Sunday, September 14, 2008

13

The number 13 is usually associated with misfortune or bad luck. In fact, in the US and Canada, many tall buildings don't even have a floor numbered 13. Personally, I think 13 gets a bad wrap and needs to be shown a little love, here are some little known facts about this controversial number:

The atomic number of aluminum.

There were thirteen participants in the Last Supper.

In Judaism, 13 is the age where a young man matures and becomes a Bar Mitzvah.

Several successful athletes have worn the number 13. Alex Rodriguez
is said to be one of the most talented baseball players ever and wears the number 13. Dan Marino, an American football player known for passing the 2nd most yards in NFL history, wore the number 13. Basketball great Wilt Chamberlain wore the number 13 on his jersey throughout his NBA career

In tattoo culture, where symbols often represent the opposite of their most obvious meaning, 13 sometimes symbolizes good luck, especially in "old school" style tattoos.

Youngest age a minor can be to watch a PG-13 rated movie by the MPAA without the recommendation of parental guidance or parental consent.

There are 13 players in a rugby league
team

The number of original colonies the United States was founded from.

The original flag
had thirteen stars, one for each state.

The number of loaves in a "baker's dozen".

The number of weeks that I am pregnant.

With both Frost and Oberg families combined, our baby will be the 13th grandchild.

Way to go number 13. Hopefully this will be the lucky week that I stop throwing up... Fingers crossed!

40 comments:

Monica said...

How original!!! I was wondering when the final announcement would come! Congrats! I hope you feel better soon :(

Wouldn't it be crazy if the little guy (or girl) was born on the
13th? I'm seriously so excited for you!

Susan said...

Never thought much about the number 13 but now I love it!! Can't wait for this little person to join our family. (Oh and add to the list--the 13th of September--the day BYU killed UCLA--Go Cougars!!

Erica said...

Oh your mother is funny for adding the BYU comment. As much as I despise(or so I'm suppose to...) BYU they sure did kill UCLA didn't they. That was also the day the Utes slaughtered USU.... Anyways, congrats! Who would ever had guessed you were pregnant...not me ;)

April said...

Oh my gosh! Crystal that is SOOOO exciting! Congratulations! I was wondering about the whole 13 thing, and as I was reading it, I thought you know it's true I've never had bad luck on the supposed unlucky Friday the 13th. How clever to throw me off! :) Oh I'm so excited for you, you will be one awesome mom. Congratulations to you and Taylor both!!!

hoLLY said...

Yay lucky 13!!!! I m so excited for you! Motherhood and pregnancy are the most wonderful things in the world! How creative are you! love it. Congrats! I think 13 is a wonderful number, our little Trae was born on the 13th so I have grown to love it! now with all your new stats I will love it more!Im sorry you are sick, don't hate me but the only time I ever threw up was after delivery.
anyway, congrats you lil mama!!!!

Alisha said...

Congratulations! We are so excited for you. I really hope you start to feel better, nothing is worse than constantly feeling sick for weeks and weeks, it starts to get to you. I am sure that being a dental hygienist, you will cringe when I tell you that I always had a piece of hard candy in my mouth. It was the only thing that would (sometimes) fight that urge to throw up. Good luck to you!

BreAnna said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HUGE LOUD INTERNET SCREAM!!!!! so the baby agents got to you too huh! See, they don't care about homemaking skills, ok so now we are the RDH nearly moms club, so any identy crisis?

BreAnna said...

oh ya and huge huge congrats!

BreAnna said...

AND I am going to go on a little walk tonight to that crazy street where I found the David Bowie Onesie, I really hope I can find one to send to you!

Carolee said...

Congrats again! I was wondering when the big blog post was coming. Very original. I hope you get feeling better soon and week 13 is very lucky for you! And yeah, BYU killing UCLA will help any Cougar fan feel better...morning sickness and all!! Can't wait to see some pics of you and the belly.

Melissa said...

Leave it to Crystal to win the creativity award! I'm so excited for you, motherhood is the best (and I have to admit the most difficult thing I've ever done) but anyways i love ya

BreAnna said...

well, you just go ahead and be the happiest girl in the world because you are now the proud owner of one teeny tiny "David Bowie Rocks my Socks" onesie!!! Can you email your address so I can send it to you!!!

