Despite the near-death experience, I had a great weekend. Thanks mom and Dad for feeding me, being my Valentines, taking me out for lunch and dinners, going to the movies with us, and letting me stay at your house.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
It's good to be alive
The plan was to have a nice drive down to my parent's house on Wednesday afternoon, stay the night and then attend the Utah Dental Convention in Salt Lake on Thursday and Friday. Apparently fate had a different plan. It just so happened that northern Utah was blasted with one of the worst storms on record, starting at 11:00 am on Wednesday. By the time I left work and was heading south the roads had turned treacherous. I was not too concerned since I'm sometimes overly confident in my driving skills, especially in the snow, and because my car is a champion in bad road conditions. I made it through Logan before they closed most of the roads and came out unscathed from Sardine Canyon. At that point I thought I was home free, I just needed to get on the freeway and head for Layton....wrong. Unfortunately they had closed southbound I-15 due to terrible road conditions. The police were turning everyone around at the entrance in Brigham City. As I took my turn flipping a U-turn, the 18-wheeler (aka giant Semi) behind me hit a patch of ice and slid into my driver's side door. I feel lucky to have walked away unhurt and with only minor damages to my poor little Prism.

I continued on with my incredible journey and ended up in Layton 3 hours after I left Logan. It was a seriously long day. The next morning I went down to the convention with Melissa where we had an awesome time learning about the need for better posture and how we just had to buy Loupes (i.e. googly magnification glasses) if we wanted to be good clinicians.... On Friday I went down with my Mom, Dad and his staff and learned, or rather RE-learned the etiology of dental caries from sweet, little old Esther Wilkins. Any hygienist out there will know exactly who I'm talking about. As I'm sure you've gathered, the classes were a slightly sub-par this year, however the company, as always, was fantastic (we missed you Jami!)
I got to see my friends Kaitlin and Robyn this weekend and we had a good time eating Taco Maker and watching the funniest little 2 year olds ever! In the picture I'm holding Robyn's little girl Brighton and Kaitlin is with her little girl Marlee.
On Saturday I helped Chelsey get ready for the Sweetheart's dance. I must have done an alright job because she looked gorgeous, although she doesn't need any help with that, I think she's got the beautiful part down all on her own.

