Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A bum ankle

I've really been trying to stick to my exercise routine lately so that I could be in peak physical condition for all of my summer activities. Lately I've been doing toning and step classes at the Rec Center and have really enjoyed them, until last night. I am going to preface this story with another story: my junior year in high school, I was playing outside line-backer on our powder puff team against the seniors. Everything was all fun and games until....POP! I completely rolled my ankle with an accompanying popping sound and instantly it was the size of a baseball. Since that day I have twisted both ankles so many times that now I can hardly walk around, even in flip-flops, without rolling my ankles for no apparent reason. Fastforward to last night when my instructor kept yelling for us to "pump up the energy" in my step class. I had finally gotten past the "I don't want to be here phase" and into the "I'm going to exercise my booty off (literally)" phase. Just as I was bouncing off my step in a powerful 3-knee repeater, I came down on an ankle that totally gave out on me with a sickening snap. I totally fell on the floor (in front of the entire class...) but tried to get up as fast as I can and back in step with everyone else, however I couldn't put any pressure on my right foot. So, I hobbled out into the hall, sat on the bench and took my shoe off. Not to my surprise, my ankle was yet again the size of a baseball. I sat there for a minute in pain and humiliation, trying to tell myself that I was going to go back in there and finish my class, dangit! But instead, when I stood up on it, I knew there was no going back. When I got home Taylor forced me to put my ankle in a big bucket of ice water for what seemed like an eternity (more like 10 minutes). I will admit that I was mad that he made me do it, but today, thanks to him, it is feeling much better, at least I can walk down the stairs without grabbing onto the walls.

These pictures are for you Colb. I want you to diagnose me and tell me the best plan of action to get back into my exercise routine. P.S. My ankles are definitely not my best features, nor do I suffer from the delusion that they look good at all in these pictures, but I just had to post them to get a little sympathy. Plus, doesn't it look like I have elephantitis!



Normal (somewhat) Left Ankle


Not-so-normal elephant ankle



Not a Happy Camper!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh.. Ouch!!! Have you gone to the doctor yet? Isn't it always the case when you are doing something good and positive in your life, something like this has to happen, just for fun. Ie...running=gallbadder taken out! HA!

I hope that it gets better! You look great though!! :) Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Crystal--your ankle looks awful--I thought it was Taylor's ankle!!!(Not that anything is wrong with Taylor's ankle, but it was so swollen--I'm getting in deeper here aren't I!!?!!)I hope it gets better quick--take it easy though for a while. Love you girl

Jami said...

Crystal!! You poor thing...ankles are the worst! I am terribly sorry. Brett put a bag of frozen peas on a wound of mine once and i about shot him...i didn't care if it was helping, it was too da*% cold! I'm impressed you survived 10 minutes. Get better ASAP...we're planning a shooting date! Get your bananas ready!

shauni said...

Ouch! Your ankle looks so sore! I'm so sorry, I hate it when something throws off your exercise routine. I've been trying to move my running outside and it keeps raining. (definitely not nearly as bad as a huge, swollen ankle- but I can sympathize) Colby's not quite ready to diagnose your ankle, but he could give you a breast exam, eye exam or check your blood pressure. Good luck, hope it gets better soon!

Mike and Kim said...

That's the reason I don't work out. Ok, that's not true the reason I don't work out is because my wrestling sinklet doesn't fit anymore and I have nothing else to wear.

P.S. I wouldn't let Colby give you a breast exam.

Lonna said...

Crystal, I have to say that you have my sympathy for sure, I too have rolled my fair share of ankles. I rolled my ankle at state cross country and had a concert later that night so I HAD to walk, I placed a bunch of ice in a large zip lock bag and saran wrapped it around my ankle. That way you are not wet, and can still get around. Its not glamorous by any means, but sure does the trick. I do hope that you have a speedy recovery, oh and kudos to you for doing the step classes.

Mary Ann said...

OUCH! I am so sorry for your pain! But I do have to say...your butt is already gone! I hope your get better soon so your summer plans are not ruined!

Kami said...

So funny, while I sympathize with your pain, I love the way you told the story. I can just see you in exercise class before and after the pop. Now I want to know how this is going to impact your exercise routines and your summer plans.

How do you always manage to have your hair look so great. I want to do that. Perhaps I just don't take the time.