Friday, November 30, 2007

What does Thanksgiving, Elk Heads and Christmas Decorations have in common?...

Nothing, but those are the pictures that I have decided to post together so here they are. Thanksgiving was at my parent's house this year. Wednesday the girls got together for our annual Pie Day. However, when I say "girls" I really mean only me, Chelsey and my mom. The sister-in-laws were either out of state, at home with napping babies or overwhelmed with kids who didn't do their chores. So although over half of our Pie Day participants were gone we still ended up with 9 fantastic pies on Thanksgiving.


I really did a terrible job documenting Thanksgiving because these are the only two pictures I got of the whole event. No smoked turkey pictures, no beautiful table pictures, no food pictures, no Bingo pictures, no pie pictures, nothing... This year my mom fed about 25 people, grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, kids, babies, etc... My mom did a incredible job with all the food (as always) and I'm really just hoping she never passes on the responsibility of Thanksgiving dinner to me, There's no way I'll live up to the standards of "mom's cooking"


In other news we got Taylor's elk mount back and for those of you who are not up on your 'mounting terms', he had it done European style. This means that it is just the skull and the antlers or horns or whatever they're called. Personally I think it's more freaky than a regular shoulder mount (fur, face, eyeballs) but way cheaper and doesn't take up as much space.

Remember how I said he wasn't going to hang up his mount until we moved into a house with a man's room, well now you see who really wears the pants in our family.

And in final news, we actually broke down and bought a christmas tree this year. The first two years we used a small alpine tree from my mom's house and last year we didn't put up any tree since we were moving two days after Christmas and packing up all our stuff. So, finally this year I told Taylor I wanted a real (artificial) tree of my very own. We went to Wal Mart and picked up a 7ft Douglas Fir with white lights. However, when we got it home and set the whole thing up we realized that the tree actually had circus-colored lights and not the white lights that the the beautiful tree in the picture on the box promised. So we took it down, stuffed it back in the tiny box it came in and hauled it all the way back to Wal Mart to exchange it for a tree with actual white lights. The hassle of the whole thing was worth it because look how great it turned out.

19 comments:

cheeks said...

i figured that mount might be on your wall sooner than you thought it would....i just has to! Taylor needs to show it off, right?!?!?

I love that you make pies w/ your mom! What a fun tradition! Glad you had a good THanksgiving! You lil sis is a cutie! Remember when we were going to line up her and Kolby? That might be a little hard now that i'm clear out here!

We come on the 11th! YAY! We still need to set a date...Costa Vida is calling my name!

cheeks said...

PS...even though it was a hassle...i'm loving the tree! Aren't you glad you got one! I can't believe you went 2 years without!

Monica said...

Try not to snag anything on those antlers! They are huge! I think it's a little creeping when you do a 'shoulder' mount because I always feel like the elk is watching me!

Your tree is so beautiful! I'm a white light person too. And I love seeing pictures of your family at thanksgiving. I love getting together with 'just the girls'-but I also have 4 sisters.

If you ever make it out to Oregon, my mom has lots of extra room! I'm going back in June to make Oregon raspberry freezer jam. Open invitation!

Sammy said...

FUN! look how cute the tree looks! I'm glad that you got one, I talked Erik into letting me have a real live tree at least one more year. I just can't do the artificial ones. Its not in my blood!
My parents probably won't ever get a fake one. but yes it looks great as well as the antler things! How exciting! I just can't wait for that!
Sounds like Thanksgiving was great, I didn't even see you guys!
Well, hopefully we'll see ya soon!

Mary Ann said...

I thought of you on pie day! I love that tradition. Your tree is beautiful. I like the elk. It will look great in a man's room. I have seen 100s of men's rooms and those antlers will be a great begining to years of hunting and reaping!

Colby said...

Crystal, I also had a sad pie day- I was the only participant! But hey, I still kept up the Frost family tradition. I'm not going to lie, I think Taylor's elk is kind of creepy- but cool in a very male way. We missed you guys on Thanksgiving, it looks like you had a great time. I would love to host anytime, anyone who is up to traveling to Iowa!

