Tuesday, April 08, 2008
Something New
So I've been wanting to update, but I just don't have anything exciting to post. I mean, we did meet up with Taylor's mission friend for a fun Friday night. I did go to Chelsey's dance competition on Saturday. We did spend Conference weekend at our parent's houses. And Chelsey and I did play a duet at her piano recital yesterday, but do you think I took any pictures??...no. Anyway, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I do have something exciting coming up in my life... a Mini Triathalon! A few weeks ago my exercise friend Amy mentioned that USU was holding a mini triathalon at the end of April. It's a 300 meter swim, 4 mile bike and 2 mile run. After talking about how doable it sounded and how awesome we would be if we actually did it, we decided that it sounded like a good idea. We've already been spinning 3 days a week since January, so we added on a 2 mile run to the end of our spin classes and recently we've added swimming in place of our weight lifting classes. The thing I'm most concerned about is the wet clothes situation. I'm a little worried about riding my bike and running with a wet swim suit on... talk about chafe-age! Not to mention that it's on April 26th at 10 am and typically by that time of the day it's only about 30 degrees. Anyway this is my first endeavor in anything like this so I'm a little nervous. I'm just hoping I can cross the finish line. If anyone has done a triathalon and has tips, please let me know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
WooHOoo, this is awesome, you can totally do this, you are tough, spinning is HARD work! I am excited to hear about it (although you may freeze...burrr) I kept thinking you were going to say you were pregnant :o)
hahah! No, I'm not ready to join that club yet.
That is so exciting! Good job, thats a lot more than I can say for me! That will be so fun, good luck! that is hard work. Let us know where it is and we'll be there waiting with Taylor at the finish line! GO CRYSTAL!!!
Go Crystal! I'm so excited for you, I love challenges like that. I'm sure you'll do awesome. Make sure you take lots of pictures for us.
I have no advice, the closest I have come to a triathlon is watching the contestants on Biggest Loser. The wet suit is a big problem though. I'll continue thinking what could solve that problem.
I really am planning on cheering you on unless I'm busy working on the yard or unpacking.
Also, it is suppose to get up to 70 degrees up here so relax we have some hope it might not be TOO freezing! *fingers crossed*
You're a true inspiration! I am amazed with your conquer anything attitude. You will do great! I only wish you lived closer so you could get me to do a little exercise! Good luck with the training...and the cleavage! ;)
WOW! I think a triatholon would be so hard, but can you imagine the sense of accomplishment at the end? I think you'd do great!
crystal that sounds so fun! I am going to be up for that maybe i will look into it! Not sure if I would be ready for it.:)Anyways sounds awesome!
I am so excited that you are going to try this, there are some people here at work that have done these before I will have to ask them what they wear. I saw a picture of a girl who won last year and it looked like she was wearing a wet suit, spandex like thing. Any way way to go!!
What a great idea. It sounds like you're off to a good start with your training. You asked for tips, I have met and spent about an hour talking to the great triathlete Mark Allen. He's won the Hawaii Ironman too many times to count. Google him and see what you can learn. He says mental preparation is just as important as physical. Meditate and visualize each part of the race everyday. See yourself completing the swim, bike and run. When race day comes your body will remember what it's been doing in your mind and make it happen. When physical training and mental training met, miracles happen. I know you'll do fine.
Now that is something to brag about! First off let me say that if you are really doing all that stuff in the gym then the actual race is going to be cake. There is a huge difference between running a tread mill, swimming laps, and cycling stationary vs. doing them outdoors. There is nothing to be nervous about. You will do great. Just stay positive, and focus on your breathing patterns and before you know it you will find an extra burst of energy to sprint like crazy across the finish.
This is so exciting I wish that I could be there. I can't wait to hear all about it. I have had my fair share of sports injuries, so let me know if you have any specific questions.
Hahaha!! It sounded awesome 'til the whole wet swimsuit part. You will go up a notch in coolness for completing this triathalon. Wow. I think I'd start it then I'd quit like a big pansy. But hey, I've had a kid so maybe I'd make it further than I think I would. Actually, having the baby was the easy part, the recovery is what makes me shudder. Good thing he's cute. It was great talking to you the other day! We should go to evergreen with the hubbies just to give them something to complain about, hahaha!
I don't know if I would have announced this until I completed it, Now you can't back out or we'll all know what a wuss you are.
I sent along some articles from John that should be helpful. I would definitely look into the chafing issue -- when I first saw people's nipples bleeding at a marathon I realized I could never involve myself in such an activity.
Mike that is exactly why I announced it. Now there's no way that I would back out. I think the only thing that would stop me from crossing the finish line is if I have a heart attack and die in the process...cross your fingers that won't happen.
Way to go! That is so awesome, I really am impressed. You'll do a great job! You will have to let us all know how it goes. I hope it warms up some before then or you might be swimming in ice water. Good luck!
Triatholon? I think I would kill over for sure. I played basketball the other night and was hacking up a lung for an hour after...and I only played for six minutes! I did make a 3 though...
Hey thanks for your prayers and kind words. It means alot to have so much goof friends through times like this. You are one o' the best, Crystalation!
Yeah for you Crystal! I have yet to complete my first trr-May 10th. From what I've heard, you need to get some triathlon specific bike shorts(any brand)and you wear those the whole time. Then you don't have to worry about chafing. I also recommend a wetsuit-or that's what I've been told. So during your transitions, you can add clothes if you need to. Also, have a pair of socks in each of your shoes (bike and running), so your feet stay dry.
You are going to do great. I can't wait to hear all about it. You need to give me some pointers!
PS: Want to sign up for the Kokopelli Tri in St. George on Sept. 20th? I'm there!
I am so proud of you! That is awesome. You will have to take pics so we can all see your accomplishment!
Holy Super Woman!!! I'm impressed already and you haven't even done it! Can't wait to hear how it goes. :) A little worried about any pictures of the chaffing you might post though...
Post a Comment