Wednesday, March 05, 2008

What The??

Some bad news for all of you who remember our cactus Franklin. He is in the process of passing away as we speak. About a week ago his trunk started turning brown and mushy, which has now spread to almost all of his limbs. I can't possibly imagine what went wrong. We moved him inside for the winter and watered him occasionally.... how irresponsible would we have to be to actually kill a cactus? I hope this is not any indication of how we'll be as parents. I was contemplating that fact that we'd actually killed one of the most hardy plants on the planet and a comedian came to mind. Demetri Martin has a joke about cacti that goes a little something like this:

"About a month ago I got a cactus, and a week later it died, and I got really depressed because I was like "damn" I am less nurturing than a desert."

On a side note, Demetri is hilarious, check him out here

Anyway, I just want Franklin to know that I'm sorry we failed him. We had a good time with him, he was a great friend/houseplant. RIP Franklin. I didn't think it would do him justice to post a picture of him on death's doorstep, so this is a picture of Franklin in all his glory about 6 months ago.

21 comments:

Sammy said...

Poor Franklin. I have to agree with you I love Demetri Martin, he is so hilarious, a bunch of my friends when I lived in California had him on dvd, and we watched it constantly. I'm sorry about Franklin, and don't worry, it is no reflection on how you'll be as parents!

Carolee said...

LOVED the joke!! And don't worry I have killed every plant Jared has ever given me....so there is hope for you guys as parents. Jared keeps giving me plants for Valentines, Mother's Day, etc. saying this is much better than flowers that just die. But, alas not for me!! The plants just die also. :)

Alisha said...

Poor Franklin, Logan winters get the best of you. But as a parent I am always shocked on how little they can survive on. Some days Noel will only eat oatmeal.

Monica said...

My respects go out to Franklin. I'm sure he lived a good life.... It was just his time to go....

I loved the joke too...I can't take care of anything other than kids! No pets or plants. One at a time...

Lonna said...

You should not feel too bad for Frankiln shriveling up, you know that your climate is totally different than what he would normally be used to. Hello you are living in a constant snow storm. I think that you will be great parents...not to mention how amazing your kids will look.

Brian Arnold said...

Hey You!!! This is Emily Arnold(aka Emily Pitcher). I found your blog through the Boswells. I dont think I have seen you in like years!!! You look so dang cute and skinny! I am jealous... I am like eight months prego and feel like a whale! How is life? I would love to hear from you!

Mary Ann said...

I send you my warmest regards and hope you make it through this trying time! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Hey I found Emily's blog she does look so cute! Thats funny about Jeff McKay and high school. Looking back I just can't believe how insecure I was, not fun!! But I do have to admit there were some pretty good times too. Your cactus looks like it was his time to go, that is funny that you named it!

Erica said...

Poor, poor Franklin(reminds me of the turtle!) No wonder you were desperate to name the plant we like at work...to fill the void. Don't worry its only because NOTHING can live through the winters in Logan. We barely did and we had full nourishment.

cheeks said...

hey friend, so sorry to hear about Franklin...i just think it was his time to go!

So, now that there's no plant to nurture....maybe a baby?!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about Franklin. I send my Condolences!

shauni said...

That cracks me up! I was hoping that you'd post a picture of brown, dying Franklin (morbid, I know, but I am just curious what he looks like). I am sure you will be wonderful parents, just cactus-less

Mike and Kim said...

"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."

---Demetri Martin

Brian Arnold said...

Well now you are my best friend!!! Anyone that says I am not a whale is pretty much the best ever!!! But yes, we are coming back to good ol' Utah. I have the baby April 3rd then Brian graduates may 10th. Then we will come back and he will study for the bar and take that the end of July. Then we will probably move somewhere in south salt lake. Not sure yet... Luckily he has a job so we are grateful for that. Lets for sure keep in touch! I want to know whats going on with you...who do you still keep in touch with?

Jenni said...

Hey Crystal, sorry about the cactus, but don't worry.... you're not as much of a failure as I am.... We lived in a ladies house while she was on her misssion and took care of her house and unfortunately "took care" of her plants as well. She had several cactus-- two of them were over 5 feet tall. She had two sun rooms filled with all sorts of plants. Unfortunately, when we moved out of the house a couple months ago.... pretty much all the plants were dead. I was hoping she wouldn't notice, but it's going to be hard not to notice two 6 foot cactuses missing from her house......

I am Chree-uz. said...

I was unaware of Franklin the Cactus. It is a sad time for his passing, nonetheless.

Also, congrats on the wart action! Keep up the good fight! HAha

haley said...

wow! This is Haley, aka Haley Bruce. What a small world. I was looking at my cousin Sammy's blog and of course cousin Jaclyn, and noticed they both had your name, so curiousity got the best of me. Anyway, you look beautiful, as always.

Natlee Lloyd said...

Don't worry kids are more resilient than a desert plant:) I need you to call me or text me your number as I have lost my phone and all my contacts! Also did you ever get your sonicare you ordered at UDA. I'm still waiting?

Melissa said...

You are such a good writer! I totally enjoy your blog...even if it is reading about Franklin's passing.

I'm with Jami...now that you don't have to take care of the cactus...maybe a baby?!?

Anonymous said...

What Franklin? Is there nothing you can do? Fertilize? So sad. Now you need a dog! Ha!

Melissa said...

Hey, remeber me from hygiene school? It's melissa. Still here in Phoenix, but only until June!! Terry graduates June 6 then we are outta here. Don't feel to bad about Franklin. That's what happens to all the "cacti" out here. They get all black and mushy, then collapse under their own weight. And don't feel bad about your car either! She looks like a real trooper. I'm really glad you didn't get hurt, but at least you still had a car to drive. Our car got stolen Christmas of 2006, so Terry had to hoof it for a few weeks until they miracaloulsy found it. But then we sold it and got a new one (I feel like such a traitor...). Hope you are doing good. I'm going to have a little one in September - I'm 12 weeks along. It's crazy!!