Sunday, July 06, 2008

4th of July- Oberg style

We started our 4th of July Bonanza on Monday night by making our way up to Evanston (only legal fireworks, of course). We thought we'd save a little time by going over a crazy dirt road (in my little prism, no less) which was supposed to take us straight to Monte Cristo and just that much closer to the fine city of Evanston. Instead we missed a turn and ended up back in Bear Lake, where we got held up by a bunch of goats... They obviously didn't know we were kind of in a hurry, trying to make it to Jolly Jacs before it closed and that we'd already lost out on a precious 45 minutes.

Fortunately for us, we made it in time and bought lots of fireworks!
and as you can see by the look on Taylor's face, what a "blast" we had.


This year my little sister danced at the Stadium of Fire, so instead of spending our holiday listening to the musical (or not so musical) stylings of Miley Cyrus, we spent the whole time at Taylor's parent's house.

Riding horses
(he is sexy, if I do say so myself... Taylor, not the horse. Although, the horse is kind of sexy too)

I didn't so much "ride" horses per say... Rather, I sat on Traveler while he blazed his own path because he was definitely not listening to me. After about 15 minutes, he decided he was tired of lugging me around and tried to buck me off. Not so lucky for him, I stayed on.
Of course, Taylor made a magical feast of smoked animal products. I'm sure that thought makes all the vegetarians out there cringe, but it was delicious. This was my meat of choice, Taylor smoked these chickens for 6 hours and by the time we got to them, the meat was literally falling of the bone.


Fishing

Feeding the duck

Fireworks
Everyone seemed to enjoy the spoils of our adventure to Wyoming



And we capped off the weekend by spending a fabulous Saturday afternoon with my parents at the Parade of Homes and Taggart's Grill.

18 comments:

Mike and Kim said...

Ahh, the Roman Candle. Responsible for countless blindings, burns, and enjoyable evenings.

Your smoked meat looks great, but I must say that I have been craving the fried turkey with flavor injections for a few years now -- when will I get a repeat of that?

And Crystal, why are your pictures so small these days? I hate having to click on each one so that I can actually see Taylor's angry face.

Alisha said...

After your last few adventures it might be time to invest in some maps, maybe for your anniversary? But it does look like you had a great holiday.

The Sayamas said...

Wow, you guys go all out for the
4th! I want to go horse back riding so bad I decided. I have never been and I love horses. What a fun weekend!

Erin said...

Haha, I loved imagining the horse trying to buck you off! It reminds me of a horse ride in Costa Rica: it was raining, all the horses were skin and bones so I was feeling guilty for even being on one, and we were riding up to these hot pots where we would be swimming in our clothes. I think my horse was named "Relámpago" (Lightning) and I figure it was because he takes off like lightning, to hide beneath trees to get out of the rain, which he gave me a wonderful demo of. I especially enjoyed the part where he ran down a hill made of solid, slick rock and stopped my heart every time he slipped or jumped ravines. Woohoo! Great fun.

Sammy said...

That was such a great weekend! Sounds like you guys had tons of fun, you look so pretty in that last picture! and I must say, I love Taggarts, its the best! I also love the picture of you with the duck that was cracking me up, it loved you! And yes! We certainly enjoyed your fireworks, especially Erik. Good choice on the fireworks.

April said...

Are those Roman candles I see in those pictures Crystal? I'm pretty sure those aren't legal :) You guys had quite the 4th, complete with magical feast and everything! It looks like quite the good time!

Melissa said...

Crystal...I've decided that you really are the party! Every where you go...there is always tons of fun to be had!

Are those Oberg's horses? That looks super fun. I would have died laughing watching that horse try to buck you off. How scarry!

Glad ya had such a great 4th of July!

Did you go through the Parade of Homes with your parents or just meet them for dinner? Sounds fun! AND...you are such a babe in all of your pictures! Can you please quit DH and do hair! You would be fantastic!

Melissa said...

Crystal - how do you look like a super model all the time? Seriously I don't think you can take a bad pic! What an adventurous weekend - I would love to try the smoked chicken, sounds yummy!

Steven and Megan said...

I am taking Steve horseback riding soon and i am oh so excited!! And its true.. you do look like a super-model all the time! I'm glad you guys had a fun Holiday!

Donene said...

What a fun 4th of July and yes I agree Taylor is a great cook, especially of meat. Mel is going to compete in a triathilon and I told her she needs to get some pointers from you.

hoLLY said...

you are so cute in all your pics! I just love the hair, you make me want to go blonde! what a fun 4th of july !

hoLLY said...

oh and Hanna is due 8/8/08 cool huh! she is having a little girl.

Emily said...

I literally crack up when I read your blog!! I always look forward to them! I just love the 4th...good times! Oh and by the way....a S.E.R.E. instructor is part of the air force. It is like the special forces. There are not to many if these guys because it is such a specialized position. Kinda cool....

Monica said...

You really know how to do the 4th! It was an action packed week!
Does Taylor's parents have horses? I must say YOU look good on that horse! :)

I'm glad you had a good firework show and didn't get caught with anything illegal!

rupee40 said...

Sounds like a great 4th! Jeff would be so jealous of the fireworks...Taylor might remember what a pyro he is!! I must say I am impressed with Taylors cooking skills, that meat looks delicious.

Jena Hendry said...

This world really is too small!! That is so funny you sat right next to my family. Looks like you have been having a great summer!

cheeks said...

how fun was your 4th of july!?!? You guys are straight from the country...horses, ducks, fishing, smokin' meat and illegal fireworks (or are you rednecks?)! You guys went all out! I love all those things!

OHHH! TAggarts! I love that place! Did you get the ham and apple wrap? If not you missed out!

Grandma and Grandpa Mac said...

The horses look fun, the chicken looks luscious and because you mentioned Taggart's we went again and took my parents this time. They really enjoyed it. Thanks for reminding us of it.

BTW, Alisha and Cory come up here from Pleasant Grove tonight and Kimberly and family arrive late tonight (you probably know that already). Hope you can see them and Steven while they're here.