Thursday, April 24, 2008

Finally Rockin' The Utah Suburbs

Last night our eardrums were tickled (actually, more like ruptured) by the musical stylings of the most incredible piano rocker of all times (that's right folks, even better than Elton John).... it was none other than Ben Folds. We drove our butts all the way to Saltaire on a Wednesday night, waited in line for an hour to get through the doors, paid an extra 5 bucks to get up to the "adult" section, stood by a very large man that smelled like a wet cat, almost got in 2 fights in the parking lot after the show, got home at 1:30 in the morning and only got 5 hours of shut-eye until I had to be to work... and it was 100 percent worth it. The opening acts were fabulous (minus the Maroon 5 wannabes), Ben Lee was incredible, Ben Folds rocked my socks off and I couldn't have asked for better friends to share it with. Thanks Erik, Sammy and Joel for an unforgettable night. Unfortunately, as soon as I turned my camera on to take the first picture, the battery died. Lucky for us Erik and Sammy did a great job documenting the whole experience so you can go here to see the concert of the century.

Taylor and I got to see Ben Folds in Austin November 2006 when we went to visit Mike and Kim. The concert was incredible, but the best part was that we happened to see him after the show behind the club and obviously couldn't pass up a picture with him. Since I don't have any pictures of last night to post, you get one from a year and a half ago. Enjoy!

19 comments:

Melissa said...

I am the first comment, yeah! You always get like 18 comments cuz you are so cool! JK I am super jealous, I love ben folds five...Lucky! Renember when MXPX signed our...T-shirts when we snuck backstage?? LOL

The Obergs said...

hahaha, Melissa, I still had the shirt until probably a month ago... actually I might have folded it up and put it at the top of my closet. I don't feel like I can get rid of it, too many great memories.

Sammy said...

That was so much fun. Sorry Erik didn't send you to many pictures. he didn't have my camera, I can still email you some! I just don't have your email address. or your phone #! I was debating about whether to put the parking lot scenes in there, Erik assured me that I should put it in there! sorry! I can surely change somethings. And I'm totally jealous of that picture of you guys with Ben! wow, that would be an honor to meet him! get me your info and i'll get those pictures emailed to you asap.
samstersue@hotmail.com

shauni said...

You guys are such fun seekers. I especially liked the part about the guy who smelled like a wet cat. I can't even remember the last time I was up until 1:30 in the morning- you are total party animals.

Monica said...

I bet that was so fun! Trips that take a little extra effort are worth it!

I loved having lunch with you-why does it always take so long to get together?? It was great to catch up. Good luck on the triathlon!

April said...

That is awesome Crystal! I can't believe you got a picture with him. Colby and I were really sad we couldn't go. Colby had to work. I hear that you met our friend Bowen. He was there with Joel and a bunch of people. He is sitting here with me and Colby right now playing Xbox. Small world huh!

The Sayamas said...

That is soooo awesome! I went to a Ben Folds concert back in high school, it was a lot of fun. My first real concert unless you count the Beach Boys! You have always been so adventurous! :)

Steven and Megan said...

i'm extremely jealous of you... i haven't even seen him once but you have seen him twice... someday i will see him and it will be amazing. lucky...

cheeks said...

Saltaire IS WAY THE HECK out there...especially coming all the way down from L-town!

You guys are such partiers...you're always where the fun is! And i can't believe you met him last time! Don't you just love concerts....as if you don't already love the performers you're seeing, concerts make me obsessed for weeks after going to them!

Remeber our hygiene song by Dierks Bentley "come a little closer?...yeah, he's coming to the Ohio State fair this summer! I am planning on going....I WILL PURCHASE A TICKET FOR YOU AND MELISSA IF YOU GUYS COME!! (That's a deal you cant turn down!) He's a hotty...yes, a country hotty, but we got you to like him, right?!

So, i know the dh crew got together for lunch...you had to have taken at least one photo? Where is it? (sad face, pouty lip from me right now)

Lonna said...

I am more than jealous right now. That sounds like such a great adventure. I LOVE Ben Folds. I am sure that the lack of sleep was worth it. It is too bad that there are wet cat people out there. James and I sat behind a serious case of dog breath in a movie once, it was the longest movie of my life.

BreAnna said...

You guys are so much fun! I love road trips like this! I think it is great how much you guy guys are committed to concerts! It's awesome, you are like foodies but with music, I guess that makes you musicies, or musicista's!

Erica said...

Oh I don't know how you survived on Thursday at work. I would have died from the lack of sleep. You refer to people as a wet cat, which I actually don't know what that smells like but I imagine the same as a wet dog which is horrific.

rupee40 said...

How fun, and I am incredibly jealous! I must go dig out my old Ben Fold CDs right away...doesn't it always seem like there is a big smelly dude you get stuck by in a crowded place? How does that happen? Sound like tons of fun though!

Erin said...

Haha, what a blast, Ben Folds is great! I don't ever know who's coming to town anymore because we can't afford to go anyways so why torture myself (I just spent a whole minute wondering why "torcher" was underlined in red, and tried ending it with all 5 vowels before remembering how to really spell it; I need to go back to school). LeRand has NEVER been to a single concert; who ever would've imagined I would've married my opposite in more ways than one? We're like the yin yang, we totally would've been an arranged marriage in Asia. Your picture reminds me of all the pictures we had or should have had (lost prophets, johnny "trash", and the ones I can't remember the names of anymore). Good ol' days.

Rob and Bri said...

Hey Crystal! Sounds like fun! I went to a Dashboard concert out at Saltair and it is quite the drive, but I wasn't coming from Logan! That's awesome that you still do fun stuff like that. Maybe we would if we had money. It was good to hear from you and I'm excited to keep in touch!

Brian Arnold said...

How fun! I love ben folds five! And yes...I love my petunia pickle bottom! Oh my...I move back to utah in like less than 2 weeks and the girls are all getting together and you have to come! I will let you know the details...it is still in the works!...Emily

ShuaChelle said...

taylor...what up homes! let's be blog friends

joshua Barrett

Emily said...

Finally! I have a FAMILY blog now!
www.bandearnold.blogspot.com
Check it out.....Emily

Melissa said...

Crystal...are you in Cali or what?!? I am dying to hear about the triathalon.....