Mike and Kim said...

13 was always my lucky number, whatever that means. I hope your kids has more than 13 teeth, and that he doesn't end up with 13 toes. Maybe you could call him Trece.

Congratulations.

And Kim says that you should buy the changing table for Trece, and let him sleep in the drawer -- that way you and Taylor will both get your way.

Donene said...

Congratulations! I was wondering if I had missed something on your blog after hearing the news on Saturday. We are so excited for both of you and sorry to hear that you haven't felt well, this too will pass.

The Perkins Family said...

Yeah! Congrats Crystal. How exciting. Keep us all posted on how your 'developing'. I'm so happy for you!

shauni said...

Congrats! I love the post, it was definitely worth waiting for. Did you know all of those #13 statistics off the top of your head or did you have to look them up? Either way, I am impressed. I will cross my fingers that this will be the week you stop throwing up!

Camisha Gollaher said...

HOORAY!!!! I was just waiting!!! I'm 20 weeks pregnant right now, so we're going to have babies close-sad, wish you were closer so I'd see you EVER!!! Congratulations. I'm so excited for you and taylor. FYI Shelly Geddes just had her 5th baby last night (Sept 15th)- a girl, 10 days past due but only 6lbs 3oz, and 18 inches long- just a tiny might, but shelly said "she's got a pair of lungs" They haven't chosen a name yet, but Shelly said "Clara" didn't fit this mighty little one, so it may be "Valerie" I'll let you know!!! Oh, and i'm having a girl- how bout you??? I sure miss & love you!!!

The Sayamas said...

Oh my gosh! Congratulations you guys!!! I am so happy for you! I'm sorry you're sick-that's no fun. The thing that helped me was pure grapfruit juice. A swig of that was so sour it took the nasty sweet throw up taste out so I could keep my food down. Good luck with that, I hope it goes away for you! You'll be such a cute mommy!

Anonymous said...

Crystal, Congrats! You will be such a great mom! This is one lucky kid, and I'm so happy for all three of you!

Kristina said...

What a great number 13 is. What a creative way to tell everyone... All I can say is CONGRATS.. that is great, and am sorry about the throwing up. Get the preggy lifesavers they really do work, or at least they did for me.
I don't remember if I commented before or not. I grew up by Taylor in Liberty, and when his dad was young mens president, my mom was young womens president. Ask Taylor about the time we all played the quarter game for an activited at the Oberg house..lol.. it was a good laugh..
You can check out my family blog at olsen4.blogspot.com.
Kristina B)Olsen
Again congrats!!!

Frost Family said...

Yeah but A-rod and Dan Marino never won a big game...Congrats anyway. Maybe he will be born on my birthday.

cheeks said...

WHAT, YOU'RE PREGO?!?!? HA HA HA HA! Melissa and I (well melissa) totally nailed it. I am so gullible! I'm glad you figured such a fun way to announce, i think this kid should be born on a friday the 13th! Love mike's idea...trece is a great name! HA HA Hope you're feeling better!

It was so fun to see you while i was home! I'm still laughing at the pic we took with melissa's camera :) Tell taylor to get with the times and get a changing table! It will all work out!

I'm dreading going to bed right now because i have to go to CE meetings at ODA tomorrow and i'll probably end up listening or sleeping because i don't have you and melissa there to distract me! Miss ya!

Steven and Megan said...

I'm impressed about how many friends you have. You two are the popular ones.... wait the three of you...

Megan passes on the advice of getting "Preggy Pops" They are supposed to help. Megan loved them. Even though it is hard candy... Why is hard candy bad for your teeth? I think whatever the reason, it is false. It a old wives tale to scare the kiddies...

Becka and Bennett said...

Crystal I am so so so excited! Cant wait to find out what your having. Being a mom is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done! Hope you start feeling better. Look forward to happier times...not giving birth, but after that! Little babies are so sweet and perfect and fun! You and Taylor will be the best! It will change things for you guys forever, and its exciting to see whats to come. 27 weeks and counting... hang in there!

Lonna said...