Shauni

Mike and Kim said...

When I think of "European Style" I usually think of techno, bad teeth and good cheese, not grinning skulls of death.

That's pretty bad A.


By the way, how come when I click on your pictures to get a better view they have to open in an external viewer? They're supposed to just open in the browser.

Melissa said...

You look so cute making pies! Like a glam-homemaker! Your mom is so cute! Looks like you had a great time together.

Yay for Taylor getting his mount on the wall! I'm sure he is so proud. I don't know which I would like better...the skull or the fur and creepy eyeballs. I hope I don't ever have to make that decision. :)

Your Christmas tree looks fantastic. It looks like a perfect size and something that you will have forever! I would love to have a fake tree...but it's just not in the Wolthuis blood. We will be having our annual tree event with his whole family on Monday night. We all go together and get our trees. Can you say FUN!

Lets plan on getting together when Jami gets here! Make sure that you have a free night for us.

BreAnna said...

your christmas tree is gorgeous, you did a great job! you also look so cute in your apron my pie day, what a fun tradition, and I love your hair too!

Lonna said...

Nine pies is a lot. How long does it take to make that many? I do love your tree. And funny enough the same thing happened to us when we got our tree out here. That is kind of strange, maybe the person that packs the trees is color blind.

Isn't there something so exciting and mesmerizing about the lit Christmas tree at night. Oh how I love the Christmas season.
Your hair looks great in your baking pic.

rupee40 said...

Pie night sound like a lot of fun! We might have to start up that tradition. We had 4 pies for 4 people, but I cant really take any of the credit for making them. Looks like you had a good Turkey Day.
Your tree looks great. We dont have a tree this year either. Its not quite the same without one. Next year I will have to break down and buy one. Very festive!

Erica said...

European is much better than I thought it was. If and when Daren ever gets one I wouldn't mind it AS much, there are no eyes to stare me down. It takes up less room.

I like your sister's hair dark. You two are twinners. I love pie!

Your Christmas tree is leaps and bounds better than ours. I'll have to see it in person. Nothing beats a lit up Christmas tree, its beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Sammy's. It is so cute!!! If you want to look at mine it is utahkingfam.blogspot.com. It is so weird you and Sammy are related, what a small world.

Jaclyn

kelsi said...

i love your christmas tree. you also look super cute in your apron making pies. also i still owe you some dip. maybe after finals...

Jena Hendry said...

Crystal!!! I was so excited to hear from you! I am putting your link on my webpage so I can always look at your blog and keep myself posted!! Anyway, looks like you are doing great and loving life :)

Mary Ann said...

I am a HUGE Heroes fan! I missed the first few minutes of the finale. There is a new station on dish and direct tv called G4 which replays episodes of Heroes on Fri night about 7 or 8 pm. So if you have access to it check it out and email me....

BreAnna said...

Ok, so this is my plug for hygiene, I didn't want to brag on my blog, but as much fun as other jobs seem at times, I am never upset that I get every weekend, friday night, every night,and holiday, off!! I love that part (well, I love lots of parts, but this one is a really good one) I am often at dinner with Bryan and will say when the waitress leaves "I am so glad I am out of that stage" meaning no one but me gets to call or make my schedule anymore, I am the boss of me!!! MOOWAAAAAHHA!!! (evil hygienist taking over the world laugh)

Kami said...

Crystal,

How fun, it looks like you are really enjoying the holidays. You will have to let me know if you come to my pat of town again so that I can clean your teeth. Btw, you have inspired me to put up my tree. I kinda didn't want to worry about it this year.

Anonymous said...

Ah, sorry i have been out of the blog reel. You are looking just as cute as ever!! Thanks for your comments. No, that is my Aunt in the picture with me. I am the only girl, i have 3 brothers. Do we really look the same? i wish i had sisters...

Lets get together! We need to plan a hygiene get together!!