Monday, July 07, 2014

May 2014- Oregon Coast

Taylor's parents took us 
on an amazing vacation to the Oregon coast in May.

This is a trip that Taylor's family has done quite a bit 
over the years,
but the first time they've gone
since I became an Oberg.
So our vacation was full of good memories,
especially when we stopped at the playground 
outside of Burns,
and it was just as scary and unsafe 
as Taylor remembered it.


We then spent a harrowing day in the car,
 stuck in traffic jams and rainstorms.


But that 15-hour drive was totally worth it
when we showed up at our beach house
and this backyard was here to greet us.
(yes, 
that's the pacific ocean 
on the other side of that grassy knoll)

The first day 
we hit up Craig's favorite agate-finding spot, 
Strawberry Hill.

We found a lot more than just agates,

although, 
there was plenty of that to be had too.

We stopped at Cook's Chasm,

and the Devil's Churn,

before taking the party back to our own amazing beach,
5 steps out our back door.



The next day we hit up Yaquina Lighthouse,

The Devil's Punchbowl,

and after being subjected 
to some serious elements on beach,
the girls decided to spend the rest of our afternoon at Mo's 
enjoying a light snack....
or a chili cheese dog platter as big as my face.

After filling our bellies,
we stopped at Depoe Bay
where we shopped for 
salt water taffy, souvenirs, and caramel corn.
This is also where we discovered 
that Hazel could communicate with seagulls.

That night, 
after the girls were in bed,
I went with Craig and Taylor 
on my first crabbing expedition.

I wish I could say that I was as brave as Taylor and held a crab long enough to take a picture.
I wasn't
Surprisingly,
crabs reminded me way too much of giant spiders
and sent me into a girly, screaming, fit.

On Wednesday,
we made the scenic drive to Tillamook,
where we stopped at a roadside stand
and ate our heart's content of strawberries.
I also found a place that filled my soul with happiness,
and in another life,
would love to work at that roadside stand
making pastries,
and growing a garden.


When in Oregon,
you have to go to Cheese Mecca:
Tillamook.
I might be a little embarrassed to say 
that I almost cried when we pulled in to the parking lot.
Yeah, I was that excited.

We could hardly pry hazel away from the gift shop,

but finally got her 
with the promise of icecream.

We stopped at another lighthouse and the octopus tree on the way back to our beach house.


Later that night, 
we decided that the girls might enjoy a little crabbing too

and they did,
almost as much as their mother
(cue more girly screaming).

Our final day along the coast
was spent at the Newport Aquarium





watching the fishing boats bring in their catch,

and more crabbing.
(we were determined to eat fresh crab
and after a change in crabbing location,
we were successful)

after which,
Taylor and I spent the evening walking along the beach.

On our drive home
we stopped at the beautiful Multnomah Falls

and the Bonneville Fish Hatchery


Before subjecting ourselves to the grueling drive home
through barren Idaho,
on my 30th birthday
no less.

All in all,
I couldn't have asked for a better 
birthday present/graduation trip!
Thank you to Taylor's parents for making it happen
and giving us the memories for a lifetime.

No comments: