Thursday, June 28, 2012

To "h" Or Not To "h"

(Please ignore all of the highlighted text in this post.
I don't know how to make it go away)

As you may know,
Taylor and I did not have a name picked out for our sweet baby.

We had talked about the Norah,
we both liked the name Norah,
but we were not set on the name Norah.

Then my water broke,
and we went to the hospital.
Between contractions,
I asked Taylor what we should name our baby.
Taylor told me to say which name I liked first,
and then he would tell me what name he liked.

I said Norah
and he said Norah.

Then I asked him how we should spell her name.
"N-O-R-A-H"
"Yes," I agreed, that was how I pictured it spelled too...

....and then we started getting well-wishes,
in which almost everyone spelled her name N-O-R-A.

Finally, I brought up the misspellings to Taylor and asked him what the deal was.
We have always liked classic names with classic spellings,
and now I was concerned that N-O-R-A-H was not a classic spelling,
and that our daughter was destined to go through life with her name always being misspelled.

And so, 
late one night in the hospital,
we did a little online investigating
and discovered that both 
N-O-R-A-H 
and N-O-R-A 
are traditional spellings of the name,
the difference being where the name is from.

Norah originates from Ireland.

Whereas 
Nora is of Scandanavian descent,
just like my husband.

And so it was decided,
that our Nora would no longer be from Ireland,
but would be from Sweden,
like her ancestors before her.

Our little 
Nora June Oberg

11 comments:

Erica said...

She is a Frost! I'm part Swedish so one more thing that makes me say we're related! Nora is a sweet babe. can I come next week?

Jed and Kera said...

Well I love either spelling...but it is extra special to be from her heritage. We both really wanted a Welsh name for baby girl because we are both very Welsh with Irish mixed in there. But most Welsh names are so harsh sounding. Any way she os beautiful and I love her name.

cheeks said...

oh boy....that is tricky, but i love that you stuck to your roots! nora is just perfect! i love her already! we had a hard time with Jet...one or two "T's??" People always spell my name wrong and are already spelling Emri's name wrong. Sounds like either way people get confused!! Can't wait to meet her! I still need to talk to you and hear all the details!

leah jane said...

Love this. Love her. Love the name. Love e spelling. And love the heritage behind it.

Erik said...

so sweet! Oh I can't wait to hold her and meet her! Oh I am SO excited for her to meet her cousin too they ARE going to be very best buddies, she is so sweet and looks so chunky! love those cheeks, I think she looks like her big sis :) so sweet and i like nora spelled either way, i'm the same I would hate my daughter going through life having her name spelled wrong! good choice :)

KCraig said...

"h" or no "h" nora is absolutely adorable. I can't wait to come see her.

The Shaws said...

She is beautiful!! Congrats!

Melissa Rees said...

I'm Swedish too and like Nora better! Congrats on the cute baby!

Steven and Megan said...

She is so adorable :) Nora fits her perfectly

rupee40 said...

Congratulations!! We are so excited for you guys. She is beautiful and I love the name!

Sandy said...

Congratulations on the new baby! She is adorable.