Well well well you little sneek. What an exciting announcement. Congrats to you and Taylor, I assume that he is the father, just kidding.

Look how fun the number 13 is. I am so excited for you. I really hope that you feel better soon. Throwing up is no fun at all. I can't wait to hear more about this adventure. Oh and who is your Dr. by the way?

rupee40 said...

Ahh, Congratulations!! We are so excited for you guys, you are going to be such a great mom, it's so much fun! We will be coming home for Christmas, we should get together.

Melissa said...

Ha ha. I don’t know which is funnier…how you set up this post…or all of the funny comments! Lots of wisdom. I loved “Look forward to happier times…not giving birth, but after that!” and “…hard candies bad for your teeth…must be an old wives tale.” But my favorite comments were all the BYU killing UCLA on the 13th. What a special day. Did that convert the Obergs? Ha ha Oh, and you can add that I was born on Friday the 13th! Best day in my parents lives!

Crystal I am SUPER excited for you! You will be such a great mom. I’m so glad that you’re blazin the way…so you can give me the real scoop about the whole process! It was so great to see you the other night! We really need to get together more often. Would you be interested in some MAC with me or are you saving up for a changing table?

Grandma and Grandpa Mac said...

We feel much better about the number 13 thanks to you. I wonder how it got such a bad rap? Did you know I've had some passengers refuse to sit in row 13.
Oh well, they don't know how good it is.

Waiting for your next post about this weekend. What adventure do you have planned?

Grandma and Grandpa Mac said...

Crystal, Harley and Buck's has a great web site.
http://www.harleyandbucks.com/
You have to try it out, and try the crab cakes.
I says they're opening a Carlos and Harley's in Eden soon. Don't know what type of place that will be.

Becca said...

WHAT WHAT WHAT!!!! You are pregoo!! I didn't know- CONGRATULATIONS!!

April said...

Crystal, thanks for your nice comment on my blog. I decided to comment back. You're making my head even bigger then I made it seem with that blog. You're too nice. If I can do it, then you can DEFINITELY do it. Good Luck :)

Carrie Jones said...

Wow! Hooray! I thought I was just out of the loop on you being pregnant, but from reading everyone else's comments, I've figured out that this was your announcement! Sweet!

Love, Carrie

The Sayamas said...

No need to worry! You have plenty of time! I found out at 12 weeks he was a boy, and I always jump the gun a little with everything in my life. I am not patient and Rory will be the first to tell you that, it often drives him crazy. Most people don't set the nursery up until right before. When will you find out the gender?

Aleese and Scott said...

WOW congratulations!! Barrick is the lucky number thirteen on my side of the family also. Those are the best ones! That is so exciting you two will make super cute babies. How creative you are what a cute way to announce it! Congrats and I hope you get feeling better that is no fun.

BreAnna said...

so tell me everything you know about 14 (you know you are going to have to keep this up for 27 weeks now) :o)

Cory said...

Wow, so many comments. Are you doing some kind of prize give away?

Frost Family said...

Congrats!! Were so excited to have little baby Oberg running around!

SHELLYFINCH said...

Crystal! Congrats! I'm so excited for you! And 37 freakin comments! You should be named Most Popular Blogger!

Erin said...

Holy crap, I thought I would never get to the end of your comment list. If only you weren't so dang incredible ;). The wedding is Wed. Oct. 15, and we're still planning on coming. We'll probably get there late afternoon, LeRand gets out of class at 2 so we'll leave about that time.

The pics I posted on the blog were taken before I exploded, so don't feel bad. Both LeRand and my mom say to me everyday, "Whoa, you're looking big today," and I wonder if they realize how awesome it is that they say that so much. I guess I'm not one of those women who "glows" with the pregnancy. I don't even want to think about long maternity pants. Boo. Or big bulky sweaters. SO hot. Can you still tie your shoes? I just stopped wearing ones with laces.


I'm so excited to see my cute pregnant Crystal, and I'm DYING to know what you're having. I'll call you before we come and get your address and all. weee!

Melissa Rees said...

Did I miss a post?! Congrats to you! I kind of suspected but had heard anything official. I just had my little guy and it was amazing! There is nothing like it in the world.