Chelsey and her friend Amanda


We finished off the weekend by going to the Banff Mountain Film Festival. Every year we go and hope that our number gets called for one of the awesome prize give-aways, but it never does. However, this year Taylor leaned over to me and said, "I'm feeling it this year, I'm going to win something". Next thing I know they're calling out his number for a Patagonia pullover. It was seriously awesome even though it was a medium and the sleeves are about 3 inches too short. Oh well, I'm sure his dad will get good use of it. The best part was the thrill of one of us finally winning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
24 comments:
I am glad that you are okay, but it is a bummer about your car. It looks like you had a good Valentines even without Taylor (I am assuming he didn't go to the convention).
I like how this morning when Wendy mentioned the roads on Wednesday you failed to mention your near death experience. UDA, psshhhh, I'm glad I didn't have to go. Are you going to purchase some loupes(sp?)? Are you practicing better posture? I'd hate to see your back give out at such a young age...but from the looks of it, you're doing ok from what I see.
Congrats on winning something. Even if it doesn't work the real prize is the glory of winning anything in the first place!
Oh I can't even remember the last time the closed down I-15. That really must have been some storm. I am so glad that you are alright. I think that car accidents are scary enough, but the fact that you were hit by a semi, I would have been terrified.
I am glad to hear that you were able to have a good time with your family(I hear that the Frost's are pretty fun) And then to top it all off be a winner of a new pullover, nice work. It seems you had quite a weekend.
With all that hair Taylor reminds me of Sabertooth (Wolverine's nemesis -- I sure wish Blogger would let us post pictures in the comments. Google it.)
Sorry about your car, but I'm glad you're ok. Don't forget to follow up with Janice.
Chelsey's hair looked nice, and I liked her black dress, but I think someone forgot to sew the sleeves on. Better not let Josh see those pictures (hah.)
And I can't figure out how I was supposed to "gather" from your description that the classes at the dental convention were sub-par. What would have made them better? Since I've never been to a dental convention I can only assume that it is like a car show, so I'm picturing women in swim suits modeling new dental drills. Sounds like fun to me, although I can see how you wouldn't really enjoy it.
p.s. Taylor, don't you think that Patagonia sweater would fit me like a champ? It sure gets cold out here...
Mike, of course I know who Sabertooth is, no need to google it. I can conjure up the image in my mind right now from the awesome cartoons back in the day. I agree with you, definitely a sabertooth look alike. Actually someone at church yesterday told me that he likes when Taylor grew out his beard because he looks like a lion... hahah
So, speaking of look alikes, how'd you get Daniele Hirsch from Color Splash (HGTV) to visit with her two year old, and Taylor Swift to let you help her get ready for the dance and Leanne Rimes to go to the dance with her? We know, most of you don't like country music but that's too bad, that's who they look like and it's a compliment.
We glad you're safe and had a good time.
Stay warm in Logan.
I'm glad you're okay and you survived to see the dental convention. It sounds like you had a fun weekend. Chelsey looks gorgeous, you did a great job.
Thanks so much for letting me tag along at UDA! As you can tell I don't get much adult interaction on a daily basis:)
I am also glad you are ok- I can't believe that crazy Utah weather! The dental convention sounded like a whole lot of fun- kinda like being 9 months prego and ready to pop! JK - You have some good hair-doing skills and definitely looked like you were posing for "People" in the pic of you and Chelsey! Hey maybe you'll make the Daily 10...You go GIRL!
Hearing the story of the semi again gets me all upset. You definitely had an angel on your shoulder that day--and as always, we had a great time with you here. We have so much fun and laughs when we spend time together. (and you forgot about the awesome shopping spree you and I had) But the best part about the whole weekend is the book you brought down for me to read (Twilight). I have got to find someone with the 2nd book--I'm obsessed. And thanks for helping Chelsey--she looked gorgeous as well as you. Love you girlie. . .
I bet that was so scary!!! I am so glad you made out alive!
I'm also so sad I missed you at UDA! I wanted to be there, but trust me.... you didn't want to get the nasty virus I had. Just tell me it won't be a whole year until I see you next!
OH wow!! you got hit by a semi and continued driving, that is amazing!! I wish I could have been in your company at the convention even though the classes so sound rather drab. I think taylor has ESP or something, and even though it didnt fit it is ALWAYS fun to win something free. and Chelsey looks gorgeous, you both are just so beautiful, I am glad I don't have to be seen with you too often!
My Gosh! I'm glad you are okay! Nothing is worse than a car accident. At least it doesn't look like the damage was too horrible. I wish I could be around for you to do my hair still. You definitely have a "touch"! :)
Wow, scary. I am so glad you are ok. That drive from Logan can be stressful at times even with mad driving skills (I think I am a great driver, too). Congrats on the winnings. Its always fun to win, no matter what the prize is!
Crystal...Sounds like it was eventful! I'm so behind on your blog...I was trying to keep caught up w/ everyone, and Rick-the great helper he was, changed my layout, and deleted my "fellow bloggers" template, so I have no links until I change it back, or add them back in! In the mean time, what is your e-mail address??? I always want to reply to your comments on my blog, and can't due to the missing e-mail. I'm so sad I missed seeing you at convention!!!
Yikes! We are glad you are okay! Boy that really makes me miss all that cold weather (hee,hee...it is like 65 today)!! I like Taylor as a lion!
Crystal! You are so great!! I smile just thinking about you. Thanks for the party at convention! I'm glad that we got to spend the day together. The picture of us makes me laugh! (refer to my text message)
You'll have to let me know how the whole insurance thing worked out with your car! :(
OH MY...i almost didn't recognize taylor in his mountain man scruff!! ha ha
OH! I sure missed convention this year, well not the meetings because they're always a bore, but i missed being with my girls! You two are so cute...crystal your boobs look so perky in that pic of you and meliss. Uh, can i talk about boobs on your blog, is that ok?!
So are you getting loupes? I still want them...i think it would heal my back issues. I have a funny picture of you getting measured for loupes, was that just last year or while we were in school...time is flying by! It was so good to talk to you...i'm glad mr semi driver didn't hurt you, only the old reliable car.
Your sister is so cute...are we ever going to hook her up with kolby?!
Crystal!! I am so glad you are okay. Wow, you are lucky. I hate driving in snow. But I am glad you ended up having a great weekend!
I am reminded of that one storm when we were all in Kelsi's Yukon and coming back from the smelly VA and it took us 4 hours to get from the VA to South Ogden Albertsons! I remember your dance around the car....GOOD TIMES! I am so glad you liked Ester--I just could not do it.
Goodness, I am always so intimidated to comment on your humungous blog. What could a lowly soul such as I add to the myriag of others??
Anyway, Sorry bout your accident! I HATE HATE HATE snow for that reason. Scary.
But you's tuff, nuff said!
Wow, that was quite the weekend! I'm sorry about your accident! I didn't even know until I read about it on here or I would've asked you about it at Banff! that is scary! I'm glad your alright.
We do have the same template! I think she needs to update her little blog and get some more ideas!!!! Or, I guess I could figure out how to do it myself.
I'm calling you soon and I'm planning this little lunch date because IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!!!! I'm sick of always 'talking' about it! Expect it.... :)
Post a Comment