When I took Hazel in for her 2-year appointment, they gave us a little handout of what to expect over the next year. One of the sections was 'night terrors in young children'.
Aside from the occasional comment about a "scary monster" or a "giant" in her dreams, we haven't dealt with that....
...Until she woke up at 4 this morning screaming "mama, mama!".
The waking up business also doesn't happen. I can count on one hand how many times she's woken up during the night since she was 7 weeks old and every time has been due to illness. So like every good "mama", I sent in "daddy" to do the investigating.
I heard Taylor talking to Hazel over the monitor and when he asked her what was wrong, she sobbed: "there are spiders all over my bed and I have to get away from dem".
Ironically, about 5 hours prior to this, during a conversation with some friends, I was patting myself on the back for teaching her to love spiders.
I have an unfounded, ridiculous, completely irrational, hysterical fear of spiders and I don't want to instill that in to Hazel. Lately, whilst playing with her friends, I've heard a couple of them make comments about how scary spiders are. I immediately go in to damage control mode and tell Hazel how good spiders are. How it's just Itsy Bitsy, and he's so nice and how they aren't scary at all. I really thought it was sinking in, because the last time I caught her talking about spiders with her friends, she said "I LOVE Itsy Bitsy".
Eureka! Mission accomplished. I'm a great mother...
...But, apparently the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.
11 comments:
oh my heck, i was doing the same thing at 4:30 am this morning w/ E! What the heck?! Emri was too beside herself to tell me what was wrong though :( I don't know if she knows what being "scared" is...unless we jump around the corner and yell "boo" at her! I felt so bad....Melissa said P has them too :( poor babes. I think i would be crying too if i thought there were spiders all over in my bed. sounds awful! i hope this phase doesn't last long!
Oh that is so sad :( I don't think our babies should be allowed to have bad dreams. I hate it when they get scared.
But I think it's good the way you teach Hazel that spiders are "nice". I do the same thing with Zoe and snakes. She loves them now! Eewww...
Oh my gosh, that is crazy! And right after our conversation too!! I feel so bad because what if her dream was a subconscious dream-realization of our dinner conversation?! Oh man, sad night indeed! That sounds like just the worst dream ever.
Poor Hazel. I use to have terrifying dreams when I was younger. My family still makes fun of me to this day for the "bicycle men"
On a completely other note, I loved having you visit. Every time I have gone into Hudson's room and see that big stuffed animal I laugh to myself with Hazel giddy-uping on it. I also read the Panda book to Daren and showed him the moon and the boat. Please visit more often! I loved that more than anything.
Oh no!! Deacon had night terrors really bad for about 3 months. Nothing would calm him down, but he finally grew out of them. And spiders really are terrifying!! I always think I see spiders everywhere!
Poor Hazel. It is hard being scared. I am impressed you have tried so hard to teach her love for spiders! I hope she grows out of it. I still have one about bigfoot who is the size of king kong. It started when I was 5 and had it again last year when my life was so icky. I hope she doesnt have it again. Good luck.
Oh that just makes my heart break for Hazel! I hate spiders so bad too. Darn night terrors. Hopefully they will be few and far between. This story has to be proof that irrational fears are genetic though, right?
I've had some doozy nightmares in my lifetime. One of the worst was about a giant spider. Absolutely terrifying! I also have recurring dreams that I'm a stripper and that I smoke...hmm...not sure what that's all about.
Sorry, double post there!
oh man!poor Hazel! I fell ya! Trae wakes up more during the night than Layla! it kills me! you would think it would be the other way around!
Post a Comment