shoes on if you are worried your eye balls might pop out! Ha Ha!
I think it's hard to say that I didn't comment on your post, when we talked extensively about it on the phone. Here're my summary notes from that conversation:
1) It turns out that you still don't know the difference between the sweet potato and the yam, despite doing the research for this post, and swearing to me that all sweet potatoes were white.
After we talked, I discovered a new wrinkle: there are purple sweet potatoes from Hawaii.
2) You look WAAYYY younger now that you are pregnant. In fact, you now look like my 11 year old sister again. I still can't put my finger on what the difference is.
3) I am leading the music in primary this week, despite not knowing how to lead, not knowing the song that they are doing, and not being involved with primary. To top it all off, I've been informed that the kids are performing in sacrament meeting the next week, and it is my duty to teach them a song (which isn't even in the hymn book).
I am of the opinion that the sweet potatoes advertised here are actually yams.
I learned recently (thanks Food Network) that sweet potatoes are the healthiest of all vegetables and yams are on the opposite end of that scale. We are glad your Thanksgiving went so well. Happy Holidays!
Crystal! I love it! Thanks so much for the lesson on Sunday, I needed the uplift! You are great!
PS: I tagged you--check my blog!
I want Taylor's sweet potato casserole recipe, I love that stuff and never can find the right recipe.
Post a Comment